• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Dr Custard is deaf or going deaf :(

loobers25

Warren Veteran
She doesn't hear me coming up the stairs or me In the Warren anymore. I'm scaring the day lights out of her all the time when she suddenly sees me there. Last night I was in the Warren sorting hay for a good five minutes before she saw me. I am a bit worried about her eye sight too. Lately she's been sleeping with her head pressed up to the side out the litter tray. I checked the base of her ears and inside a few weeks ago and felt ok. Somethings not quite right with her. I will check again today. She has great in put and out put. Just concerned why she is now deaf? She used to be a fantastic security guard and would stamp at any slight sounds. We have an appointment with JC soon so will ask.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The only other thing I can think of is that she is all loved up and relaxed so is sleeping with her eyes open a lot. Clutching at straws perhaps!

If she is deaf I doubt it will affect her overall quality of life. Boots was really deaf and his eyesight wasn’t great but he could pick up on vibrations of me moving around.and his sense of smell was incredible. If she is otherwise ok I would ask JC next time.

If she is deaf I doubt it will affect her overall quality of life. Boots was really deaf and his eyesight wasn’t great but he could pick up on vibrations of me moving around.and his sense of smell was incredible. If she is otherwise ok I would ask JC next time.
In a way she would be happy deaf as no scary noises. She is a rescue and estimated to be now 5 years old. Can rabbits get deafer like hoomans as they get older or is it usually something underlining?

I got 2 deaf girls, I don't believe Boo hears a thing. they do spook easy, I normally let Boo know when I'm in the room, if she is distracted I'll approach gently & give her a little love. It does scary me when she takes spooky flight though. In the old house we had a big garden with lads of raised beds & we were always petrified she'd run in to or off a stone wall. I don't know if it is normal in rabbit ageing & agree health check would be prudent. Boo also has the dodgy rew scanning thing & poor eyesight. Still I think Boo enjoys Boo world. Lots of nose bumps for syrupy, let us know how she gets on

I'm pretty sure Treacle is deaf, I mentioned it to a vet once, and they could see nothing wrong with her ears. I always approach carefully from the side now, so not to spook her, but she is immune to the loud vac, and I can clap my hands really hard behind her head, and nothing ! Just one of those things I guess. Hope Custardy is ok xx

I'm sorry to read your concerns Loobers. I don't know what input I can give other than a vet visit as I'm sure they will have some way of testing the beautiful syrups hearing. They can check eyesight I'm pretty sure - so hopefully the vet can help to resolve this issue. Sending vibes for the lovely Maple. xx

Inspector Morse was as deaf as a post, as is Lord H. Their deafness did/does not impact on their quality of life. It would be a good idea to get Dr C checked over though as deafness can be associated with gunky ears/ear infections x

I think Pandora might be a bit on the deaf side as well- when she's asleep with her back to you she doesn't seem to respond to being called. It's hard to say the cause though- she's nearly 9 years old but she is EC+ and I suppose it is possible she's got hearing loss related to that. EC has damaged other areas of her body.

Back