• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can anybody find any info RE rabbits, chinchillas and pasteurella risk?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I made a topic on it a while back of what animals shouldn't be housed with / around rabbits. everywhere I see people mention the risk of chinchillas and rabbits, due to rabbits carrying pasteurella and chinchillas not being very resilient to it. unfortunately I can't physically find anything. I was discussing with a friend as she owns a rescue and wants to get chinchillas.

I just wondered if anybody knew of anything? or if its just considered pro-caution due to rabbits being able to passively carry pasteurella without showing signs? :)

I have both in the same room. I just have separate cleaning items and make two separate forage bowls. I am really not worried

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

thank you Jane, I honestly couldn't find anything so I just wondered if it was a myth or something :lol:

not necessarily trying to scare my friend away but I just wanted to make sure she was aware. I know she runs a rabbit rescue and fosters a lot of the nursing momma buns in her home, so I wanted to let her know.

Apparently it’s a very long story but, in summary, it’s very low risk. Was hoping for a bit more info, I must admit.

Back