• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do i wait? (updated... fighting!...help?)

jredk04

Warren Scout
as you may know Miss Dinky Sparkles arrived here on Sunday.

Am i rushing things?

I've put her into Jack's cage to get her used to his smell. Swapping him to her side of the room. As she's only v little i've reattached the cage door to the dog crate to close her in so she's not too fazed by the space on his side of the room, in the meantime, jack is left to the run of the entire room. I'll post some pics up soon. Am i being to fast?

I don't know if i should give her a full week of settling in/swapping cages/sides of room etc before introductions or to put them into a neutral space for some bonding time. Should i even be putting her into his cage so early?

is there any benefits for letting them meet NOW or should it be better to leave them for a week sniffing around each other.

Jack is definitely up for a meet. won't leave her alone - sleeping next to when he can and sniffing her at every opportunity.

please let me know how long you left it before introducing a new bun to your established bun.

i just feel for the new bun. must be quite a shock to the system.

thanks in advance

Umm, well Gypsy arrived about 4.30pm and met Alfie about 7pm ;) They were seperated again for the night about 11pm and went back intogether the following day and haven't been apart since.

Gypsy was running around and exploring so she was obviously not to fazzed, if she had been hiding in the corner I would have left her to settle in more.

Go by your instincts, it sounds like she's quite at home by your descriptions of her exploring, Jack is obviously rather taken. He's showing 'I'm in love' behaviour rather than 'I want to eat her'. My vote is for finding the neutral territorary and giving it ago.

If you think about it, rescues have great success with people taking their bunnies along to pick their own friend. During which the bun away from home is introduced to a new bun with out any settling in time.

Good luck what ever you choose :)

Tam

I go with Tam on this one, go with your instincts can't say anymore with out repeating what Tam has said.

Angela

Hiya

We recently got a new friend for our house rabbit Harvey. We brought Honey (the new bun) in and put both of their cages (they currently have separate ones) upstairs next to each other. We just let her calm down for a couple of hours. Then we let one out and then let the other out and kept changing them over so they could each have a run round and have a look at the other. Then we swapped them so Harvey went into Honey's cage and kept doing that. Then we introduced them but they have kept fighting so we have had to proceed at their pace. It your buns are getting on and being together in the same cage then I would say fab news and just use your judgment about the whole thing and how close they are.

Lots of mutual grooming and lying by each other is the best sign I think.

Good luck
Love Louisa x

it's just SO stressful. A little fur flew and i've separated them once (with dustpan & brush - probably my fault as they'd chased each other back to their room where the fight broke out. i since then closed their door and moved the session to our bedroom).

Now in a neutral room - the bedroom....

Bonding Session 1 pics

warning - some a little X rated...

141204sparkleandjackbonding058.jpg

this sort of chase each other round and round is really scary. i'm not interupting as there's no huge scuffles.

141204sparkleandjackbonding049.jpg

141204sparkleandjackbonding050.jpg

these pics are quite scary!

141204sparkleandjackbonding045.jpg

he's just so big and she just gives it up & yes, they are the wrong way round!

141204sparkleandjackbonding043.jpg

some safer pics

141204sparkleandjackbonding023.jpg

he's flopped out

141204sparkleandjackbonding037.jpg

and this is how i left them.

141204sparkleandjackbonding002.jpg

things looked good....

NOW, spurred on by this morning. At lunch today I thought they would benefit from another session.

10 minutes and FUR FLEW! I'm in a complete panic. They were fine and happy then suddenly flew at each other. She was putting her head in a submissive pose to Jack. Fur everywhere. it was horrible. i used the dustpan to separate them. tried them together 10 minutes later and the same happened. I don't know who is the instigator it all happens to quick.

i think he loved her, but the feeling at the moment is nOT mutual. he didn't fancy going back to his room after either. in the meantime she cowered in a safe corner in our bedroom

i don't know who is more traumatised. Jack's got bites on his ears.i'm a wreck.

its all going a bit pear shaped!

plse anyone got any advice?

Take some deep breaths, calm down and try again tommorow :) Fights tend to break out when buns start circling both trying to sniff each others bum at once so if you see that happen its a good time to distract them. Chasing can also turn into fighting to so thats another point to distract them espcially if its getting heated.

How were they fighting? Its not unusual for abit of fur to get pulled out when they start humping, they tend to grab a mouth full to hold on.

There are positive signs like him being stretched out so don't be too worried.

Tam

thanks Tamsin

it's really strange having to go through the bonding process. i'd read all the bonding posts and knew the theory - v different in practice!!

poor jack - he's hiding under the table in their room now. he's flat out though; ears splayed everywhere and belly up - must be shattered!
miss dinky sparkles is sat in Jack's cage - poor luv. wondering what on earth is going on.

right. now i know for next time. as soon as the circling starts to distract them - water spray?

i really want this to work and all the early indicators looked so good. fingers crossed for the next session.

juliex

Julie - I think you deserve a cup of tea, biscuit and a rest :wink:

Give them some more time just being close to each other - without physically being able to get at each other.

Tomorrow will see you all ready for the next session :)

Have you tried feeding them together, or lots of toys - some distractions ?

I have found the best aid to bonding to be having the rabbits spend time together in a carrier. Car rides are especially good as they are likely to turn to each other for comfort. Or just having them in a carrier and move them around the house with you. If they start to fight picking up the carrier will usually stop them, or for a more serious bit of agro, a bit of a shaking. Of course keep letting them out to stretch their legs, preferably a supervised leg stretching together in neutral territory. Bathrooms work well for this. Giving them food in the carrier to share will help them bond too. They quickly get used to each other this way.

Oh dear Julie - sounds like you may be a nervous wreck by Chrimble -
naughty bunsters - and don't they just look as though Butter wouldn't melt eh!!

I think you need a nice glass of wine and a chill out session before your next bonding bash!

Good Luck with them both - I'm sure they will love each other and thank you in the end.

Awww Julie the pics are great, don't worry they'll get there!

Take a few deep breaths and have a nice large glass of wine :D

I like the idea of a car ride.

since Jack is a big bun putting Dinky Sparkles into the carrier as well would probably be an unfair squeeze. however, i do have a large/enormous cardboard box. it would be big enough for them to hop around. Would this be a good a good idea or is it too big.

sorry to sound a bit thick. but would i put the two rabbits in the box - keep them separated (somehow?) and then take the dividing device away when the car is moving. watch what is happening to make sure that they are not fighting. then if all goes well. sat next to each other... grooming.. what then? do i assume they've bonded? put them both in their room and see what happens? what normally happens after a car ride if it all goes well? does it always work?

any advice would really help to set my mind at rest!

many thanks

juliex
ps - i don't think i should drive for this one!

I tried to bond Totti and Brody last year before this forum existed. I let them loose in the garden and fur flew, it was horrific, all you could see was a tangle of bodies and fur flying. It put me off trying again and I've only just got the confidence to try again and this time, its worked a treat. However, they have been able to see/sniff each other all this time. Knowing what your nerves must be like, I'd be tempted to cool it for a while, let the buns see/smell each other and get used to each other at a distance. Let them dictate the pace. Good luck!! I know those feelings O so well.

thanks everyone

going in to see them both now. i've woken up feeling it's worth trying again this morning as they were ok with each other for the most part of their morning session yesterday. if fur flys again then, game over, and back to sniffing for a while.
will let you know how things go.
Juliex

Oh Julie just read this post! -love the pics!!

Good luck.

When Blue and Brian first met, Gillian told me not to let them circle each other, stop them before it goes too far.
I have to say it did help seeing an "expert" with them for the first session as that was the most nerve racking even though not much happened! -I wish I'd taken her up on her offer to keep Blue and bond them for me!

I'll be thinking of you today! keep us posted.

Back