• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's been a long night...

I had to take Snoopy to the vet yesterday afternoon as he was starting to tummy press and refuse food. No obvious issues on examination. He is going through another moult and that does seem to trigger gut slow downs despite my best efforts to prevent it.

He always likes to sleep on my bed when he's poorly and he was there for the rest of the day. He wasn't eating for himself but was taking the syringe feeds well. He was still there when I went to bed. Problem is that he likes to perch himself right at the end of the bed. I couldn't sleep because I was so worried he'd fall off. The other thing keeping me awake was the fact he'd had no output for several hours (I'd been giving him gut meds). Finally he pooped at around 1 am. Then at 3 am he started to nibble on some hay and some parsley. I thought I could at last get some sleep.

At around 4.30 I was awoken by a commotion. Snoopy was off the bed and scrapping with Fudgie. Not a full lock on fight thank goodness, but chasing round in circles so it probably would have got to that point if I hadn't leapt out of bed to intervene. I gave up on sleep at that point. I decided to monitor their interactions rather than separating. Seems that Fudgie keeps getting in his face and he's reacting. It's calmed down a bit now, he's gone from grunting and lunging at her to just grunting at her when she does it and she's running away rather than retaliating. I just wish she'd stop winding him up!

He's only really nibbling at food so for the time being I think he needs to be topped up with syringe feeds. Problem is he's really cheesed off about it which isn't helping the friction between him and Fudgie. I'm hoping his appetite perks up during the day and I can stop doing it. But I've made the decision that I'll carry on syringe feeding as long as necessary to get him through this episode and deal with any problems between him and Fudgie later. I've got my fingers crossed they'll be ok once he's better. I will separate them for short periods when I'm not there to monitor them, such as when I go for a shower. I don't want to risk a full blown fight breaking out as that will make things harder down the line.

I'm just so glad I work from home. Means I can look after Snoops and hopefully I'll be able to grab a nap at lunchtime!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh Snoopy :( What a worry you are with your moults :(

I hope things resolve themselves a bit today, so that Snoopy starts eating properly, Fudgie stops being a nuisance and Scrappy catches up with some sleep.

As an aside both of my rabbits seem to have been moulting for weeks!

Thanks Omi. Whoever said pets were supposed to be great stress relievers clearly never had bunnies!

Good news is that Snoopy is quite active this morning. He's back on the bed and has been busying himself vigorously rearranging the bed sheets. He's also done lots of poops. Incidentally, last night he got off the bed and went into the litter tray to do his poops but decided to do a big wee on the bed. Really wish it had been the other way round!

oh no so sorry, poor Snoopy, poor you ! He does sound a lot livelier this morning doesn't he, poops good, wet bed-not ! :roll: hope he keeps well now, and really hope you managed to get some well earned sleep. Bunnies ! they give you grey hairs :shock:

Thanks Petsmum and Zoobec xx

Well the poops are coming thick and fast. However he's still not eating much for himself. I think the problem is that he's preferring to stay on the bed rather than come down to eat. So I decided to just put a load of hay and fresh herbs on the bed to tempt him. I've done that in the full knowledge that it will probably encourage him to use my bed as a toilet and that I'll be pulling hay out of my pajamas for the next ten years! Although funnily enough it's bugging me more that the bed's unmade rather than the fact it's covered in hay and poops.

Goodness knows what state my bed's going to be in by this evening! Oh well, the bed sheets can be bunged in the washing machine. The only thing I care about at the moment is that Snoops gets better.

Nomming vibes for Snoopy & be a nice nurse bun vibes for Fudgie. Hoping all improves today xx

Thanks J&B xx

Good news is that he's tucking into his hay now so I've decided to suspend the syringe feeding for the time being. He's also off the bed, which is normally an indication that he's turning the corner and is starting to feel better. Fudgie is still being a little mare though...

I forgot to mention, when we were at the vet's yesterday, I was talking to the vet and he suddenly leapt off the table into my arms. At first I thought "Aww he wants a cuddle from me to feel better". Then he started to try and climb over my shoulder and I realised he was just using me as an escape route. Thanks Snoops, you couldn't let me have that moment of self delusion.

Glad he's feeling a bit better and munching on his hay. Using your bed as a hay box/litter tray, now thats bunny dedication :D really hope he's continues ok :D fudgie, be a good girl :wave:

I forgot to mention, when we were at the vet's yesterday, I was talking to the vet and he suddenly leapt off the table into my arms. At first I thought "Aww he wants a cuddle from me to feel better". Then he started to try and climb over my shoulder and I realised he was just using me as an escape route. Thanks Snoops, you couldn't let me have that moment of self delusion.
This is always my first thought, but Lopsy was actually affectionate once! Gah, bunnies!

Hope Snoopy continues to improve :D

I am really sorry to hear that Snoopy has been unwell but i am so relieved that the poops are coming thick and fast :D

Fingers crossed that they settle down when Snoopy is feeling less grouchy. Sending you lots of catching up on sleep and chocolate vibes xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks Loobers. xx

Well I had a nap when I finished work for the day. I was quickly woken up as they kicked off again big time. Bloody hell. So I've decided to separate them for tonight. Firstly because I really need a decent night's sleep and I can't be doing with getting up every 5 minutes to break up fights. Secondly I think that until Snoopy is 100% better things are going to be spikey between them so best not to let them rile each other up. I'll assess how things are in the morning and decide how best to proceed from there. I should know in a few days whether they'll sort themselves out or whether I'll have to do another rebond.

Goodness knows if I'm doing the right thing. I'm just going by my gut at the moment. Fudgie and Snoops are usually very loved up but they do have their Taylor and Burton moments!

Thanks J&B xx

Good news is that he's tucking into his hay now so I've decided to suspend the syringe feeding for the time being. He's also off the bed, which is normally an indication that he's turning the corner and is starting to feel better. Fudgie is still being a little mare though...

Ha ha. I pretend to myself that when Mousey does this it is out of love.

So pleased Snoop is eating hay. Good boy :love:

Thanks Loobers. xx

Well I had a nap when I finished work for the day. I was quickly woken up as they kicked off again big time. Bloody hell. So I've decided to separate them for tonight. Firstly because I really need a decent night's sleep and I can't be doing with getting up every 5 minutes to break up fights. Secondly I think that until Snoopy is 100% better things are going to be spikey between them so best not to let them rile each other up. I'll assess how things are in the morning and decide how best to proceed from there. I should know in a few days whether they'll sort themselves out or whether I'll have to do another rebond.

Goodness knows if I'm doing the right thing. I'm just going by my gut at the moment. Fudgie and Snoops are usually very loved up but they do have their Taylor and Burton moments!

I'd separate too. Better safe than sorry. Wishing you a peaceful night xx

I hope that things have calmed down and that your two are back to normal. Also hoping that you had a wonderful night's sleep :)

Thank you both xx

I feel a lot better after a good night's sleep. Fighting fit and ready to face the challenges of the day.

Ok, so Snoopy is ensconced in the bedroom while Fudgie has full run of the rest of the flat. I opened up the bedroom first thing to see how they interact. Fudgie has been quite cautious. She hasn't gone steaming in, just really popped her head in. Snoopy just gave her "the look" and she scarpered. I'm encouraged by the fact that she seems to finally understand she needs to back off a bit, give him some space and not get in his face so much. Also encouraged that Snoopy didn't immediately go for her.

So plan of action now is to let them sort themselves out, but I'll be watching them like a hawk. I'll still separate them when I'm not there just as a precaution.

Thank you both xx

I feel a lot better after a good night's sleep. Fighting fit and ready to face the challenges of the day.

Ok, so Snoopy is ensconced in the bedroom while Fudgie has full run of the rest of the flat. I opened up the bedroom first thing to see how they interact. Fudgie has been quite cautious. She hasn't gone steaming in, just really popped her head in. Snoopy just gave her "the look" and she scarpered. I'm encouraged by the fact that she seems to finally understand she needs to back off a bit, give him some space and not get in his face so much. Also encouraged that Snoopy didn't immediately go for her.

So plan of action now is to let them sort themselves out, but I'll be watching them like a hawk. I'll still separate them when I'm not there just as a precaution.

So sorry I missed this! I hope they'll figure it out themselves, buns are a nightmare for this [emoji51]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Graciee. Oh I know, they really can be a pain in the bum with their histrionics. This is the first time they've fallen out when one of them is unwell. Funnily enough, I took the bunnies with me when I went to stay with a friend a couple of months ago when my flat was being redecorated. I thought we'd have issues as it was a new environment, but they were perfectly fine!

Well not much to report from today. Fudgie has mainly been leaving him alone which is good. They've gone nose to nose a couple of times. First time they just started at each other for about 10 seconds, then Snoopy grunted and Fudgie ran off. Second time there was no reaction from either of them. So it looks like they're starting to sort themselves out. I'll have to stay on my toes though as I think we're still in the danger zone!

Sorry to read of the last few days with Snoopy but pleased that things are stabilising. I hope you can find time to get rest and look after yourself as well as Snoops and Fudgie.
Sending vibes for Snoopy and Fudgie and hugs for you. xx

Good girl Fudgie - you are doing well learning. I hope Snoopy is continuing to do well / eat & poop more? Is Snoop top bun i your house?

Back