• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pets at home scandle

taylor v 109

Mama Doe
I have today been to pets at home at my local branch at charlton se london and was shocked at whot i saw. 2 babyy rabbits up for sale that were ill and when i checked them they had ME [ mucroid enterrites] 2 rabbits so bloated that they were grinding their teeth and 2 that had no flesh on there backs and you could count the bones of their spines.well needless to say i raised hell and made them remove the bunnies concerend, their was no manager at the time so ill be back on monday to find out whot has happened. Youve never seen a shop clear so fast. by the time i came out i was in tears this is not the first time ive been in there and found ill rabbits and will again be contacting the head office about it. I wouldnt mind but they have an in store vet and i told them they should have the rabbits checked out at weekly intervals if there is noone that knows whot to look for. I have not been so cross for a very long time. They are going to here more about this. val

You go girl :!: :!:

I hate it when you have to educate petshop workers :!:

Surely they should have a love for ALL animals.

But what really gets me is how they couldn`t tell they were sick :!: :!:

Keep us informed.

I`m angry with you too :)

bronie

Just looked up ME as I had no idea what you were talking about. Apparently it can be triggered by stress e.g. taking an unweaned baby bun too early from its Mum or putting a babe in a pet shop with different food. From this I would imagine it is quite common and good on you for recognizing this in these buns. But, for us that are concerned but not so clued up, what are the symptoms of ME? I'm beginning to understand why so many buns end up in rescues if they already have not too obvious problems to the regular Joe before they leave the pet shop.

u go girl lol
and pet shop by me called dolittles had a pooly nethie in there so i told them staight and the women said quite nastly oh its fine, thats the 3rd person thats said something but ill go have a look anyway
but my first rabbits were from there and had nothing but trouble with them, the one died at 2 the other is still with us, the one reason we had troble with our bun was cause they gave us wrong information and went to the vets to get the right info
becky

It is just heartbreaking to hear stories like this one, and there are so many disturbing stories with regard to pet shops.

I was in my nearest P@H a couple of weeks ago, i could of literally walked off with the whole shop, there was one assistant on the till, and one other somewhere in the shop :(

Please let us know what response you get Val.

Well done!!

I think its disgusting how pet shops treat animals!! :twisted: :evil: I personally dont think petshops should sell most animals most of them have no idea when it comes to looking after animals!! i hope you get a good response from the the head office please let us know

Been back to the shop the rabbits are not there have not had a reply yet from pets at home head office. The staff diddnt rearly want to talk to me, hopefully the babys are in the care of the vet at the shop. Whot i carnt understand is why when having an on site vet they carnt get them to check on stock every couple of days. ME: mucroid enterrites, this is a common problem in baby rabbits, it is usually brought on by stress witch can be brought on by the slightest thing. The symptoms are the bunnie will sit hunched up looking sorry for itself it will stop eating and drinking. Its droppings will be covered im mucus as time goes on it will be loose with whot looks like jelly being pased by then there is usualy a distinctive smell to them, once you know the smell you will no it without looking. This is caused by the lining of the stomach coming away. This leads to dehydrating on a big scale. Left untreated or left to long results in death. It can be hard to bring them round again and takes intensive nursing. This can be achived at home though providing you can get things from the vet like prapulcid, recovery powders, avipro. Weaning is the main time they will get it but you can expect it at the time they leave their home for werever. Many breeders are very familier with it, it can be a problem, some litters just seem prone to it for some reason and you carnt always pin down the cause. val

petshop rabbits

Hi there,

i personally know of petshops that keep their animals looking awful, they apparently sell more as people feel sorry for them, awful but true.

petshops are in for the profit, nothing else, far better from a rescue where the animal has been assessed, vaccinated and neutered. not always with a history, but most rescues wont rehome an unsuitable bun.

Unless the law changes to stop the sell of livestock, this practice will keep going on and on.

I will try but to be honest ive very little faith in the rspca, plus they would have to be there at the right time to find a sick rabbit. When you go in there you will note that it all looks very nice and clean, food and water always there so they dont stand much of a chance of picking a day to visit when there is a sick rabbit. Plus they have on site vets witch looks good and we know but the rspca carnt prove that some do not get the treatment they need. its not that easy. val

sick babies.

I wonder if it would be possible to get pictures of these sick babies, perhaps next time you go in you could take a camera with you & get some evidence surely that would count for some thing. I know the RSPCA are useless iv,e been trying to get them to come out to the sick foxes in my garden but they don,t want to know.

I've never had any experience with the RSPCA, it seems very sad that they are so willing to help out with these things as surely that is their main purpose! Then again I bet they are over stretched and under funded like most things!

RSPCA

HI...well in my area they are known for their disreguard for animals, I once did some cat rescue for them, I was told that as soon as the "rescued" cats were taken to the kennels they would be PTS, people give them their pets thinking that they will be re-homed but more often than not they will be killed, a friend of mine does dog rescue & she "rescues" them from their kennels (hillside, waltham abbey) as they are kept in cold , unheated concrete "cells".I have been trying to get them to help the foxes in my garden, they are bald & sick (one has already died in next doors) but I have been told that they have no policy on foxes. I pointed out that they were sick, hungry & in pain but it fell on deaf ears & they claim to CARE what rot!!! UUURRRRGGGGHHHH I hate them...right RANT over for now.

The problem there is that no one rearly has the money to keep all the animals that come in for rehoming, and they have to look at an animal as to whether it CAN be rehomed. We all love animals but we couldent keep them all noone could so the ones that are not going to be able to be rehomed for whotever reason would have to be pts. noone likes it but thats life, you cannot save them all. val :( :(

Re: RSPCA

rabshan said:
HI...well in my area they are known for their disreguard for animals, I once did some cat rescue for them, I was told that as soon as the "rescued" cats were taken to the kennels they would be PTS, people give them their pets thinking that they will be re-homed but more often than not they will be killed, a friend of mine does dog rescue & she "rescues" them from their kennels (hillside, waltham abbey) as they are kept in cold , unheated concrete "cells".I have been trying to get them to help the foxes in my garden, they are bald & sick (one has already died in next doors) but I have been told that they have no policy on foxes. I pointed out that they were sick, hungry & in pain but it fell on deaf ears & they claim to CARE what rot!!! UUURRRRGGGGHHHH I hate them...right RANT over for now.

They are not far from me i remember me and my other half went up there to have a look for a dog and they were closed it doesnt look very homey

Pets@home disgrace

If your looking for an example of disgraceful treatment of animals, just visit the stoke on trent branch.

I popped in today as I'd ran out of guineapig food.
(last resort)

To my horror a guinea pig caged with a rabbit was slowly picking his face bald. The rabbit was caged with 3-4 other guinea pigs.

I'd never, ever buy an animal from there or recommend them.
Needless to say I travelled across town to get the pig food.

They should be banned from selling animals.

I hope you complained to the manager Sarah, people should always bring things like this to their attention. The more people who do something about it, the more chance there is of something being done about it. Be a voice for the animals, they can't talk for themselves :wink: :D

I totally agree.

I was fronted with,
"oh, the manager is unavailable at present"

To be honest I didn't feel I could threaten them with much.
I suppose, "oh, well I'll never shop here again" bothers them much.

Does anyone have any advice on what to say, and the substance to back it up with?

too get annoyed with P@H!

I have heard so many stories from local ppl whom have purchased either a bunny or hamster from there and after a few weeks they have always passed away.

I popped into my local P@H to get some doggie treats and saw some beautiful bunnies. When I asked the assistant a little information about them, he couldnt even tell me which sex they were. I also asked him whether they were from a local breeder ( i knew they wouldnt be) he actually admitted they were from a rabbit farm. Just think of the conditions that these bunnies probably came from to be stuck in a pet super store for screaming children to prod and poke at them. No wonder they don't look happy bunnies!!!!

It also makes you wonder just how many of these rabbits and other pets get "taken out the back". I think we all know that the sick animals are more than likely to be "knocked on the head" rather the expense of treatment.

As for the RSPCA I have mixed veiws with them. They are very good in cases of prosecuting ppl that have neglected animals but as far as the rehoming etc, well...... when I was a veterinary nurse a few years back, we actually took in the stray cats for the RSPCA. the cats would stay with us for a week and then on the 7th day the RSPCA inspector would walk around and point out which ones would be PTS as they had not been claimed.
So as far as I am concerned all of this "we never put a healthy animal to sleep" is utter b*******! :x
This was so heartbreaking for me and so therefore my mother ended up with 6 beautiful cats. :)

Back