• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye cream for rabbits

WelshBunny

Young Bun
Hey!

Thanks for all the help in behaviour and bonding so far. :)

My two are still bonding but things are improving by the hour. I'm considering moving them to the office so they can have more quiet time in the evening as I have an inkling that having them in neutral territory in the living room (where we are active in the evening) is leading to more scuffles then when my boy would normally be snoozing and super chill. Will have to see.

His eye (around it) is sore and red and he saw the vet Monday this week to have the dye in his eye to check it out and check his other nips just in case. He's on antibiotics as he had sore male parts (he's neutered but was humping - this looks so much better now and so much less inflamed) and I will speak to the vet about extending this if his eye does not improive. If his eye does not look better tomorrow, I will take him back to the vet, of course!

Now, question! I have an extensive equine first aid kit but not so much for rabbits. Are there any eye creams that anyone could recommend for this, please, to keep in my kit and also maybe a general wound cream? I'm assuming it won't be needed too much but good to have on hand! I will be placing a Viovet order soon so I thought getting some bits in would be helpful there.

Again, I stress he will be back with the vet tomorrow (with his companion in the same carrier, of course) if there's no improvement but they are getting better and better by the day. Thanks in advance! :)

Hey!

Thanks for all the help in behaviour and bonding so far. :)

My two are still bonding but things are improving by the hour. I'm considering moving them to the office so they can have more quiet time in the evening as I have an inkling that having them in neutral territory in the living room (where we are active in the evening) is leading to more scuffles then when my boy would normally be snoozing and super chill. Will have to see.

His eye (around it) is sore and red and he saw the vet Monday this week to have the dye in his eye to check it out and check his other nips just in case. He's on antibiotics as he had sore male parts (he's neutered but was humping - this looks so much better now and so much less inflamed) and I will speak to the vet about extending this if his eye does not improive. If his eye does not look better tomorrow, I will take him back to the vet, of course!

Now, question! I have an extensive equine first aid kit but not so much for rabbits. Are there any eye creams that anyone could recommend for this, please, to keep in my kit and also maybe a general wound cream? I'm assuming it won't be needed too much but good to have on hand! I will be placing a Viovet order soon so I thought getting some bits in would be helpful there.

Again, I stress he will be back with the vet tomorrow (with his companion in the same carrier, of course) if there's no improvement but they are getting better and better by the day. Thanks in advance! :)

Personally I would ask the Vet about what 'First Aid' products may be safe/appropriate to keep on stand-by. Some products can actually make the problem worse. Do you know the cause of your Bunny's sore eye ?

Hey, thanks for replying! My vet doesn't seem 100% up to scratch (but I'm quite picky) as they didn't supply painkillers after neutering, despite me going back as he was uncomfortable and got an infection (I had antibiotics for that, all cleared up nicely back then). I don't honestly trust that they will be able to advise here and I'm looking for a new vet locally that is rabbit savvy and also offers emergency services.

He acquired the scratches and "roughed up" bits around his eye as he's being bonded and his companion hit him when he tried to mount her. However, she's not doing that now and they are coming along very nicely! It looks better even now but he will be going back in tomorrow to the vet though if it looks worse or if I'm concerned.

Hey, thanks for replying! My vet doesn't seem 100% up to scratch (but I'm quite picky) as they didn't supply painkillers after neutering, despite me going back as he was uncomfortable and got an infection (I had antibiotics for that, all cleared up nicely back then). I don't honestly trust that they will be able to advise here and I'm looking for a new vet locally that is rabbit savvy and also offers emergency services.

He acquired the scratches and "roughed up" bits around his eye as he's being bonded and his companion hit him when he tried to mount her. However, she's not doing that now and they are coming along very nicely! It looks better even now but he will be going back in tomorrow to the vet though if it looks worse or if I'm concerned.

Maybe you could locate a more Rabbit Savvy Vet from here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Back