• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pepper's at the vets

mikek

Warren Veteran
He seemed his normal self yesterday. I opened the door to his shed about 6.30 this morning to let him out but didn't bother looking in. About 1/2 hr later i couldn't see where he was which is a bit unusual so i went searching for him. I eventually found him under a shrub and he didn't run off which is very unusual. I was able to stroke him which is unheard of, then I was able to pick him up. That's when i knew something was definitely wrong.
I brought him inside & he just sat in the corner but not looking too bad.
Anyway, called the vet, took him down there. The vet said he had a lump but she didn't know if it was his stomach or something else so he's stayed down there for an x-ray.
Fingers crossed. He's a dear little lad. The vet siad i should hear back from them around lunchtime.

Oh no I'm sorry to read this :( What a worry :( I hope it's something that's easy to treat and that the lump is just his stomach.

Oh Mike :( I hope it's not something serious :( sending lots of vibes for you and Pepper x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your concern.

The vet has just called. He's been x-rayed & she says that what she could feel was his stomach. She suspects a blockage, possibly hair. He's molting, so this might be the case.
She says they are going to try and give him medication to clear it & also do a blood sugar level test. Apparently high sugar levels indicates a blockage - although not with 100% certainty.
If the meds fail she says there will be a difficult decision to make regarding surgery. She seems to think surgery would be extremely risky.
She's gonna call back in an hr or so if the blood sugar levels are abnormal or later this afternoon with a general update if they are normal.
She is of the opinion it is his stomach that is the problem, not something else.

Yes, a high glucose level is an indication of a blockage. Hopefully, the gut meds will help this afternoon. I don't know how accurate an x-ray is in determining how blocked the stomach is. Did you see any fresh poo in the shed this morning or do you know when he last pooed? Fluid therapy would also be helpful I think.

Yes, a high glucose level is an indication of a blockage. Hopefully, the gut meds will help this afternoon. I don't know how accurate an x-ray is in determining how blocked the stomach is. Did you see any fresh poo in the shed this morning or do you know when he last pooed? Fluid therapy would also be helpful I think.

Hi Omi,
no, no idea if he's pooped lately....... he was outside until 8.30pm last night so i wouldn't be able to determine before then, and his shed has poop in from the last week (since he was last cleaned out). nothing looks fresh but it would be very hard to tell anyway as his poops are always quite dry.

Sorry, just caught your thread Mike, sending loads of vibes for little Pepper, really hope vets can get him back on his paws xxxx

Hi All,
The vet just called. Apparently his stomach feels slightly less solid & slightly smaller so she is thinking the meds might be working. He hasn't eaten so they are syringe feeding him & they report he is fighting back a little which is good news as he wasn't struggling at all this morning.
No poops yet though.
I was sick with worry this afternoon, so the above is slightly reassuring (apart from the no poops). I'm gonna pop down there with some nice noms for him. He's gonna be staying at the vets overnight.

I'm really sorry Pepper is poorly and having to stay at the vet's. Hopefully the gut meds and syringe feeds will start to work soon and you'll start getting some poops. Personally I do find it encouraging when they start to get a bit feisty.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back