• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RAW 7th June - Rabbit furniture on a budget

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
We'd love to see your ideas for upcycling or repurposed household items so that we can then include these in the Housing section. Hay feeders, litter trays, run shelters, beds etc.

This is an IKEA cupboard transformed into an indoor cage for example (it wouldn't be suitable as a permanent home but would be great as a base within a larger enclosure and the doors could be adapted to allow the rabbits to come and go as they please). http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/cupboard-hutch.asp

We'll draw a winner at random from all those who've contributed to the thread to win some goodies from Twig & Nibble. http://www.twigandnibbleshop.co.uk/ This will close at 2pm on 14th June.

ETA:
Twig & Nibble have put together an awesome looking Spring Forage Box:

Plantain, Dandelion, Hawthorn, Cow Parsley, Cleavers, Garlic Mustard, Vetch, Dock, Yarrow flowers, Birch, Echinacea leaves, Hibiscus, Blue Mallow, Calendula, Vine leaves and Willow.

1ff6a221cc8f9d789fcd1091e0c74ddb.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh, I’ve been waiting for this one. I’m not entering of course, but here is my hay rack (basket found in charity shop)
bKqgbai.jpg

24 hours later
HvNYeG7.jpg

I’ve since attached a thick piece of cardboard on the top as I looked on bunnycam and found Fern like this :shock:
7JOMYnL.jpg

The hjalpa basket from IKEA is very similar https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...basket-with-pull-out-rail-white-spr-59213467/

You can buy it without the rails and in different sizes :thumb: I’m planning on another for the Timothy hay, here are the prices for the basket only :-
Ikea hjalpa 80x40 cm £5
60x40 cm £4
60x55cm. £5
80x55cm £6

OMG - those noms look awesome. Mousey says its time to bring out the violin & recall when the rest of RU bunnies were relaxing on Ikea beds with stylish bedding, she & her friends had to make do with these old drawers

uPVsTZdl.jpg
[/IMG]

7eRwRoYl.jpg
[/IMG]

xUxB2Idm.jpg
[/IMG]

This fab thread by Scrappy says it all

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471827-Post-pics-of-bunnies-on-IKEA-beds&highlight=ikea+beds
How to play animal hospital on a budget

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've tried telling mousey there is such a thing as trying too hard but she won't listen.

So here she is today with her improvised hay rack which was a half price planter for £3.49. I put fresh forage in it too to encourage her to stretch. Below a plastic dog bed used as a litter tray (this style of hay rack is messy) for easier access for elderlies

kxTPR7xl.jpg

I used low fronted potting trays for litter trays when Rambo had her paralysis and couldn't manage under bed storage boxes.

14j3q1f.jpg

also in the background you can see the trunk I use for keeping hay in - having it in the trunk and right next to the litter tray really helps to keep the mess down.

Last edited:
Plenty of different sized cardboard boxes, filled with hay and different goody's as forage boxes. You can also see in the background an ikea shoe rack (£4) which makes a good hay rack!

Cheap underbed storage box filled with soil (bunny safe - no added fertilisers or anything) makes a good dig box for indoor buns :)

I've just added a photo of the prize, which I forgot to add yesterday! Go have a look, it looks amazing!

This is for a cat so perhaps not the kind of repurposing you were looking for but I found this little cat den that fit perfectly in my bed after I removed a small shelf.
In the out position it functions as a step to get on the bed (rambo could do it in one hop but lola is much more cautious and prefers to take things in stages) and then if it's in my way I just push it back in under and it becomes a den for her.

oqao14.jpg

axip84.jpg

These are so great. :love:. Loving the underbed den and the drawers is such a good way to use old furniture.

There is always free furniture on Facebook marketplace and shpock. Not all of it tat, I got a free IKEA set of drawers in excellent condition.

This is for a cat so perhaps not the kind of repurposing you were looking for but I found this little cat den that fit perfectly in my bed after I removed a small shelf.
In the out position it functions as a step to get on the bed (rambo could do it in one hop but lola is much more cautious and prefers to take things in stages) and then if it's in my way I just push it back in under and it becomes a den for her.

oqao14.jpg

axip84.jpg
That's a perfect example; I meant anything really that wasn't actually designed for bunnies but could be useful. :)

I love the little den and, like BYB said, you can often pick up things on Facebook and selling sites very cheaply or free. :)

Big paper Primark bags go down a treat in our house! Take the handles off and the bunnies have a customisable house for hours :lol:

bc9de626c8da3552c94e11f9605358ed.jpg

Also this stool, as used by the humans when they can’t reach the top cupboards, is one of the most loved pieces we own :lol: we’ve tried to get rid of it many a time but the rabbits just enjoy sitting under or on it so much!
Demonstrated here by our first bunny, Biscuit.

1a81a02f5be25e9c7fb3a836231573e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back