• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RAW 3rd June - GBBO

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Great Bunny treat Bake Off!

There are lots of yummy treats & goodies available in shops and online but we'd like to see your ideas for healthy, home made treats for bunnies. There are a few recipes here to get you started, but feel free to get creative with bunny safe ingredients - let us know what works and what doesn't and, most importantly of all, we want to know if they passed the taste test!

With fresh grass: http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2012/05/15/making-grass-biscuits/
Fenugreek & Banana: http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/11/16/homemade-rabbit-treats/
Carrot & Banana: http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/12/21/minute-christmas-baking-rabbits/

A winner will be chosen at random by 2pm on 10th June and will receive some goodies from Burgess pet care (a bag of indoor rabbit food, hay and treats).

Ooh brilliant, Treacles been waiting for this one, she's got her list of ingredients at the ready, for mum to make obviously :D

Cant participate in this one as I do not have any form of oven ! [emoji38]
As of Wednesday I won't either for a while... [emoji23][emoji23]

I wonder if there's anything you could air-dry. With the warm weather and the sun it might be just as quick as an oven on low heat. [emoji23]

As of Wednesday I won't either for a while... [emoji23][emoji23]

I wonder if there's anything you could air-dry. With the warm weather and the sun it might be just as quick as an oven on low heat. [emoji23]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, will have a think. This may be painful and take some time ................... !!

I did make some homemade treats, I think they came out okay. they weren't exactly.. pretty though. looked like poop :lol: the bunnies liked them. I think I lost the recipe so I'll have to try again, I vaugely remember what I did. its blending the pellet up tho so that it goes dusty! makes such a noise.

Ima try doing some, never have before... This could go horribly wrong [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Does laying garden leaves out to dry in the conservatory count as baking?!
It's just a bit of fun really so I think so - maybe you could think of a clever/pretty way of presenting them though? A bunny bouquet for example? Then Bertie can trash it. [emoji23]

I've had a quick search for no-bake treats but haven't found much yet. I wonder if a bit of banana could be used as a binder? They'd probably need to be fed fresh though.

Or how about thinking of unusual ways of presenting veggies etc - this is probably more for our benefit than the rabbits' I know but it's a bit of fun and something to fill the time when we should be doing boring stuff like housework. [emoji23] I found a video for making veggies look like snowmen, for example.

Binkycodie, if you're baking them after, have you tried soaking the pellets in water to soften them instead of grinding?

It's years since I made any but it was a much less messy way of making a 'dough' type mixture and as long as you bake them for long enough after, the moisture isn't a problem.

yes, I think I tried soaking them in water but then the mixture went too soggy..so they never fully hardened :lol: actually if I think I've had that issue every time I've tried now. I've tried baking them at a lower temp for a longer time and at a higher temp but both times didn't work out too well. its really just trial and error, but I don't like failing :lol: I bake them after in the oven.

How much water did you use? You could try using just a tiny amount of water and letting them soak for longer? Adding more water as you go if you need to.

I tried bashing them up with a hammer once but that didn't go too well. [emoji23][emoji23]

I'm a big bunny treat baker but it feels a bit fraudulent as I've spoken about them so many times on here.

I'm a big bunny treat baker but it feels a bit fraudulent as I've spoken about them so many times on here.
Nahhhh! I wanna see! :D

I've just ordered a bunny shaped cookie cutter ;) going all out [emoji38][emoji38]

Nah, you should join in! The prize is random anyway so the winner might even be someone who bakes some treats that their bunny absolutely hates. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nah, you should join in! The prize is random anyway so the winner might even be someone who bakes some treats that their bunny absolutely hates. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Not that I'm saying anyone here is going to do that of course...... [emoji23][emoji23] But, if it happened, the bunnies would deserve a prize after being fed rubbish baking. [emoji23]

Bertie has decided he doesn't trust me to bake treats. He is not a fussy eater like Spenser, but he does have limits.

Back