• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Magpies

Margret

Warren Scout
My 4 year old German lop has free range of the garden, always has. Now we have two Magpies that keep trying to land on her back, have even caught them a couple times, but she doesn't seem to bother too much. Not sure if they are trying to get her fur or are wanting to hurt her. Any suggestions as to how to keep Magpies from my garden. Thanks

not good imo, i would be very worried. magpies are nasty & 1 peck could take an eye out.
being nearby is one thing, but landing on her back is another, and why are they doing it other than to do damage? :(
not sure how to deter them tho.

Last edited:
I'm with Mike on this. One of my buns, Lillian is only just healing after a bird attack- probably the very aggressive nasty magpie we have that frequents our garden. It was a whisker from her eye and Lillian is a big unit at over 4kg.
Deterring them is an issue- they are a very aggressive bird and will have a go at live animals-not the first time I've caught this particular magpie having a go at my rabbits.
You'll just need to be vigilant at all times and don't leave your rabbit unattended. Don't encourage the magpies in any way as they'll fight and kill off the other birds too.
I'm all for being kind to our wildlife but there's a line that's crossed with magpies. They are horrible aggressive nasty birds and fiercely territorial.

I think generally allowing free range of the garden is dangerous, foxes cats and magpies can be a huge threat towards them. being in a large run, although I appreciate not as large as the free range of the garden, is much safer overall. if the run is covered, threats such as magpies, cats and foxes would be kept at bay (as long as its a heavy duty thing and not some flimsy metal). you can get plenty of large runs and could cover it would netting for instance.
I'm not sure what (if anything) you could do to deter magpies. they are usually quite aggressive and will cause harm, and could cause quite a lot of damage to a rabbit.

I think generally allowing free range of the garden is dangerous, foxes cats and magpies can be a huge threat towards them. being in a large run, although I appreciate not as large as the free range of the garden, is much safer overall. if the run is covered, threats such as magpies, cats and foxes would be kept at bay (as long as its a heavy duty thing and not some flimsy metal). you can get plenty of large runs and could cover it would netting for instance.
I'm not sure what (if anything) you could do to deter magpies. they are usually quite aggressive and will cause harm, and could cause quite a lot of damage to a rabbit.

Some very good advice from bc. Many years ago I lost a Guinea Pig to a Magpie attack. The GP was in a run that had no top to it. I learned a very harsh lesson that day and my poor GP paid a very high price :cry:

This is my thinking too. Back when I had outdoor rabbits we made a large secure run 17ftx10ft with weldmesh and wooden fence posts and rails. They had a lot of freedom but were secure and safe.

Back