• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What counts as quality hoomin time?

Orenoko

Mama Doe
A few years ago I had a solo house bun who absolutely loved fuss and attention and would climb all over me to get it. Lilac is now a solo bun (perhaps not for long I don't know), but is a completely different character. She only likes being stroked occasionally and picking up is a definite no no. But she spends lots of time with us now when we watch TV, just sitting nearby, grooming or loafing around. Does this count as having company in her mind? I sometimes sit in the floor with her in case she wants to come over for some fuss, but she mostly seems quite happy to just be nearby. Is this her way of accepting us more and just enjoying being near us?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I would say yes to all that. She is chosing to spend time with you on her terms. Lilac is making her own free mind up and whilst she may not like the touchy felt side, her emotional needs are being met by sharing your space and your time in your environment. She will be taking in all the sounds and interactions which will stimulate her emotional needs and in her own way, that is giving her quality time.
I have 2 buns, Henry and Lilian who are very much like Lilac. They both dislike being picked up and stroked but they both love being in the living room with us although they sit under the dining room table.

I would say yes to all that. She is chosing to spend time with you on her terms. Lilac is making her own free mind up and whilst she may not like the touchy felt side, her emotional needs are being met by sharing your space and your time in your environment. She will be taking in all the sounds and interactions which will stimulate her emotional needs and in her own way, that is giving her quality time.
I have 2 buns, Henry and Lilian who are very much like Lilac. They both dislike being picked up and stroked but they both love being in the living room with us although they sit under the dining room table.
That's good to hear! I feel guilty that I'm not constantly fussing her like Teddy used to but I know it'll just annoy her. Hopefully she starts to feel more confident around us eventually, but all on her own terms of course.

Buns can be so different to each other.My bridge pair being like that .Rio was a solo house bun until two,he loved being petted stroked etc.Not keen on being picked up at all,like most buns.On the ground he melted if you gave him your full attention.We then got him a wifebun Cleo,she was a baby,eight weeks old,they bonded within a day.She didn't like being stroked petted etc.She loved him and the only time I could stroke her etc was if she was lying next to Rio and she didn't see me sneaking a petting or ear rub because she had her eyes shut and thought it was Rio.They lay at my feet under a small table.As soon as she realised it was me up she would jump shaking her lugs at me and give me a foot flick.:lol:

Yes I think just having your company can be a comfort and reassurance. Treacle is my only bun now, she free ranges in the extension which adjoins the lounge, but comes into the lounge every evening, or more if I'm at home. She lies under the coffee table near my feet, and enjoys the odd fuss, but she seems very content.

I'm glad other people have had similar experiences, I just want to make sure she isn't lonely. She gets so spend about 6 hours a day with us on a weekday and more at weekends, I know it doesn't quite substitute constant bunny company but it's all we can do right now and she seems okay with it which is the main thing.

Back