• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for 6 week old Bunny

moi

Mama Doe
Hello.... sorry for the long absence. As some of you know I lost my Bunny a few months ago. I was unsure whether or not to get another. Anyhow I got a call from a loved one who had rescued a rabbit as its owners where going to just let it go! So I have taken her in... she is only 6 weeks old. She is eating and pooping. But i was wondering if there is anything special I should be doing as I know 6 weeks is very young to be away from the Mother x

You can feed her more pellets, some people say unlimited but I don't like this, I prefer to up the protein by feeding some alfalfa hay as I think it encourages good hay habits.

Also as you don't know the history and what mum was fed I probably would avoid veg until about 4 months old. Either way introduce gradually.

She might be feeling quite scared, so I would provide somewhere where she can hide.

Good luck with her and let us know how she gets on :)

No advice to add, but good on you for taking her in, and giving her a home. Hope she settles herself in soon, bless her.

We've only had her a day and already shes comfortable in her surroundings, and eating and pooping well. She was fed on musili (hmmph) so I'm sticking with that and slowly gonna add pellets. She enjoys the hay too which I'm pleased about. Shall try some alfalfa too. So long term plan is to bond her with Benji. What age can you get a female spayed?

She is so lucky to have come into this world at just the right time to find a wonderful home with you.
Six week old baby rabbits can have delicate digestive systems as you already know. Slowly introduce new foods so her digestive system has time to adjust to each new food item introduced.

What age can you get a female spayed?

Technically 16 weeks if she is at least 1kg but alot of vets will want you to wait longer (till about 6 months) as it makes the operation easier.

Back