• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incisor removal, regrowing peg teeth

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
So, Gilbert my gorgeous Thrianta boy had his incisors removed on 15 November. I've recently become aware of his peg teeth having grown back.

He seems to be eating fine, he eats huge gobfuls of hay! He does have a bit of bother picking up small food like pellets and greens but I guess not having incisors causes that as well.

Can anybody offer any insight? Are they likely to be a problem? Is he likely to have to have them removed again?

Thank you.

So, Gilbert my gorgeous Thrianta boy had his incisors removed on 15 November. I've recently become aware of his peg teeth having grown back.

He seems to be eating fine, he eats huge gobfuls of hay! He does have a bit of bother picking up small food like pellets and greens but I guess not having incisors causes that as well.

Can anybody offer any insight? Are they likely to be a problem? Is he likely to have to have them removed again?

Thank you.

IME if the peg teeth regrow then it usually ends up in having to have them removed xx

IME if the peg teeth regrow then it usually ends up in having to have them removed xx

Thanks Jane. I was hoping not to hear that but expected it. He had a bit of a bad time after his neuter with his skin being inflamed and I think there was similar going on with his face after his teeth were removed. He had a weepy eye for weeks which was put down to unusual amount of swelling.

He's doing fine now but I'm in a right dilemma as the only time I can see his vet this week clashes with a rabbit talk I'm going to tomorrow night which I don't want to miss. He's eating well though so I've been persuaded to move the appointment to next week as I don't think it's bothering him unduly. I can come up with plan B if it starts bothering him.

Thanks again. His Aunty Sam did warn me that this might happen.

Ignore me, I just wanted to check if I had got the hang of uploading photos so my first is the lovely Gilbert

ruYVNuX.jpg

Haha Gilbert, is that what you think of RU :lol: You are extremely beautiful though :love:

Haha Gilbert, is that what you think of RU :lol: You are extremely beautiful though :love:

Thank you, he is indeed extremely beautiful, though not beautiful enough for a BRC ring, apparently (his sister had one). I'm guessing that's because if his wonky teeth.

He's a lovely colour. What happened re his peg teeth. My Vet said Fiver didn't need to have them out!

He's a lovely colour. What happened re his peg teeth. My Vet said Fiver didn't need to have them out!

They have grown longish again but he had them clipped when he had his Filavac vaccination done. She said she was only doing it as she "might as well, as he's here", but not to worry too much. If they look long he can have them done again but the vet doesn't feel a GA to take them out is necessary and they should break off usually before they get long.

They have grown longish again but he had them clipped when he had his Filavac vaccination done. She said she was only doing it as she "might as well, as he's here", but not to worry too much. If they look long he can have them done again but the vet doesn't feel a GA to take them out is necessary and they should break off usually before they get long.

This is interesting! I will just keep an eye on his ability to eat. Thanks.

Back