• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heat! So helpless

Onana & Lukaku

Warren Scout
I can't do anything to help my two rabbits. It is almost 7pm and the coldest room in our house is still 32,5 degrees. I have given them cold pads, I have put ice in their water, tried to feed them vegetables out of their fridge and I have two big fans going. It seems to be no help at all, they are just laying there lethargically, not eating, not doing anything. I am so scared and hate this situation. I didn't know rabbits can't stay heat, I didn't know my country would ever get that hot, I have no clue how I could have prepared. Does anyone know what to do?

Hiya, it’s awful isn’t it. Try freezing bottles of water, then put them next to them. Also try wiping their ears with water too. Best of luck.

You could try draping a damp towel over the fans. That should help circulate cool air around the room.

I hope your bunnies perk up a bit soon. If it's any consolation, it should cool down a bit from tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I can't do anything to help my two rabbits. It is almost 7pm and the coldest room in our house is still 32,5 degrees. I have given them cold pads, I have put ice in their water, tried to feed them vegetables out of their fridge and I have two big fans going. It seems to be no help at all, they are just laying there lethargically, not eating, not doing anything. I am so scared and hate this situation. I didn't know rabbits can't stay heat, I didn't know my country would ever get that hot, I have no clue how I could have prepared. Does anyone know what to do?
dear onana&lukaluk,--you are correct,rabbits handle cold better than hot..-30^c =85^f,-so you are about 88^f,-this is not good,but sustainable for the short time.[daytime].--fans are very good[air movement]-,offering cool water,treats[good],-out of the sun a must,--we can control their environment at a cost,-I found this out the hard way-$$$$,-if you can wet the paws/ears-[periodically]-these are areas for required-body- cooling --I have heard people freeze a jug of water-and placing near rabbits.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I have really tried that all. Nothing helps. It's such a nightmare.
It's okay, they'll be alright, it will cool down and they'll perk up, mine have been the same all day, they will start nomming hay again soon :)

You're in the UK right? If so it's meant to be much cooler tomorrow :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm with Graciee - my two have been a bit melty today in 35 degrees. We've had fans on, windows closed and curtains drawn but I have let them out this evening and they are chilling in the garden. I hope it cools down soon for the bunnies sake.

I’m sure they will perk up overnight as it cools slightly, and tomorrow if it’s cooler. Fingers crossed :thumb:

It's just about getting through today with the bunnies I feel! Once it gets past midnight it'll get better for them

Thank you everybody. We made it through the night but it was horrid. I always loved the summer, for me it couldn't be hot enough but to see those poor little creatures suffering like that and not being able to help was a nightmare. We will get air condition for their room, that's the only solution. Our cellar, the only room that is cooler, is full to the brim and dark and the fans did nothing to bring the temperature down. Thank you all again. I hope our friends all made it and now get a colder, less stressful day.

dear onana & lukaku,--in reading #10 thread,--I see [cellar]-when your temp reaches 30-35c+,definitely fit them buns in,-at least during the day-w fan,grasses/water.-this where/how my grandmom escaped the heat -sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

I was out all day yesterday and worried about my piggies!

They had all curtains closed in their room, a frozen large bottle wrapped in a tea towel and a damp tea towel to lie on.

I got home and the room wasn’t too warm and the piggies were fine.

Bit cooler today with a nice breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had all my curtains and blinds closed yesterday, house felt like a cave, but it certainly made a difference. Yes it's fresher today, and we've got rain all day tomorrow here :D hope your bunnies are feeling more comfortable now, they are lucky having you to care for them so well.

I'm glad your bunnies are doing so much better today. At least it's a bit cooler today, although still quite muggy.

I actually had the opposite problem yesterday. Mine were still hyperactive and running around. I'm very fortunate in that my flat doesn't get the full force of a heatwave. It was still fairly warm though and I spent all day going "What are you doing running around so much in this heat?! You'll make yourselves ill!"

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

My two are still hacked off about yesterday XD They like to hold a grudge for a good 6-12hrs :lol: They weren't happy but they were never in danger, despite it being 34-35C outside at worst. Kinda wanted to take them to the cinema with us, give them a break XD

Back