• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend for my little boy

Eliza39

Young Bun
Hello

2 weeks ago we brought home 2 male litter friends called Beau and Timmy, 5 days later Timmy suddenly passed and the vet thinks it was congenital liver disease. It was an awful week of such a high to a low. I've been so very upset.

Beau is 15 weeks old, such a friendly boy. Since Timmy died hes become very much in need of company. When I gi outside to him hes straight into his run and climbing up his run for me to stroke him. He's so affectionate its adorable. I feel so guilty when I leave him because he obviously wants that contact.

I feel so sad he's alone. I've been told it's best not to get another male as they will fight. What is my best option please? I've had rabbits since I was very young but usually 1 on its own. I had a bonded Male and female for years and they passed when they were about 9. They were litter mates.

I was looking into getting a baby female rabbit for him but of course I couldn't mix until he was neutered which the vet said he cannot do until 6 months. Then I'd have to wait until the female is 6 months before I could mix once both are recovered.

My friend had her 2 females spayed recently and they were really ill afterwards which has terrified me incase I have to go through all of this again and lose another rabbit like I just have Timmy. I cant believe how upset I've been over it all. It was so sad.

Any advice much appreciated.

Eliza

Hello

2 weeks ago we brought home 2 male litter friends called Beau and Timmy, 5 days later Timmy suddenly passed and the vet thinks it was congenital liver disease. It was an awful week of such a high to a low. I've been so very upset.

Beau is 15 weeks old, such a friendly boy. Since Timmy died hes become very much in need of company. When I gi outside to him hes straight into his run and climbing up his run for me to stroke him. He's so affectionate its adorable. I feel so guilty when I leave him because he obviously wants that contact.

I feel so sad he's alone. I've been told it's best not to get another male as they will fight. What is my best option please? I've had rabbits since I was very young but usually 1 on its own. I had a bonded Male and female for years and they passed when they were about 9. They were litter mates.

I was looking into getting a baby female rabbit for him but of course I couldn't mix until he was neutered which the vet said he cannot do until 6 months. Then I'd have to wait until the female is 6 months before I could mix once both are recovered.

My friend had her 2 females spayed recently and they were really ill afterwards which has terrified me incase I have to go through all of this again and lose another rabbit like I just have Timmy. I cant believe how upset I've been over it all. It was so sad.

Any advice much appreciated.

Eliza

Hello

I am very sorry for your recent loss. I assume that the Vet will also have mentioned the risk of the death being due to RHD2

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?476263-New-Variant-RVHD-Known-as-RVHD2

Personally I would not obtain any more Rabbits until you have had Beau vaccinated ( Two vaccinations needed, given at least 2 weeks apart). Some Vets will neuter male Rabbits as soon as their testicles decend. This is usually at about 14-16 weeks.

I dont know if your Vet is very 'Rabbit Savvy'. If he/she did not mention RHD and/or stress the importance of vaccination I would question his/her Rabbit knowledge.

There is a vast amount of very reliable information about Rabbit Care on the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund's website, including details of vaccinating and neutering and a list of 'Rabbit Savvy' Vets :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Once Beau is fully vaccinated and neutered then maybe you could contact a local Rescue about adopting a friend for him. Most Rescue Rabbits are already neutered and vaccinated and some Rescues offer help with the bonding process.

Please do pass on details of the importance of vaccinating to your friend with the two Does, in case she is unaware of the need to do so.

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

dear eliza39,-i understand condolences are in order,.-as a exotic dvm advocate liver disease can be caused by contact of cedar[scented wood]-ei-chewing toys of,or poopbox type liter.,- http://www.medirabbit.com again please accept my deepest heart felt condolences,,i too have lost those and part of myself.,and have never given up to help,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

So sorry to hear about Timmy, I am just going through "a friend for" journey and so understand. Speak to your vet about neutering and vaccinations as others have said :) I went down the rspca route and they were very helpful. A rescue bunny is well worth considering as they are health checked and there is the support that perhaps is not available from a pet shop etc.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your little bunny Timmy, it's never easy losing a beloved pet. I hope in time you will be able to find a little friend for Beau, in the meantime I'm sure he'll enjoy having lots of extra fuss and attention from you. Run free Timmy x

I’m so sorry you lost Timmy :cry: I agree with the advice already given :thumb:

Hello

I am very sorry for your recent loss. I assume that the Vet will also have mentioned the risk of the death being due to RHD2

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?476263-New-Variant-RVHD-Known-as-RVHD2

Personally I would not obtain any more Rabbits until you have had Beau vaccinated ( Two vaccinations needed, given at least 2 weeks apart). Some Vets will neuter male Rabbits as soon as their testicles decend. This is usually at about 14-16 weeks.

I dont know if your Vet is very 'Rabbit Savvy'. If he/she did not mention RHD and/or stress the importance of vaccination I would question his/her Rabbit knowledge.

There is a vast amount of very reliable information about Rabbit Care on the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund's website, including details of vaccinating and neutering and a list of 'Rabbit Savvy' Vets :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Once Beau is fully vaccinated and neutered then maybe you could contact a local Rescue about adopting a friend for him. Most Rescue Rabbits are already neutered and vaccinated and some Rescues offer help with the bonding process.

Please do pass on details of the importance of vaccinating to your friend with the two Does, in case she is unaware of the need to do so.

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

Hello

Thank you for replying.

Yes she did mention vhd2. He took I'll on the Tuesday, quiet, off his food and sitting still. Unlike him. At the vet that evening, again Wednesday and he passed Thursday. It was awful. She mentioned vhd2 due to the jaundice he had but said it could be liver disease. We had Beau his brother vaccinated the next day. Our other rabbit is fully vaccinated anyway. Beau had, had vhd1 and mixy with the breeder but not the vhd2. The ver said theres an incubation period of 9 to 10 days and it's now been 10 since Timmy showed signs of ill health so I'm praying that is an excellent sign beau will be ok. The vet said it's a great sign Beau isnt unwell so maybe Timmy never did have vhd2. I'm really praying that was the case. We had only had them 3 days when Timmy became unwell.

He had the vhd2 vaccine Friday, she never said he had to go back in 2 weeks,? she said 9 months time for a booster for vhd2.

Yes I've been telling all my friends to vaccinate against vhd2. I always do vaccinate it was just the breeder that hadn't done this particular one.

I wont be getting a friend for Beau for a while until I'm over it all and know he is fine. We are 10 days clear now, long may it continue.

I live in North Wales. Our rabbits were bought from Runcorn.

Last edited:
dear eliza39,-i understand condolences are in order,.-as a exotic dvm advocate liver disease can be caused by contact of cedar[scented wood]-ei-chewing toys of,or poopbox type liter.,- http://www.medirabbit.com again please accept my deepest heart felt condolences,,i too have lost those and part of myself.,and have never given up to help,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Thank you so much. We just used plain bagged Timothy hay and sawdust. Whatever it was it was awful and so sad. He was so happy before he suddenly took ill.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your little bunny Timmy, it's never easy losing a beloved pet. I hope in time you will be able to find a little friend for Beau, in the meantime I'm sure he'll enjoy having lots of extra fuss and attention from you. Run free Timmy x

Thank you so much x

So sorry to hear about Timmy, I am just going through "a friend for" journey and so understand. Speak to your vet about neutering and vaccinations as others have said :) I went down the rspca route and they were very helpful. A rescue bunny is well worth considering as they are health checked and there is the support that perhaps is not available from a pet shop etc.

Aww good luck. I shall take a look there too.

Yea my rabbit is vaccinated and will be neutered at 6 months.

I am so sorry you lost one of your bunnies. If you are sure the breeder vaccinated them against Myxo/RHD1 then your remaining rabbit should be covered for a year. Baby rabbits can go downhill very quickly due to change of environment, different food, etc. I am pleased your rabbit is doing well. Boys can usually be neutered from 4 months onwards if they are healthy and of a good weight, and if their testicles have come through. You can ask for recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in your area on here if you start a new thread.

I am so sorry you lost one of your bunnies. If you are sure the breeder vaccinated them against Myxo/RHD1 then your remaining rabbit should be covered for a year. Baby rabbits can go downhill very quickly due to change of environment, different food, etc. I am pleased your rabbit is doing well. Boys can usually be neutered from 4 months onwards if they are healthy and of a good weight, and if their testicles have come through. You can ask for recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in your area on here if you start a new thread.

Thank you. Yes he is definitely vaccinated for mixy and vhd1 and now weve done vhd2. Our vet said he cant be neutered until 6 months but we are fine to wait until then, hes quite a small rabbit. His brother was bigger and dominant in comparison.

Our vets are lovely and have told us it's looking food for Beau still being here and showing no signs of being unwell, so fingers crossed it wasnt vhd2. When they came here they settled quick, we fed them on the same food the breeder recommended to stay with and he was fine then suddenly took ill within 3 days and died on the 5th, it has been so sad.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

might I suggest (once he is neutered) looking into a rescue rabbit? they will come vaccinated and neutered, reducing the risk and costs for you, and meaning that they can be bonded instantly. some rescues do bonding for you too, which is even better. a rescue rabbit would basically remove the risk of having another rabbit lost due to not being vaccinated, and you wouldn't have to worry about the risk of neutering. usually rabbits are better in pairs and enjoy having a friend.

a best pairing is a male x female, altho male x male can work too, but both rabbits do need to be neutered for almost any bonding to work out.

some rabbits seem to go through neutering fine with ease and others not. my girl was sick for weeks afterwards. although that being said its the right thing to do, eliminates uterine cancer and calms her down overall, so its right from an ethical point of view.

but rescuing might be the way to go if you're worried about spaying. plus you would be saving another rabbit, allowing the rescue to rescue another is his/hers place :)

I'm sorry for your loss :(

might I suggest (once he is neutered) looking into a rescue rabbit? they will come vaccinated and neutered, reducing the risk and costs for you, and meaning that they can be bonded instantly. some rescues do bonding for you too, which is even better. a rescue rabbit would basically remove the risk of having another rabbit lost due to not being vaccinated, and you wouldn't have to worry about the risk of neutering. usually rabbits are better in pairs and enjoy having a friend.

a best pairing is a male x female, altho male x male can work too, but both rabbits do need to be neutered for almost any bonding to work out.

some rabbits seem to go through neutering fine with ease and others not. my girl was sick for weeks afterwards. although that being said its the right thing to do, eliminates uterine cancer and calms her down overall, so its right from an ethical point of view.

but rescuing might be the way to go if you're worried about spaying. plus you would be saving another rabbit, allowing the rescue to rescue another is his/hers place :)

Thank you.

Yes I think that is the route we shall take once Beau is neutered in August.

I heard boy and boy is a bad combo, is this not true? I'd love another boy. Beau is very much a non dominant rabbit, he is extremely gentle. So it would have to be a rabbit of a similar nature, not one too dominant I think. If that's possible with rabbits Haha.

Thank you.

Yes I think that is the route we shall take once Beau is neutered in August.

I heard boy and boy is a bad combo, is this not true? I'd love another boy. Beau is very much a non dominant rabbit, he is extremely gentle. So it would have to be a rabbit of a similar nature, not one too dominant I think. If that's possible with rabbits Haha.

boy x boy isn’t a bad combo in my limited experience. i think the worst is considered girl x girl although it can be done, it’s difficult and prone to fallouts pretty easily. boy x girl is considered the best though for a few reasons that opposite sex seem to get on better. boy x boy can be done and isn’t too bad. mostly it’s temperance and personality rather than sex. a rescue would be able to advise hopefully and provide a suitable boy or girl to go with him :) xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back