• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hair inside eyelid/tear duct area

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Obi has been having some discomfort with his eyes causing him to scratch them. I thought he had a blocked tear duct which could be flushed during his neuter so I hadn't taken him to the vet for it until today (RHD2 vaccine and book neuter).
The vet had a look and showed me that he had some hair growing kind of on the reverse of the tear duct. They're going to have a better look when he goes under for the neuter on Thursday but I'd like to have a handle on what the deal is, what they might have to do etc before he goes.

I hadn't seen this particular vet before and I'm not sure how clued up on rabbits she is so it might be completely normal. The vet doing the neuter and having a better look is one I'm more confident with.

Assuming it is a problem, does anyone have an idea what should be done about it or what the long term prognosis is?

They look pretty normal most of the time, just a little irritated if he's been scratching - this pic was the day after the worst scratch he'd done.
149bgaa.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou Jane.
Unfortunately a lot of it doesn't make much sense to me but I guess I'll just tell them if he needs some eyelid removed to go ahead and do it. Because of where it is I can't fathom how they would be able to remove any but I guess that's why I'm not a vet!

Thankyou Jane.
Unfortunately a lot of it doesn't make much sense to me but I guess I'll just tell them if he needs some eyelid removed to go ahead and do it. Because of where it is I can't fathom how they would be able to remove any but I guess that's why I'm not a vet!

The condition is not uncommon in breeds such as French Lops and Continental Giants. Usually corrective surgery at the onset of diagnosis is curative :)

Thanks again Jane, always good to have you around!

Looking at the article more I'm not sure that's what he's got. It looked like normal fur rather than eyelashes, and all his eyelashes seem to point the right way. It's also behind the tear duct where the two lids meet (best I can describe it) rather than on the back of the lids.
I'm going to try and take a better look at him when I get in, maybe get OH to hold him so I can take a close up photo.

Thanks again Jane, always good to have you around!

Looking at the article more I'm not sure that's what he's got. It looked like normal fur rather than eyelashes, and all his eyelashes seem to point the right way. It's also behind the tear duct where the two lids meet (best I can describe it) rather than on the back of the lids.
I'm going to try and take a better look at him when I get in, maybe get OH to hold him so I can take a close up photo.

Sometimes a Rabbit in moult will get a gunky eye, it may be something as simple as that and not need any surgery at all. Just the use of some eye drops/eye wash such as this is all that is needed

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/g...ptrex-multi-action-eyewash-100ml-6824014-p-44

I have had to do just this for John Joe as his companion Dara is in heavy moult and he grooms her a lot. Consequently he was getting lots of her fur in his eyes.

My daughter (vet nurse) once tried to explain it to me in very simple terms; I hope I remembered it right!

Entropion is where the upper eyelid rolls inwards (and so the eyelashes rub the eye) & ectropion is where the eyelid (usually bottom) droops away from the eye and outwards.

There's also something called distichiasis (had to google the spelling lol!) which is where eyelashes grow from an abnormal area of the eyelid so I'm wondering if this is the case here?

Thankyou both for your time and effort, I really appreciate it.

I've had a better look with the assistance of my camera and it looks like it's possible his upper eyelid is rolling in, it's so hard to say. I guess all I can do is wait and see. It would just be nice to be able to have any necessary surgery done at the same time as his neuter on Thursday.

The rescue I got him from is run by a vet nurse so I might get in touch with her and see what she thinks.

Afaik all 3 are fairly common conditions in dogs so, even if the vet isn't very rabbit savvy, then they should still have a good knowledge of the conditions themselves.

I hope it's something easily rectified and fingers crossed it's something they can do while he's being neutered.

I've taken him down this morning and put a note on the form that if they can do anything about it while he's under then go ahead.

Last time I had a rabbit under anesthetic he died. I know it was a different situation and he was seriously unwell when he went under but I'm still sick with worry.

I can understand your worry and I'm sure it's going to seem like a really long day for you. I hope all goes well. Xx

Neutering went well but it sounds like the notes weren't taken / relayed correctly and she didn't take a proper look at his eyes.

I could cry. Barely held it together while I was there but no point kicking up a fuss with the nurse or receptionist. He has a follow up appointment on Monday with the vet who did the surgery today. I'll mention it then.

We've just got some drops for the irritated areas under his eyes for now. Nothing at all was said about the cause of the irritation. I'm frustrated and sad and a bit furious because I mentioned it at every possible stage. Feels like it should have been such a simple addition to the neutering and now he'll likely have to have anaesthetic again.

I’m glad that the neutering went well, but I would be so frustrated and annoyed about his eyes not being dealt with at the same time :cry: if he does need another op then I would hope you aren’t charged for the 2nd anaesthetic etc.....

Oh no, glad the op went well but sorry you have to worry about another possible GA. If it was on his consent form it really should've been done.

I thought he was just drowsy earlier but one of his eyes is basically closed up permanently now. I think I'll leave the ointment for tonight in case it's a reaction to it and give them a ring in the morning.

What an awful day.

I’m glad that the neutering went well, but I would be so frustrated and annoyed about his eyes not being dealt with at the same time :cry: if he does need another op then I would hope you aren’t charged for the 2nd anaesthetic etc.....

Yea exactly! I'd be so mad tbh.. [emoji51]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I thought he was just drowsy earlier but one of his eyes is basically closed up permanently now. I think I'll leave the ointment for tonight in case it's a reaction to it and give them a ring in the morning.

What an awful day.

Poor thing :( sending lots of vibes for him xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I am sorry I missed this yesterday. I am glad the neutering went well, but the poor communication regarding his eye problem is really not good. I hope the Vet contacts you ASAP today to discuss a way forward and to apologise.

Sending lots more vibes xx

His eyes look absolutely fine this morning. I'm going to apply the ointment on my lunch break and see how his eyes look after work, see if it was something to do with the anesthetic or if the ointment irritates him.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

His eyes look absolutely fine this morning. I'm going to apply the ointment on my lunch break and see how his eyes look after work, see if it was something to do with the anesthetic or if the ointment irritates him.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Sometimes the preservative in the eye lubricant used during a GA can cause a problem, especially if there was a pre-existing eye condition.

Back