• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

questionn hellpp..

ok i have a feww questions
1. Its been 8 or 9 days ( not sure what day they were born) How long do i have to wait before i can hold them and pick them up from the nest and jus play with them?
2. When can i pick up the mom? am i aloud to?
3. How long does the babies feed on the moms? when should i give it regular food?
4. When can i change the cage and completlet take the nest down?
5. When can the mom and dad and other babies all live together?(i have huge huts)
kk thankss soo muchh..alsoo i heard when they are young is that the best age to find out there gender?
kk thankss byee

1) ye u can handle them
2)sure u can , i had to pick my doe up during birth as she had difficulty
3)they r usually fully weaned to 6 weeks but as long as mom has milk they will try to feed from her
4)u can clean the nest out at 2 wekks but make sure they have lots of bedding
5)mom, dad and babies can be together when neutered (thats the best policy) male will fight together, and u dont want any more litters. Also if u have a male and female together with kits, the male will try to kill kits(not 100% sure but quite sure) and female will fight go get fid of male
becky

i sex mine at 5 weeks then 6 then 8 weeks, i do this to make sure im right and im alway curious, but older the better u can tell
becky

I would have to dissagree about cleaning the nest out at 2 wks, only my personal opion though, i find if you clean it out that early the kits tend to start coming out of the nest and in this cold weather its not a good idea. I would leave it untill they are 3 wks and just starting to get nosy about the outside. Changing the bedding takes away the smell of the nest. Mums can get cross with kits that come out of the nest too early. val

taylor v 109 said:
I would have to dissagree about cleaning the nest out at 2 wks, only my personal opion though, i find if you clean it out that early the kits tend to start coming out of the nest and in this cold weather its not a good idea. I would leave it untill they are 3 wks and just starting to get nosy about the outside. Changing the bedding takes away the smell of the nest. Mums can get cross with kits that come out of the nest too early. val

I agree with Val, about 3 weeks they DO get nosey and start to wander out of the nest thats about the right time to clear out the nesting area if you do clean it out too early they will wander too far and mum will get abit cross trying to keep them them under control, dont forget mum gets her peace whilst they are in nest :D

1. I use to wait until they had fur -- this is because you can be 100% sure that mother wont eat them, weather she rejects them is a different matter.

2. You can pick up the mother anytime you want. In fact its best to still give her attention.

3. This time can vary. You will see them one morning nibbling on solid food but they will suckle on mum as long as they are with her lol.

4. I use to ALWAYS leave the nest alone, until the babies were running about. I cleaned out the part of the hutch the mother was in though.

5. Toby use to visit his babies sometimes and he use to sniff them. But he may mount and crush them. He would defiantly mate and get the mother pregnant again though.

The mom can't live with the dad until after he has been neutered 6 weeks. Otherwise if you keep them together he will keep getting her pregnant as soon as she has had a litter.

The babies will need to be seperated into sexes at 8-10 weeks and again can't go back together until after neutering.

If you intend to keep to seperate sex groups then you will probably find the males still need neutering otherwise they will start fighting somewhere between 4-6 months.

Its really critical you getting the sexing right as just one bun in the wrong group could cause a population explotion of hundreds of babies.

Best wishes,
Tam

oops ye that what i ment when they come out of the nest, god knows how many litters iv had and can never rember if it is 2 or 3 wks old they start to come out but anit had a litter since about july
becky

Back