• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny drinking A LOT!

Leelou

New Kit
Our new house rabbit Honey drinks a lot of water. She will get through her 320ml water bottle in a couple of days and yesterday nearly finished it in one day! Is this normal?

Our other bunny hardly drinks any water so I am comparing it to this but equally harvey could just drink too little water.

Could someone please advise whether there is a normal water consumption for a bunny? Honey is quite a bit bigger than Harvey so I suppose it could make sense that she drinks more!

Love Louisa xx

Hi Louisa, not much help but I will be interested if anyone replies to this as my bunny drinks LOADS at a time. I wondered if it was normal too. :?

320ml in two days isn't too much. I took Sheffield in when he was getting through a litre each day, and for a bunny his size (umm, I think ~1.8kg) the vet reckoned around 200ml a day was the expected level. Some bunnies don't drink much, especially if they're getting a lot of vegetables, but at ~150ml a day I don't think you need to panic, especially as she's a larger bunny.

Thanks for that Bertie.

She doesn't exhibit signs of having any problems or being in distress so I couldn't see why it should be a problem but wanted to check.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Love Louisa xx

My new one is a drinker but my 3 others are not. They hardly touch theres but its on offer for them any time they want!

Pippa is drinkin lots more water now winter has arrived while other 2 are about the same. Think it might be to do with her not having as much grass and plants with moisture in. She also drank lots more when she was eating the Excel (has got bored of that now!! back to a mix , I did try!!).

Perhaps cos heating is turned up more in winter too they may need to drink a bit extra if get a bit warm.

I'm sure as long as she is bright and perky it's just a normal thing for her :)

Nicola

Sounds ok to me!

Like Leelou said, as long as the rabbit's not showing any other symptoms, it should be fine.

Have you changed the diet recently? When I switched to a different hay (the Supa Excel forage, which I'm not totally impressed with), my two girls went from drinking aobut 150ml to about 250-300ml. They have no other symptoms, so they're fine.

Things to watch out for:

-frequent urination (either large, or small amounts)
-straining while urinating (it looks like the rabbit's perching on its toes, and remains in the same position for a long time)
-fever (hard to monitor at home)
-increased respiratory & pulse rate (again hard to monitor, but you can observe the breath 'movements')
-change in behaviour, such as hiding more than usual, biting at themselves, etc.

Thanks for that.

As I said Honey seems fine and doesn't seem to be in any particular discomfort.

The only thing I have noticed is that her wee is less concentrated than Harvey's which tends to be harder to clean off his cage (or the carpet!). But I presume that would be right if she was drinking more.

Both bunnies seem absolutely fine. They are fed on Burgess Super Excel and then have lots of hay and some greens and other veggies.

Love Louisa xx

Toby drinks a lot as well, and there is nothing wrong with him. Like humans rabbits may drink and eat more then others :)

Mine are the same....Roo doesn't drink that much at all, while splats will get through a bowl full a day (china rabbit bowl).

Splats does seem to drink and pee for england, his litter tray is usually pretty soaked each morning.......Should I be concerned about the amount he is peeing, he has always been a healthy bun.

Hi - my dwarf lop, usually a very light drinker has gone from drinking about 150mls a day to 400 mls :? should i be concerned?
i have just changed his food from a mix to a pellet variety.
he has started licking me as well.
he is kept outside in a garage, but the amount coming out the other end seems no more than usual :?

is this something to worry over??????

thanks

Does your bun seem ok, otherwise?

Changing the food could have a lot to do with it. I changed hay brands and all of a sudden my girls were drinking almost twice the amount they used to.

Pellets are dry, and concentrated, they will require your bun to drink more water to digest them properly. Check out my post further up this thread for symptoms to worry about. If your bun isn't showing any of them, and seems be happy and "himself", he should be fine...

Thanks :) Yeah he's fine in all other departments - guess it's the food although none of the others have done this and I've changed them all!

All buns are different, I guess! Keep an eye on him, and if he stays the same, happy bun, I don't think you need to worry...trust your instincts!

I've recently switched all mine from rabbit royale to allen & page natural pellets. They are all drinking more, I use 600ml bottles and some are emptied daily, all within a couple of days. I think pellets are naturally drier than mix so i wouldn't worry.

Only problem is it take far longer to fill all the bottles every day now lol

Yvonne

Yvonne, That's what I've switched to - maybe it's just its dryer than the others :?: So as long as there's two of us there is nothing to worry about!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest at Xmas!!!

Back