• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Detergent for RVHD2

Clare_Bear

New Kit
I’m planning to start going out walking in my local countryside over the summer.
I’m pretty sure there are wild rabbits in the area where I’ll be walking so I’m a bit concerned about the risk of bringing RVHD2 into my home on my clothes/shoes and putting my rabbit at risk.
Would something like the Dettol laundry cleanser be sufficient to kill any traces of the virus on my clothes and shoes? Or is there any other detergent/cleaner/anything else that would do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

P.S. I know the RVHD2 vaccination reduces the risk from the virus but it’s not completely foolproof so I’d just like to take whatever extra steps I can to reduce the risk even further (and also not unwittingly spread the virus to other places!).

I’m planning to start going out walking in my local countryside over the summer.
I’m pretty sure there are wild rabbits in the area where I’ll be walking so I’m a bit concerned about the risk of bringing RVHD2 into my home on my clothes/shoes and putting my rabbit at risk.
Would something like the Dettol laundry cleanser be sufficient to kill any traces of the virus on my clothes and shoes? Or is there any other detergent/cleaner/anything else that would do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

P.S. I know the RVHD2 vaccination reduces the risk from the virus but it’s not completely foolproof so I’d just like to take whatever extra steps I can to reduce the risk even further (and also not unwittingly spread the virus to other places!).

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Anigene-HLD4V-High-Level-Disinfectant-Cleaner/productinfo/ANIGENEHLD/

The laundry cleaners you can buy (like Dettol), I'm not convinced are anti vital. I could be wrong, but I think they are mainly designed to kill bacteria, eg. e coli, etc.

You could soak your clothes in the stuff Jane has linked to. But the safest way would be to change clothes when you've been out walking, before you see the bunnies (depending on where they are, that may not be possible!)

It needs to be something that is effective against viruses (virucidal), especially feline caliciviris as its is in the same family as the virus that causes RHD. Maybe ask your vet how they wash their uniforms etc?

I had no idea you can use anigene in the wash - doesn't it stain?

Thanks so much for all the information everyone!

Jane and loobers25 - do you use Anigene for washing your clothes or would it stain them as Amy said?

Unfortunately the room my rabbit spends the most time in, also happens to house our washing machine 🙄 - if I was to change my clothes immediately (and obviously well away from him) and bring them to the washing machine in a bag, is that likely to prevent any traces of the virus on the clothes from transferring to anything else before I get it in the washing machine? Sorry, I know I’m probably massively overthinking this - I just wouldn’t want to make a mistake just because thought a question was too silly to ask lol.

If you were worried, though I think its probably unneccesary, you could buy one of those laundry bags that can go in the machine, or use a pillowcase, pop your clothes in there first then put the whole thing in the machine.

If you bundle up and put your clothes into the machine, I'm sure you'll be fine. I would have thought your biggest concern would be shoes rather than clothes anyway.

Thanks so much everyone, I’m still pretty new to bunny parenting! I’ve ordered some Anigene. I’m probably being over cautious but it’ll put my mind at ease that I’ve done everything I can!

For shoes, is it enough to wipe the shoes all over with some diluted Anigene on a cloth, or is there something else I should do?

I use the purple lavender one and it does eventually make everything go slightly darker In colour. Maybe the unfragranced one doesn't have colour?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for all the information everyone!

Jane and loobers25 - do you use Anigene for washing your clothes or would it stain them as Amy said?

Unfortunately the room my rabbit spends the most time in, also happens to house our washing machine [emoji849] - if I was to change my clothes immediately (and obviously well away from him) and bring them to the washing machine in a bag, is that likely to prevent any traces of the virus on the clothes from transferring to anything else before I get it in the washing machine? Sorry, I know I’m probably massively overthinking this - I just wouldn’t want to make a mistake just because thought a question was too silly to ask lol.
If you wanted to be super careful with cross infection I would take your clothes off at the door leaving shoes outside until you can spray them. Then perhaps have a designated bag or box to transfer dirty clothes to the washing machine. Then spray it and leave it outside for your next walk? I take my clothes off just inside of the back door then mop where I was stood after but I am over the top about this

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

To disinfect shoes, try a large litter tray or shallow tub trug of disinfectant that you can stand in before you enter your property. Change it daily. It doesn't need to be deep - just enough to wet the soles. Don't wear outside shoes in the house - leave them at the door after disinfecting.

To disinfect shoes, try a large litter tray or shallow tub trug of disinfectant that you can stand in before you enter your property. Change it daily. It doesn't need to be deep - just enough to wet the soles. Don't wear outside shoes in the house - leave them at the door after disinfecting.

This :wave:

Back