• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet dilemma

Casco

Mama Doe
I need to find a local vet who can test eye pressure, my usual vet can’t. I have found 2 that can do this, 1 is a 15 minute drive the other a 30 minute drive. The one 30 minutes away my rabbits are already registered with as they get RHD2 vacs there. They are on the RWAF recommended vet list so should be rabbit savvy although I haven’t had to test their expertise yet. Would you go for the shorter driving distance (also reasonably rabbit savvy, I know people who have used them) for convenience and to minimise stress or the vet they are registered with but is further away? The closer one will be a 15 min journey at any time of day, the 30 minute drive could be longer depending on traffic.

To complicate matters my rabbits will still go to my usual vet for myxo / rhd vacs and health checks as they have the vac4life plan with them. Most likely I would also still use the other vet for RHD2 as it’s quite a significant saving for me. I have tried to find an alternative Vets4pets who could do the eye pressure checks that would allow me to transfer the vac4life plans to them and I would just use 1 single vet for everything but none have the required equipment. Why does everything have to be so complicated with rabbits?! :lol:

I've got several vets now. One for rabbits and foster animals, one for hamsters and one for chinchillas. :lol:

I'd opt for closest.

I need to find a local vet who can test eye pressure, my usual vet can’t. I have found 2 that can do this, 1 is a 15 minute drive the other a 30 minute drive. The one 30 minutes away my rabbits are already registered with as they get RHD2 vacs there. They are on the RWAF recommended vet list so should be rabbit savvy although I haven’t had to test their expertise yet. Would you go for the shorter driving distance (also reasonably rabbit savvy, I know people who have used them) for convenience and to minimise stress or the vet they are registered with but is further away? The closer one will be a 15 min journey at any time of day, the 30 minute drive could be longer depending on traffic.

To complicate matters my rabbits will still go to my usual vet for myxo / rhd vacs and health checks as they have the vac4life plan with them. Most likely I would also still use the other vet for RHD2 as it’s quite a significant saving for me. I have tried to find an alternative Vets4pets who could do the eye pressure checks that would allow me to transfer the vac4life plans to them and I would just use 1 single vet for everything but none have the required equipment. Why does everything have to be so complicated with rabbits?! :lol:

If the nearer Vets are reasonably Rabbit Savvy and you know other Rabbit owners who use them then I'd go to them x

I'm confused... This is very easily achieved! :lol: Your current vet isn't the one they get their vaccinations at, which is the one 30 minutes away. And there is a 3rd vets that is 15 minutes away?

If I've got that right, I wouldn't opt for a 3rd vet for the same animals for any reason. I couldn't even get 2 different vets to work with my bunnies when they became ill (ended up switching all vaccinations over to the exotics one further away).

I'm confused... This is very easily achieved! :lol: Your current vet isn't the one they get their vaccinations at, which is the one 30 minutes away. And there is a 3rd vets that is 15 minutes away?

If I've got that right, I wouldn't opt for a 3rd vet for the same animals for any reason. I couldn't even get 2 different vets to work with my bunnies when they became ill (ended up switching all vaccinations over to the exotics one further away).

Vet 1 = nearest vet, the one I’ve used so far for any treatments needed and I have vac4life plans here for all 3 bunnies so they always have their myxo / rhd vaccinations here and get 6 monthly health checks as part of the plan.

Vet 2 = 30 minute drive away, rabbits are registered here but have only ever used them for RHD2 vacs as my usual vet is just so expensive for this.

Vet 3 = have never used them myself but they are the closest vet to me (15 min drive) who can do the required eye pressure tests which I believe will need to be done quite regularly. We use this vet for foster rabbits with the rescue I volunteer with so I know they are reasonably ok with rabbits.

My other option would be to continue to travel to D1ck vets for the eye checks but that’s not ideal travel wise and they’d still effectively be using 3 different vets then anyway :? It’s quite frustrating that vet no 1 aren’t able to do this so I’m forced to have at least 2 vets on the go.

Back