• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad first anniversary: My beautiful Alma is very, very unwell. RIP sweetheart

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've not talked about her on here at all but I have talked about her to close friends.

I only got her August, she was just short of a year old.

I found two Thriantas listed on free ads, brother and sister, living separately as they hadn't been neutered, she had had an accidental pregnancy requiring a C section.

So Alma and her brother Gilbert joined me and had their vaccinations and neuter. They are the most incredibly friendly rabbits (as the breed are well known for). They were then bonded and have been incredibly close since. They moved indoors around December and are so, so close.

Roll on Tuesday. Instead of two little faces against the side of their pen there was only one. Gilbert was begging but Alma hidden away. She took treats but didn't come out of the hidey place. She was eating a little but hidden away, him incredibly protective of her when I went to find her.

She was admitted to the vets on Tuesday morning and she is being syringe fed but deemed to be in quite significant pain and only picking at food. But today her blood results are back and there is something very seriously wrong with her liver. She's been started on antibiotics but the outlook is very grim - it's like Benji all over again but she's not even two years old. There was a query about an underlying virus affecting both of them...

I thought I'd reached my limit point losing Benji but then we crossed the anniversary of losing Dinky so the loses were "last year", I told myself this was a 'fresh start'

I lost eight rabbits and my dad last year isn't that enough? Apparently not, fate thought picking on my beloved Thriantas was the next move. ..I'm not sure how Gilbert will cope either if I lose her...

Oh, as a marker of how unwell she is - one of the liver markers 74 is the top end - her reading is over 5000 :cry:

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm so so sorry to hear this, I just don't know what to say. I'm sending a million vibes for little Alma, that she may be helped, and hugs for yourself too xxxx

I’m so sorry:cry: hoping for a miracle for you both. Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

So sorry to read this. I too, send millions of vibes and hope that things turn around for you and the vets can determine the cause.x

How terribly sad :( Sending loads of vibes for Alma. I really hope that she will improve.

Oh no BB, I cant believe it :cry: I am so very sorry :cry: I am sending billions of vibes for Alma, she is still so young :cry:

ETA- I am sure your excellent Vets have ruled out a Liver Lobe torsion or a liver shunt ? xx

Just seen this. :cry: I'm so very sorry for your loss, BB. Sending gentle, comforting hugs and thoughts for you and Gilbert at this very sad time. xxxx

Back