• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with Jellybean

Beapig

Mama Doe
*This is a sensitive and difficult subject for me, so please be compassionate with your responses*

As some of you may know, I 'rescued' Jellybean from someone just before Christmas. She was being kept in a tiny chicken coop (not enough space for more than two hops) and she had escaped a fox attack not soon before due to not being shut in at night. Her previous owner didn't even give her a name and thought she was a boy. So when he told me about her, I couldn't say no to taking her.

Only a couple of months later, we lost dear Plumpkin. It was my greatest hope that we might be able to bond Jellybean with Beatrice and Hamilton when the time was right. Especially as Plumpkin was Beatrice's soulmate.

However, despite lots of different attempts, things really aren't working out. We have tried lots of different bonding methods. Conventional and unconventional. We helped her face her general fear of rabbits by bonding her with gentle Hamilton, with Beatrice being kept on the other side of the fence. Hamilton and Jellybean got on amazingly and bonded very quickly considering Jellybean was petrified of him for the first few days. But we knew that it was unfair on Beatrice to keep her on her own, so we would switch them out 50/50 to make sure they were both getting some love from Hamilton. In the end, I moved Hamilton back in with Beatrice permanently, because I didn't want to make her unhappy.

We tried bonding them a couple more times once Jellybean wasn't terrified of both of them anymore, but Beatrice really seems to hate Jellybean with a passion. My OH has been working away from home a lot, so it has all dragged out much more than I wanted it to. I can't bond them on my own really (another set of hands to break up a fight is useful) and having to move the dividing fence in and out of the shed every morning and night to set it back up as a run is exhausting.

What's more, Hamilton is intent on getting to Jellybean and has jumped over the 70cm fence several times. He's a very good jumper. It is stressful for all involved.

Beatrice has a big scab on her back from their last fight. She dug under the run and scrapped with Jellybean. Jellybean fought back and cut Beatrice's leg and back. Tonight has been worse. I noticed that Jellybean hasn't been herself today or had much of an appetite. I only realised when she was sat on the hack rack, so I could see her face from higher up, that she has a big cut on her lower lip. Beatrice must have bitten her through the bars of the run. It has happened before.

I wanted to believe that they could be a great trio, but now I'm starting to lose hope. I'm really sad because I've done everything I can for them and feel like I've failed them all badly. I'm wondering how to proceed here. Jellybean is staying in my life, no question about that. She's helped me to heal since Plumpkin's death. She is a very kind soul and a member of the family now.

I'm wondering if I could put a permanent wooden divider in the shed so that the bun's can't see each other. They would have to have individual doors into their runs. And the run divider would need fine grade mesh on it, so they can't bite each other through the bars anymore. The only problem is, I wonder if they'll be stressed out just being able to hear each other and see each other all of the time. I can't really afford to make Jellybean her own outdoor setup right now, and definitely don't have space for another shed. I don't want to bring her inside again because she's much happier outside.

I could save up for something smaller scale, which is still enough space for her. Any suggestions are welcome. Then there's the question of another rabbit. I would probably look at the RSPCA or Blue Cross to find her a match in the long run. A male would probably be the best option.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I'd really appreciate them. This has been such a stressful period and it has taken up a lot of my mental energy. Please be kind with your comments, because everything I've tried so far has come from a well-meaning place. I didn't want to give up on bonding them straight away because if it had worked out, it would have been the most practical arrangement. H&B used to be great in a trio with Plumps, so I had high hopes :(

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself. Yes, it would be lovely if all bunnies had a friend and never lived a day alone - but all she will be thinking is ‘How fabulous is this new life - all this space, hay and a kind person to fuss me!’ If she is happier outdoors could you perhaps make her some form of ‘catio’ thing off your house, so that she could go in or out as she pleased? (and therefore choose to be in your company, or not). You tried your best, trios are so rarely a harmonious - she is lucky to be with you x

Give it more time? If Hamilton is happy with either lady, can you continue to alternate him? Once JB is more settled, she may stand up for herself more, and have more confidence with H by her side. B may eventually give in as she gets used to the trio situation. I would definitely keep the girls apart for some time.

If it helps, I did a very slow bond with 2 girls and a boy recently. He was fine with either girl, but the girls didn't hit it off for a couple of months. One wanted to chase the other and she was spooked generally, so ran away - so a vicious circle. It was only when she settled down and stopped running that the other girl gave up chasing her. Both girls had briefly shared another disabled boy - one outside during the day (been here 2 years), the other inside at night (she was a young new bun), until he died. The current boy is a recent rehome to us. I set up a complicated combination of separate but adjoining runs so I could change the pairings around, but they all had close contact until I thought they would be ok together.

I'm so sorry that this is not working out :( Bonding is so stressful and when there are problems it certainly tests our self confidence. I'm sure you know deep down that you really haven't failed any of them :) They have been given the opportunity to be friends and, for reasons that are not their fault, they have decided that this is not what they want. I know that this is also not in any way your fault either.

So what to do now?

Firstly I would have a really good look at both bunnies' wounds. Bunny wounds make me nervous as they can so quickly become nasty/infected.

You could continue as you are and just give it more time in the hope that both girls will get used to the situation. Personally, I would not do that unless I could be absolutely certain that I could keep the girls apart, as I couldn't bear the thought of a serious injury. I am also of the view that some bonds will just not work, no matter how long it takes or how skillful the bonder. This is not failure, it's just making a reasonable decision in a very difficult situation.

I would be considering getting something like a S/H playhouse, one that has not been used for any animals, but just children, to avoid the concern of infection. You can sometimes pick them up quite cheaply. As long as it was weatherproof and clean, you could leave any major repairs and painting until you have more time. I would then consider another rabbit and have two separate pairs. Perhaps allowing separate time in the run.

I think I would also, and this may be controversial, consider getting the new rabbit as a partner for Beatrice. Hamilton, from what you've said, seems to want to be with Jellybean. And it's possible that Beatrice may be more easy to bond with a new rabbit than Jellybean.

Whatever you decide, I know you will have done it with the best interests of all of your rabbits. I hope that you can find a solution.

I would be considering getting something like a S/H playhouse, one that has not been used for any animals, but just children, to avoid the concern of infection. You can sometimes pick them up quite cheaply. As long as it was weatherproof and clean, you could leave any major repairs and painting until you have more time. I would then consider another rabbit and have two separate pairs. Perhaps allowing separate time in the run.
We got ours from Gumtree: it was £40, rotten in places at the bottom but we just cut that out and partly replaced it with bits we already had and redid the felt. Despite having it 4 years we still haven't gotten around to painting it or finishing it off but it's weatherproof and the bunnies are safe and they don't mind :) We were lucky that my friend lives locally to its former owner and was happy to store it for us for a couple of weeks until my parents picked it up on their way past in a van.

I am really sorry this is not working out at the moment. I can't remember but did you try bonding them in a neutral space?

Hi Beapig, don't be so hard on yourself. Bonding is truly horrific and previously I had three bunnies in three separate enclosures because I couldn't bond them. I think i would agree with you as you are their bunny mum and you would know when enough is enough for them. I think the cheapest way to house Jellybean would be a play house as mentioned above. Sometimes they are free but mine was £50. You could divide the current set up if you feel it's big enough? I don't believe that it would upset each other I'd they could hear each other? I know it's a stressful time now for you but everything works out in the end. I would just try your future bunny with them all and see who bonds together xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I can empathise with what you're saying. Its so difficult to know when to call it a day, especially as bonding can be such an emotionally fraught & exhausting experience.

I think Jelly would most likely live happily alongside Bea & Ham with the divider & wire. When I had my Trio & Rudey with a room divider between them, all bunnies were relaxed (& would interact at the barrier in a nice way) when there was chicken wire covering it. Once the wire was removed things went downhill. Trust is such a big thing for them I think it makes a big difference to know there is no way to access each other. Joey & Boo would get tetchy /prance around scrappy with each other when the chicken wire came down too - there was none of this previously so it wasn't the smell & sight of Rudey upsetting them. Of course it might not work, rabbits being so unpredictable so you might have to adapt the plan depending on what your rabbits tell you. A playhouse sounds a really nice option too if you can find a bargain

Nobun can say you've not given this bonding attempt your all. Sadly I think some things just aren't meant to be . Jelly has an awesome life now she has you, don't forget that xx

Thank you for your comments everyone. You're all so kind.

I think that there is still possibly a glimmer of hope. Yesterday evening, they were all laying down next to each other by the fence barrier. It was actually Beatrice and Jellybean next to each other. They weren't touching, but were extremely close.

This morning I had to run outside minutes after giving them their breakfast - Hamilton and Beatrice had managed to actually lift the wire barrier in the shed and get under it :shock: Jellybean was in the run and I couldn't see them from the house, but I could see fur floating in the air. To my surprise, when I found them they weren't actually fighting. They were just stood next to each other and didn't need to be split up from an aggressive entanglement. There was fur on the floor, so I had obviously missed a scrap. But they were both okay with no injuries.

In the past, we've been unable to give a full day to bonding, which could play at least some part in why it hasn't worked out so far. The last time I tried, after about two hours my OH had to go to a business meeting last minute, so I had to stop, as I didn't feel comfortable carrying on my myself.

This is the general dynamic in a bonding pen - Beatrice and Jellybean scrap. They will latch onto each other until they both become too tired. Then they'll lay down for a while until they both get their breath back. Hamilton actually makes things worse. He'll chase Jellybean wanting to hump her, which freaks her out. She'll bolt and then crash into Beatrice. Beatrice will take offence, thinking that she is looking for a fight, and will go for her.

This is all too similar to what we had with Plumpkin. After three days though, they were bonded. The only difference was that Plumpkin was very submissive. Beatrice would attack her and she wouldn't even move - she'd just look really sad, but she would take it. Beatrice soon realised that she was not a threat to her, and then they had a very strong bond in the end. Jellybean on the other hand goes into flight mode, which I think gets Beatrice more riled up.

My OH is getting home today and has a full week off before starting his next job. So we might try bonding them one last time, in a completely unfamiliar indoor environment. Whilst Bea and Jelly are both a bit scrapped up from the fur pulling and a few small nicks, none of them have sustained bad injuries thus so far. (To answer Omi, no infected wounds, just small cuts which are healing nicely) And if I ever feel concerned during bonding that this could happen, I'll split them up immediately and we'll have to think about an alternative long-term setup.

Beatrice is a very small rabbit, and I think she's scared of Jellybean (double her size) which is why she attacks her. Jellybean is actually gentle as a lamb though. Jelly only fights back to defend herself. She never starts the fights. So if Beatrice can have enough time with her to see that she isn't a threat, maybe it could work. I remember a breakthrough with Plumps on day one during the evening, is them all stopping scrapping to share food together. That felt like a turning point in a way.

Omi, I'd be hesitant to split up Hamilton and Beatrice. They are still very happy together and snuggle a lot. I think that Hamilton would love almost any rabbit he ever met - it's just his personality. He's like Snow White - he even makes friends with the birds, cats and hedgehogs in our garden :lol: k1984, I'm in South Wales.

Last edited:
This is the general dynamic in a bonding pen - Beatrice and Jellybean scrap. They will latch onto each other until they both become too tired. Then they'll lay down for a while until they both get their breath back. Hamilton actually makes things worse. He'll chase Jellybean wanting to hump her, which freaks her out. She'll bolt and then crash into Beatrice. Beatrice will take offence, thinking that she is looking for a fight, and will go for her.

This is all too similar to what we had with Plumpkin. After three days though, they were bonded. The only difference was that Plumpkin was very submissive. Beatrice would attack her and she wouldn't even move - she'd just look really sad, but she would take it. Beatrice soon realised that she was not a threat to her, and then they had a very strong bond in the end. Jellybean on the other hand goes into flight mode, which I think gets Beatrice more riled up.

This is what occurs in our bonds - or similar. Mousey takes flight whenever Boo or Joey look at her or move her on (the trio are not quick to reunite but I think J&B are reminding Mouse they are boss as I don't think there is real animosity & over a month only 2 very minor fur pulls). Mouse then crashes around & it sets the other off. They get hold of each others panic vibe very quickly don't they.

Joey&Boo, it sounds like we've been experiencing a similar issue there. If only we could tell them that it's going to be okay if they all just sit still and stay calm!

I have a sad update about Jellybean - when my OH got home today I asked him to help me look at her lip wound, and as it was black and swollen, we decided we had better take her to the vet to be checked out. I was quite horrified to discover that Beatrice bit her so hard, that she actually tore her lip down the middle :cry: Whilst the vet said she'll make a full recovery, she will always have a 'V' shape in the middle of her lip now.

I feel very guilty - wish I could have forseen this. We spent the rest of the day making a very strong barrier, both in the shed and the run. Fine mesh all around now, so there's no way that Beatrice can bite her again. The vet thinks that Jellybean must have pulled back with force when Beatrice latched onto her. Luckily, she is actually doing okay and continues to eat well. She'll be on Metacam and antibiotics for the next week.

I feel like I've really let her down :( My OH still thinks that we should try bonding them one last time before we look at other options. I'm not sure. But no matter what, we won't be taking any action now until Jellybean is better.

I am really sorry that you are having these bonding difficultes Beapig. You have a heart as big as a planet, and so kind and caring. You shower your pets with so much love.
I fully understand how you feel about things - and guilt especially. Been there - alot. It's because you care and that's a good thing. We all wish we had hindsight - it would be a marvelous thing. At least Jellybean will make a full recovery.
I'm afraid I don't have any more advice on the bonding - those previous posts are from RU buddies who are far more experienced than I. But I'm sending you hugs and I know that you are a real champion for rabbits - and those you have and continue to save, are all the better for having you there in their lives. xx

I am really sorry that you are having these bonding difficultes Beapig. You have a heart as big as a planet, and so kind and caring. You shower your pets with so much love.
I fully understand how you feel about things - and guilt especially. Been there - alot. It's because you care and that's a good thing. We all wish we had hindsight - it would be a marvelous thing. At least Jellybean will make a full recovery.
I'm afraid I don't have any more advice on the bonding - those previous posts are from RU buddies who are far more experienced than I. But I'm sending you hugs and I know that you are a real champion for rabbits - and those you have and continue to save, are all the better for having you there in their lives. xx

Thank you Craig, those are kind words. I just wish I had been more smart and put mesh over the run panels before a serious accident like this occured. The bars on the run panels I have are quite close together, but Beatrice has a tiny face, so she can easily squeeze her mouth through there.

Jellybean's pain meds don't start until tomorrow morning, but she seems okay actually. I just gave her some lettuce, and she came bounding up to me with her usual energy and enthusiasm. I think it looks worse than it actually is. But I still feel very guilty and wish I had prevented this kind of accident from happening, from the start. We live and learn I suppose.

Thanks Omi. I'm a silly billy :(

If you are, then I think possibly we all are. When I attempted to bond Tethra with the Dutch quad, he got a cut ear :( It happens so fast sometimes.

Bonding rabbits is not without the risk of injury I'm afraid.

Rabbits are so resilient, I’m sure you’ll be more upset about her injury than she is. That said, some bonds just aren’t meant to be and I personally wouldn’t try them again. Don’t beat yourself up, you’re doing a great job.

Rabbits are so resilient, I’m sure you’ll be more upset about her injury than she is. That said, some bonds just aren’t meant to be and I personally wouldn’t try them again. Don’t beat yourself up, you’re doing a great job.

I agree with this :thumb:

Back