• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Have A Problem. (Updated)

~Lisa~

Warren Scout
I seem to have a problem and don't know what's the best way to tackle it :(
I mentioned a while ago that my buns could do with being neutered before Christmas, but it was suggested that it may be best to wait till afterwards incase anything went wrong over the holiday period.
I thought this was a good reason why to delay it, but now feel I have to get the job done asap as trouble is brewing. Today I went into the garage to check on the buns and found tufts of fur on the floor of their run. Poor Timmy was backed up in a corner and very quiet. After checking them over I observed them for a while and found that Benny was making a nuisance of himself and things were getting rather rough between them. I was worried that some serious fighting was going to happen.
With this in mind, I rushed out and bought some wire mesh and got the OH to make a divider to separate them. I was scared that one of them would get injured if I didn't do something. They can still see and smell each other through the mesh... I didn't want to separate them completely.
Have I done the right thing though?
I am going to ring the two vetinary practices I use on monday, to see if one of them will neuter the boys for me on monday. I really don't want to keep them apart any longer than I have to, and I hope I haven't made the situation worse by temporarily splitting them up :(
Do you think they will be ok in the end? they are 20 wks old atm.
I'm a very worried bunny owner.

getting boys fixed is alot easier than females!! A stitch either side is all they need :D

They seem to get home and get back to normal straight away. Just make sure they eat and drink and poop.

I think they will be fine together after the op. My vet put Bugzee (female) and Sparkee (male) together after they had the ops 2 fridays ago to help settle eachother. It was great coming in and seeing them together :D

Let us know what the vets say.

Keep us posted.

bronie

Thanks Bronie, you've made me feel a bit more at ease :)
I was hoping that getting them fixed asap, coupled with the car journey and having to stay indoors for a while, would be enough to make them quickly forget their little scuffle. Also I suppose whatever the sex, there will always be one who thinks that he or she is the boss.
Perhaps I've panicked too quickly and split them up without the need to, this is after all the first intense dissagreement I have seen between the two of them. Obviously if the neutering was left another month or so, the testosterone levels within them would be increasing, eventually leading to some rather nasty fights. Hopefully one of the two vets I use will be able to do the proceedure either tomorrow or tuesday, and then it will be my turn to pace the floor!
This is the first time I've ever kept buns together so it's all completely new territory for me :?

When I had Hoppy done years ago he didn't have any stiches and was back to normal straight away.
If there are complications there is still time before christmas to get things sorted and you could check how long the vets are actually shut for over xmas and new year.

Yep my buns also recovered very quickly after the op with one of them jumping a 4ft barrier the next day!!! :shock:

Hiya, you have done exactly the right thing, and separated them at the first sign of trouble.
The op. is only a minor procedure for the Bucks, and they will be home and back to normal again before you know it.
When you phone to book them in for the op, perhaps you could ask for the small wound to be glued, this saves the rabbits from trying to chew the stitches.

Please do not worry, at least you have taken action and got things under way promptly.
The boys are likely to be back together for Christmas , or early New Year if they have their op. this week. :D

Adele said:
The boys are likely to be back together for Christmas , or early New Year if they have their op. this week. :D

Ahhh now that's music to my ears! :)
Thanks for the reassurance, I will be on the phone first thing in the morning before I take the kids to school.

I'll be glad when everything is back to normal, I've been driving my OH nuts with my constant worrying lol.

Well this morning I rang my vets to see if they could squeeze Benny and Timmy in, to be neutered today. They said they had quite a few ops booked up, but would do it if they have time, if not they will keep them in over night and do it first thing tomorrow. I have to ring at 1pm to see whether they managed to do it or not... looks like I have maybe two days of anxious waiting. I feel sick already :(
Please keep us in your thoughts.

thinking of you, this was me this time last week...everything was fine though, and I am sure your darling boys will be too.
Keep us posted...lots of love XX

Fingers crossed for you. Mikey had his operation a few months ago and didnt need any stitchs as the incisions were so small. As soon as he was home he was back to his old self again.

Well thankfully they managed to fit the boys ops in this morning :) Everything went ok and I was able to pick them up from the vets at 4pm, although I couldn't actually collect them till 6pm due to other commitments. They seem quite happy together in my kitchen, and it was nice to see them having a mutual grooming session. Both have had a little drink and have eaten some carrot and hay so I am quite happy :D
Just got to tell you that the vetinary nurse made me chuckle when reading down the list of do's and don'ts, she announced "NO Girlfriends for six weeks!" :lol: lol.

Cool bickies :D Fantastic news :D

I`m please its over and done with as its such a worry :!:

Keep us posted on how they are going :D

hehehe :lol: hehehehe at girlfriends

bronie

Back