• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Organic Hay - £3/bale

Caz

Mama Doe
I found an advert in my local free newspaper for organic hay @ £3 a bale. So if anyone in North Hampshire/Berkshire is interested send me a pm and I will let you know their phone number (tonight when I get back - I just realised I left it at home today - doh)!

I am going down there tomorrow to see what it looks like - will let you know if it is good quality!

They are a farm near Oakley.

Caz

Actually they will do smaller amounts as I may not be able to take a whole bale - I am going to take as much of one as I can though. They said they have an open bale I could take some from if I don't want a whole one - orders being taken now peeps ;)!

Caz

It should fit in the boot of my car - Nissan Almera, but I have put the seats down just in case!

Will let you know how it went later!

Caz

Maybe its worth splitting even just to give a small amount to people? I find that someone raves about a certain hay, I get it and my bunnies look at me like I am feeding them dog food.

Well I bought a bale (seats down was a necessity) - it was bigger than the ones from my local pet shop!

Here is a pic of some of it:

hay1.jpg

It is coarser than I usually buy (the stuff I get is much thinner/finer strands) but it just got a thumbs up from Zeus, Athena and my guinea pigs!

Zeus and Athena tucked into their sample with gusto and the guinea pigs were last seen dragging it into their igloo!

yummy.jpg

I got the greener stuff from the first cut - poor bloke had to scale the hay mountain to get to it (it was at the back of course :roll: )!

Caz

O.k. update - just poked my head out and Zeus is back eating the hay (he did have a quick jog round the run in between) - never seen him so interested before!

Hmmm now I am wondering what is in it - perhaps it is addictive... :lol:

Maybe I should try some?? :wink:

Caz

why the first cut btw (just cos I am trying to get my head round hay) I got some of the west willows from Lovabun cos her guys didn't like it and my guys just used it as bedding ;-( see the fussiness, I am sure they get it off our spoiled cats ;-(

Well - according to WWW site ( http://www.westwaleswillows.co.uk/timothyhays.html ) the first cut is usually better - more nutrients etc.

In our climate, hay can be cut twice during the summer (weather permitting).
The first cut in early summer takes place once the timothy has matured and developed its flower head and the ideal cut is before the flower head is emptied.
Because of the number of stalks that the grass has developed, the fibre content is higher than in the more leafier, immature second cut that can be taken towards the end of the summer.

This year, due to the weather, we were not able to cut our fields until the middle of July.
This did not allow enough growing time for a 2nd cut and means that the 1st cut this year
is not as high in fibre and not as low in calcium as last years 1st cut.

In this case the first cut stuff was greener - I have noticed my two always tuck into the stuff from my local pet shop when it comes in greener (i.e. looks green). They seem to prefer it!

So I asked them at the farm for a greener bale and he said ah you want first cut and started scaling the mountain of hay to get me some! It smells nice and sweet.

I have bought a huge box of first cut timothy hay from WWW - arriving Tue, hope they like that, I am going to give them a mix of the new stuff, my old stuff and www timothy as a treat (v.expensive).

I serve it up to them in their litter tray usually - they eat while they poo - or tuck in every so often when they feel like some.

I tried them first with the p@h stuff - Zeus just sat on it and wouldn't eat him - don't blame him really now I am buying the better stuff I can see the difference.

Then I found my local pet shop buys in bales and bags them into smaller quantities I tried a bag of it and it was the first time Zeus tucked into hay willingly - I ended up buying a bale from them for £7 - it is meadow hay I think - hence finer stranded with a variety of grass species - not sure about organic though as the old guy who runs the shop is lovely but a bit barmy!!

This new stuff is cheaper - just hope it stays so popular with them - I didn't have any change so am £2 in credit with the farm if I want another bale!!

The only problem was it came with a queen wasp! Bloody thing flew out at me when I was driving home :evil: - managed to lose it out the window - before I freaked totally - the only living creature I can't stand!! Think I was just unlucky it had chosen my bale to rest in! :shock:

Caz

From the pic it looks green and my 2 fussy eaters like the green Oxbow stuff so I'll give them a call and ask the poor bloke to scale the hay mountain again. Amber - I'm sure you're up for some of this, it sounds like its in your neck of the woods..
thanks Caz

Amber is popping over tomorrow to get a sample - do you want to have some too? I could post some if you want!

Caz

don't you just love buns with expensive tastes. The only hay mine really chow down on is the Oxbow (v expensive) or Adele's (v far to collect) so i'm hoping this stuff pans out OK for them

Tadley is 20min off J6 of M3 or J12 of M4 - we are right between the two motorways.

It is equidistant between Reading, Newbury and Basingstoke - partial postcode RG26 4!

Caz

~Lisa~ said:
bluebunny said:
My lot have organic hay they love it they wont touch any other now!

Hi Marie, where do you buy your organic hay from?
Hiya
i get it from a farm shop about 10 mins from where i live,you get a massive back for £3,i can pm you thr details if you like?

Back