• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding rabbits....now got my group of 5...1 more to go!

k1984

Mama Doe
You may remember a few weeks ago I wrote about my plans to eventually bond all of my rabbits together into one large group. All my rabbits are neutered/spayed. My rabbits were initially living separately like this:
-Leo and Adam (brothers)
-Pete and Greyie (unrelated, living together for that last 3 years)
-Bear (recently bereaved after losing Dolly, his partner for 3.5 years)
-Buttons (single. Came to me in October, aged approx 3 having lived on her own all of her life).

The large outdoor hutch went just over a week ago, to allow space for the new shed to be delivered. It all happened on one day...hubby worked from home to accommodate the deliveries/pick up. Shed arrived on the back of a lorry at the same time as a lady with a 4x4 and trailer came to collect the old housing. We'd never moved it since it was delivered 5 years ago but hubby said it took 4 of them to lift and move as it was so heavy! I knew it would be as the quality was fab (I am very keen to have my babies housed in strong, weather proofed accommodation). New shed was delivered and we erected it the following day (last Saturday).

In the meantime, all 6 rabbits were moved indoors....which has had it's practical issues as you can imagine!!! Added into the fact I have a highly allergic to dust/hay hubby! I'm generally very house proud, but it has taken my cleaning schedule to a whole new level :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rabbit bonding began. I started with bonding Buttons in with Pete and Greyie. All initially seemed to be going well. First 24 hours I was very hopeful as all was calm. Then 'issues' started with Greyie and Buttons...or should I say Greyie really! She was a real madam and just had it in for poor little Buttons!

I made the decision to just 'go for it' and add in Adam and Leo. Knowing my rabbits well, I know that these boys are very chilled out and would be a great distraction for Greyie to take her fixation on Buttons away!! It worked! We had the usual bonding behaviours (chasing, humping)...but then came the licking and snuggling together. By the second day I had a bonded, chilled and calm group of 5 rabbits! :D :D :love: :love:

So....just Bear to go. Need to psych myself up for that one. 1) He's HUGE! 2) He's got serious attitude (always had had, but since losing Dolly, he's a very unhappy bunny...very grunty and likes to try and box me when I feed him etc...lovely! (good job I love him anyway :love: ). I do think that he needs the company again, but need to think carefully how I go about this :lol:

Shed on the other had has been painted, had guttering fitted. I'm enjoying pottering about with it really and can't wait until the bunnies move in. I'm just waiting for the joiner to come back to add in a second window (on the 4ft side) and a hatch door at the bottom (to allow for free access to the patio/run (when I'm out).

Anyhow...pics :thumb:
Untitled by Mrs M, on FlickrUntitled by Mrs M, on FlickrUntitled by Mrs M, on FlickrUntitled by Mrs M, on Flickr

that shed looks ace. pleased your 5 bonded so nicely . How much space did you allow them for bonding?

That all sounds great! The only thing this thread is desperately missing is more bunny pics!

Maybe other bunnies will have a good effect on Bear. My last frenchie boy was a real miserable ******* and was initially very aggressive when I put him in with my two girls but once he'd told them who he was and everything settled down it worked really well.

Ah thanks for that Battlekat- very encouraging...and that really helps! I’m nervous about bonding Bear, not going to lie! Fingers crossed though all goes well x

Back