• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trouble sexing a baby bun

CassD

New Kit
Hi guys!
Just after a bit of advice! My beautiful doe had an unexpected litter due to her housemate being missexed!! So I now have 6 gorgeous baby buns (they are now 3 weeks old and full of mischief!). There is one that is really close to mum, and it’s the only one mum will happily cuddle up with, so I was thinking if it’s a girl I would keep her to save the heartbreak of splitting them up. However, no matter how much I look I just cannot he sure on either sex! I have a picture that I’m hoping helps, but I have no idea how to add it to this post!

P.S don’t worry....all my buns will be neutered, I had it planned anyway, just the deed must have been achieved on the very first meeting!!

Hi there. It is very difficult, impossible sometimes, to sex a 3 week old kit. To help you with a photo look for the Tutorial. You will need something like Imgur. It can be found under the section "Help Using the Forum".

I really struggled when I hand reared a litter and kept changing my mind! I had them sexed at the vets for their first vaccination at six weeks old, and even then the vet took them through to the back to get other nurses and vets opinions too. For their 10 week vacc (RHD2) a different vet saw them and got two of their genders wrong when she tried to sex them again so it must be quite tricky!! Best of luck with them

If you wish to keep this one with mum when older. I'd suggest spaying/,neutering both of them, that way they can stay together no matter what the sex. At3 weeks it can be difficult to tell as they are still pretty young

I had the same experience with wonder litters resulting from vets missexing my buns. I would, however, argue that it is not impossible to tell the sex at 2 or 3 weeks of age, as I have learned to do it with perfect accuracy. This is not a boast, but rather pride in knowing that I do not have to rely on vets here who charge exorbitantly and do nothing to help, or even do damage when they missex. It might be more difficult to tell just by a photo, though. I am certain I could accurately tell the sex in real life, but just judging by a picture, I could not say so with conviction (though the better the quality of the pic, the better the accuracy). I have had horrendous experiences with trying to spay/neuter here, which I describe in detail in one of my posts, but we all know that our friend can become reproductive at surprisingly young ages, so it is vital that sexing is done as soon as it can be. Because I did not want to fo through the tragedy of litters and utterly incapable vets again, I can no longer afford to have buns of both sexes, but it's good to know things are different elsewhere, and that others have pleasant experiences, too.

I used to want to become a vet when I was younger, but euthanasias I could never preform, as I am unable to emotionally detach myself from the suffering of animals, but I feel organisations of just people who have experiences with rabbits, and do not charge impossible prices for advice, are sorely lacking, at least where I am located, and I want to do all I can to change that.

Last edited:
Back