• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you need to have for your first rabbit?

el bartoni

New Kit
When my wife and I got our first rabbit, I think we bought everything but the kitchen sink. I mean, we had everything.

Now, my friend is thinking of buying rabbits and I think telling her the amount of stuff she needs for first rabbits might see her off.

What do you think is absolutely essential for someone buying their first rabbit?

BTW, I think she intends them to be indoor rabbits due to a local cat situation she's concerned about.

Thanks

most essential imo is to make sure fully vaccinated - myxi, RHD1 & RHD 2

• water bowl that can't be tipped over. I have a ceramic one that has straight sides. has never been tipped over.
  • food bowl
  • pelleted food
  • fresh veg
  • some way of making sure they can't chew electric cables - they love to munch them
  • bed - for them to wee & poo on/in :lol:
  • hay rack
  • hay tray (for them to sit in & wee & poo in)
  • carry box for vet visits

Last edited:
most essential imo is to make sure fully vaccinated - myxi, RHD1 & RHD 2

• water bowl that can't be tipped over. I have a ceramic one that has straight sides. has never been tipped over.
  • food bowl
  • pelleted food
  • fresh veg
  • some way of making sure they can't chew electric cables - they love to munch them
  • bed - for them to wee & poo on/in :lol:
  • hay rack
  • hay tray (for them to sit in & wee & poo in)
  • carry box for vet visits
Plus:

HAY
Large litter tray or underbed storage box - fill with hay.
Somewhere safe to hide - eg wooden box or small hutch with main door removed
Cat carrier - for vet trips and as a base / safe hiding place
Metal dog comb for grooming

I echo above.

- getting a litter tray to train them is a good idea, using an underbed storage box is best. litter can depend, (NOT clumping) wood pellet cat litter or back to nature is popular, others just use hay & newspaper.

- you'd need a pen, rabbits need a lot of space and nothing you see in pet shops is suitable, if they weren't going to be free range. I have mine in a 5ft square ellie bo heavy duty dog pen, and you'd need something to line it with. I use vinyl, others use interlocking childrens foam playmats.
- if they will be free range, its a good idea to get a rabbit cage to use as a base, to place the water, hay and litter tray, altho not 100% necessary.

- didn't see anybody mention it but, toys/enrichment!! this can be from store toys to cardboard boxes and chews, something to keep them entertained or work for their food. they'll get board otherwise.

- personally I recommend a zoom groom (for cats or dogs) for grooming. but I also have rex rabbits and their coat eludes most brushes!!

- a good vet

- insurance or vet fund, as rabbits can and will get sick, so they need to expect the unexpected.

the list simply is quite long!! :lol:

Back