• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flies

TheBee

Mama Doe
Well the hot and humid weather coupled with an almighty storm during the night has brought with it a total invasion of flies :( Does anyone know of safe fly traps to use inside their enclosures? They’re 8ft tall so I can hang out of rabbits way, but I obviously don’t want dangerous chemicals etc in there. I have these https://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Intern...8b0-49c8-a8ed-a5b2ef0ffff8&pd_rd_i=B004OJBGYC and these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Re...=1563959788&s=gateway&sprefix=red+top+&sr=8-4 just outside their pens, and some mint plants dotted about. But I need to ensure that my more vulnerable buns are protected, as there are lots of flies in their enclosures which i haven’t known before. I will of course be doing regular bottom checks etc.

If you have a power supply to the enclosure, you could use a UV zapper lamp (not sure if there are battery operated ones). A fan will deter flies as they are less fond of windy conditions.

Old fashioned fly papers also work - they are just rolls of ultra sticky paper that you hang up.

Well the hot and humid weather coupled with an almighty storm during the night has brought with it a total invasion of flies :( Does anyone know of safe fly traps to use inside their enclosures? They’re 8ft tall so I can hang out of rabbits way, but I obviously don’t want dangerous chemicals etc in there. I have these https://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Intern...8b0-49c8-a8ed-a5b2ef0ffff8&pd_rd_i=B004OJBGYC and these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Re...=1563959788&s=gateway&sprefix=red+top+&sr=8-4 just outside their pens, and some mint plants dotted about. But I need to ensure that my more vulnerable buns are protected, as there are lots of flies in their enclosures which i haven’t known before. I will of course be doing regular bottom checks etc.
If it's a one off situation and you don't need a permanent method inside, could you manually remove them? We have this electric tennis racket thing that my boyfriend uses with mosquitos and flies... I wouldn't use it but it does work, is quick for them and just generally clears the space quickly and they don't drop too the floor because he catches them on the bat if that makes sense [emoji38]

Only other thing which I don't like but we used to use in France in the kitchen all summer, fly papers, my mum used to hang them from the ceiling. They work and wouldn't hurt the buns.

Sorry if I come across weird I really hate killing things [emoji38] but it's necessary sometimes, I have a vulnerable bun, and if I can't get the insect back outside my boyfriend gets the bat because we can't risk it :(

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

If you have a power supply to the enclosure, you could use a UV zapper lamp (not sure if there are battery operated ones). A fan will deter flies as they are less fond of windy conditions.

Old fashioned fly papers also work - they are just rolls of ultra sticky paper that you hang up.

Do you find these work? I was very disappointed with these

Fly paper is still the original and best :) Carnivorous plants do their bit but they're better suited to indoors as a method for controlling pretty small stuff (until they're pretty big), outdoors they're not really helping!

The UV lights seem to be OK in confined spaces eg kitchens. Mine did get some flies but I don't use them now. They won't harm the bunnies or anything else.
Fly paper is ugly but does the job (probably better than most things).

The UV lights seem to be OK in confined spaces eg kitchens. Mine did get some flies but I don't use them now. They won't harm the bunnies or anything else.
Fly paper is ugly but does the job (probably better than most things).
Ah I had it outside and it didn't really so anything [emoji38]

Yea fly paper isn't the prettiest, but it's very effective. Rough when something that isn't a fly gets stuck though :(

Yea fly paper isn't the prettiest, but it's very effective. Rough when something that isn't a fly gets stuck though :(
I'm always really sad when my Venus Fly Traps catch spiders :( They're a bit too small at the moment but they've been big enough in the past to catch decent-sized garden-based spiders, hoverflies and even honeybees and similar :(

Back