• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much should she weigh?

Marigold

Warren Scout
I was wondering what weight Flopsy should be? She is about 4 months old.
She also has ad lib pelletts at the moment as she is growing. When should this be replaced by a measured amount?

I don't want her to get fat :shock:

When I mentioned to my lecturer I had my (at the time) 13-week-old mini lops on ad lib pellets, he told me to stop.

So I guess your bun should be getting measured amounts. Be sure to read the instructions on the bag of pellets.

Like Val said, what breed is Flopsy?

I'm sure babies up to 4/5 months should be getting ad lib pellets as they are still growing so need all the essential nutrients? Just something I've done with baby buns at home and work. I would have thought that a 13 week old bun should be eating a lot as there is a lot of growing stil to do?
No expert here just what I have read!

Hey nicolar how you? I didn't get that job :cry:
I read that ad lib pelletts were OK until they were 7 months old, then to decrease them whilst adding different types of veggies. She has all kinds of veg and unlimited hay anyway.
The lady at the rescue place said she was a French Lop. She weighs about 7 Ilbs (rough bathroom scales measurement!) does that sound OK?

Conversely, apart from Chips who was starved by his previous owners, I've never fed a bunny ad lib pellets and they've all grown up fine. I prefer them to stuff themselves silly on hay and have always found my baby bunny tummies to be too sensitive to pellets to let them eat as much as they want.

Zeus had ad lib until he was 6 months as that is what his breeder recommended (they were the Excel for dwarf/young rabbits) - he did quite well on them and is not overweight - he is the right size for his breed and he didn't have any bottom problems but he did have ad lib hay too!

Caz

Yea, I was REALLY surprised when my lecturer told me to stop the ad lib! But he told me they didn't need it, and they've been fine on the measured amounts I've been giving them.

Like Bertie said, let them eat themselves silly on hay. It's the best for their digestive systems, and easiest on your wallet! lol

True! It is expensive.
I think I'll gradually cut it down. She does have ad lib hay but doesn't seem to eat loads of it. But then that's probably because when she sees me coming she puts on her 'do you have any carrot tops' face!!
Any idea about how much she should weigh? She looks fine to me, but I really have no idea how much she SHOULD weigh....?

Caz I love that picture of your bunny digging in the snow!

Hi,

Frenchies can get anywhere up to 10lbs + so for 4 months yours is about on target I'd say.

I would feed a measured amount of pellets (when she leaves some in her bowl you know you are feeding too much) so cut it down to what she would eat on a daily basis...feed ad-lib hay as well.

HTH

Blueberry is a french lop and I have recently stopped feeding ad lib at about 7 months as she seemed to be getting a bit round!
She has now started eating more hay.

Back