• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greedy Lilac ate some plastic

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I bought Lilac a treat from the shop and stupidly tried to unwrap it right in front of her, needless to say she caught wind of it and grabbed it with her mouth, and has now eaten maybe a 3mm square piece of plastic wrapping in her eagerness to get to the treat. I know this isn't unusual in some rabbits so am just going to keep an eye on her and not to panic! She did once eat chocolate with no adverse effects (although she went to the vet as a precaution) so hopefully this will pass through with no issues.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I very much doubt that ingesting such a tiny amount of plastic will cause a problem. The naturally highly acidic environment of a Rabbit's stomach would probably destroy it before it passes out into the intestines. I'd just monitor her poo output over the next 24 hours, encourage lots of hay/grass eating and exercise to keep he GI tract motility up to speed x

I very much doubt that ingesting such a tiny amount of plastic will cause a problem. The naturally highly acidic environment of a Rabbit's stomach would probably destroy it before it passes out into the intestines. I'd just monitor her poo output over the next 24 hours, encourage lots of hay/grass eating and exercise to keep he GI tract motility up to speed x
Thanks Jack's-Jane, I'm sure I'm just overreacting and that she'll be fine, I know from searching this forum that she's not alone on munching things she shouldn't have! It was my fault for getting too close to her with the treat in the first place, lesson learned!

oh yes, Luna did that once too, ran off with the whole wrapper, cue me running around after her yelling "LUNA" all over the house. that was an experience :lol:

I am sure she'll be okay, sending good vibes though xx

Luckily madam seems no worse for wear for her little treat!

She will probably start on a bin liner next !! My Bunnies are all totally obsessed with nibbling the bin liners I use when I an doing the daily cleaning out :roll:

She will probably start on a bin liner next !! My Bunnies are all totally obsessed with nibbling the bin liners I use when I an doing the daily cleaning out :roll:
Haha she's normally very good and doesn't eat anything she shouldn't in general so I'm hoping this was just a one off caused by the irresistible treat!

Back