• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Mikey need a companion ?

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
I've had Mikey since April of this year and needless to say i love him to pieces. He lives inside, he's in his puppy pen from about 7.30 until my partner gets in at lunch time and then is out and about, until bed time.
I've just seen so many people mentioning bonding abouts and you all seem to have more than one :) Does Mikey need a companion ? :? Not sure my partner would let me have another one as Mikey was very destructive when he was a baby, he chewed just about everything including the skirting board, didnt make him very popular with the other half :) But if it is better for him then thats all that counts

Doesn’t always mean you have to have 2 rabbits. I have 1 but hope to get a couple more next year. Toby is un neutered so he may have to stay alone. It may be best to wait until your rabbit is "Done" before getting another rabbit - then if you like rescuing another bun that has already been neutered.

Hiya, I think it really makes a lot of difference for a rabbit to have a companion of their own kind, as well as interaction with us humans.
In the Sanctuary not all our rabbits can be paired up for various reasons, but at least they can see and know other rabbits are in the environment.

If you are concerned about a young rabbit chewing things (older rabbits can be destructive too!) then locate a friendly rabbit Rescue, and see if they can recommend the ideal bunny to suit your needs.
You need to meet a few rabbits, handle them and then decide which one to choose.
A slightly older rabbit, and probably a spayed Doe would be your safest bet, as they are easier to bond with your male rabbit.

Having two rabbits instead of one makes little extra work, and is worth it to know your little darling will have a buddy to snuggle up with when you are not around...and then two bunnies will rush up to greet you when you arrive home...what a lovely thought :D

Why not recsue an older female doe that has been spayed? Older females tend to be very clean anyway - Athena used Zeus' litter tray from day one and if she is spayed she should be very well behaved towards you and Mikey too as she will have gone through the naughty teenager stage!

Athena has been pretty well behaved when it comes to furniture etc (just me she chews on ;) ).

Also a female nearer Mikey's age would probably be more suitable for him than a very young rabbit.

Caz

Oops sorry Adele simultaneous posting there - but your fingers were faster ;)!!

When we got Kim I thought that I was giving her all the love and friendship she needed, we got Aggie simply to give a home to a rescue bun.

Kim is four and Aggie is 18 months so I wasn't expecting them to get on and since neither of them has been spayed I was planning on keeping them separate as I was told two unspayed females would fight.

The two of them used to sit side by side with only the wire of the cage between them so I decided to go for it and remove the cage. the two of them bonded instantly and straight away started grooming and snuggling in to each other.

I know I was very lucky but it is onoly now when I see the two of them together I realise that I was not really a substitute for a proper bunny pal.

Kim has really come on leaps and bounds ( :lol: ) and it is really lovely to see the two girls such great pals.

I would definitely go for it.

lol Pam

Ah that's lovely story, didn't realise that both Kim and Aggie were unspayed. I tried to bond my two unspayed females but not as much luck as you! As Amy was pretty young (6 months) she was a bit too playful for Pippa (nearly 5 at the time) so I left it after Pippa became v fed up with her! Will try again when Amy is bit older, they are very accepting of eachother with wire between them now and are both lovely buns. Hopefully one day it would be nice if they got on! I do agree that if you can it's lovely for buns to have a friend, they love to snuggle. In some situations tho and with some buns it is just not possible, I think that as long as buns have lots of love and chance to have other buns around they are ok. I'm currently trying to persuade my Mum that Amy needs a boyfriend - no luck as yet!!

Nicola

Back