• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just Been Sprayed Again!! Help!

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Hiya,

Well I've just narrowly missed out on having my face sprayed by my bun after I got him all excited with his mini football toy and he thought he'd repay me with a spray! :lol: Luckily it missed my face (phew!).

I'd had a word with my vet last month as I was feeling reticent about getting him 'done' as he's so affectionate and good apart from the spraying (which has started in the last couple of months). He said that I need to make a decision soon really as once they hit a year to a year and a half it becomes a habit and getting him done then will not make any difference (he's just 10 months now) - so it's looking like a New Year jobbie! Anyone out there got some reassurance for me that i'd be doing the best thing for him???? Help - I'm already feeling gulity!!!! :oops:

Zeus' personality didn't change afte he was done he was just as affectionate but he stopped running round me grunting and finishing with a spray. He still runs between my legs and follows me around etc but he doesn't smell as bad either!!

It hasn't made much of a change to my boy and it meant I could get him a girlfriend so I think for Zeus it was the best thing I could have done!

Caz

I feel the same at the moment.. My Simba doesnt spray or show much male hormonal behaviours but he is about 18months old now so im thinking i should do it sooner rather than later. The bonus will be when i am in a position to get him a friend which may be sometime next year.. in which case the op will be worth it in the end.

I got Mr Bump spayed at six months before he started spraying and his personality didn't change at all afterwards.

I recently got Gandalf spayed (and he's over 1 year old) as he kept spraying Mr Bump everytime Mr Bump came near him and if anything he now seems more affectionate :)

hi,
iv got a buck that sprays so i put him on the bottem hutch and doesnt spray as much now and if he does at least he only gets my legs
becky

Hiya, Having just had our two beloved boys castrated, I acn confirm that it has not changed their personality in the least :D ..they are still as nutty and the lovable little rogues that they always were, minus the frantic sex drive...I was concerned they would burn themselves out with all their sexual drive, so I felt it was both practical (to lessen the times we got sprayed!) and a good option healthwise for the bunnies.
I think their characters are even more pronounced now that the hormone drives have lessened a little.
:D

Yes my two boys were horrific sprayers, not a day went by from when they hit about 3 months till the day of their op when I wasn't drenched! :shock:

I think having them neutered was a good desicion, they had the op in the morning and were back to their usual bubbly selves by the evening, and no more spraying!!! :D

I have got three boys that are neutered (and one to be done very soon...). Their personality didn't change at all, but all the sexual behaviour stopped and their poops and wees stopped smelling strong as well. If anything they should become more affectionate as they can start concentrating on other things than just sex... :lol:

Vera

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry shouldnt laugh :oops:

I was almost sick when Mubby sprayed me ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

he loves you... be greatful ! :D

Hi

I Had a male Dwarf Lop (he died in May :cry: ) and he sprayed me in the face one day yuuuuccckkkk!!!!!! I had him castrated and he was fine, still the friendly chap he was before. The only thing that changed was that he didn't dig holes in the garden anymore!
My friend had a bunny who developed a tumour in his testicle and had to be castrated when he was an old chap and he was fine too!!

I can only go on past experiences but I learnt that my bun always used to spray when he got excited. This was usually when I got him out in the morning or when i got back from being out. Eventually, in the mornings and when returning I used to give him loves while he was still in the hutch for a couple of minutes, this seemed to calm him down abit and so when he came out, he just headed for his toys :D did'nt stop him doing it to anyone who entered the house though :lol: :lol:

It worked for me :D not sure if it would work for everyone though

Looking back, I can say that getting my Smokey done was the best thing although at the time I regretted it, because his personality seemed to change, he became aggressive when I tried to get him out of the hutch.

But now, he smells less and he can live with his twin sister again which he loves.

Thank you so much everybody for your replies.
It's settled my mind that I'd be doing the right thing to get him done - especially as yesterday he did it again and it nearly got my face (1 min earlier and it would have!! :oops: ).

Back