• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone any experience of bunnies on bark chips?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
You can get untreated bark so on a toxic level I'm assuming its safe enough but how will bunny feet fare on it? Any thoughts / experiences ?

Yes :wave: my quad of bunnies had a run on bark chips over mesh. If you buy playbark it is untreated and safe. It does rot down a bit over time, from memory I think it lasted a year before it needed topping up, I think I used 3 or 4 bags from b&q for my 17x 10ft run, which gave a couple of inches depth. Luckily they didn’t poop on it much! It was cheaper than slabbing it and their feet were very cushioned on it.

Yes :wave: my quad of bunnies had a run on bark chips over mesh. If you buy playbark it is untreated and safe. It does rot down a bit over time, from memory I think it lasted a year before it needed topping up, I think I used 3 or 4 bags from b&q for my 17x 10ft run, which gave a couple of inches depth. Luckily they didn’t poop on it much! It was cheaper than slabbing it and their feet were very cushioned on it.

Marvellous, just what I wanted to hear

Our bark yard is now covered in bark. I think it'll be lovely for the bunnies to run on, dig in etc. Can't wait to try them on it

that's good to know - thanks. Was your run covered?

No, it was a home built aviary style run, it had weldmesh fencing around it and over it. It was in a relatively shady spot (failed vegetable garden area) it was on a base of hardcore several inches thick, topsoil a sleeper or so thick, then the bark. When the darlings dug out through all that and were running loose in the goats area of woodland, I meshed under the bark to stop further escape. I suppose although it was very shady and would have had a tendency to be damp, it was very well draining. The bark didn’t seem to soak up water too much at all, no soggy hocks :thumb:

cool. thanks for the info Zoobec. Ours will not be free draining as its on concrete in a very wet corner of Lancashire. As its just an occasional play area I can at least monitor if & when they are exposed to it. I can't see how it would be much different from lots of wildies stomping ground, although as I say, more exposed to the elements

I think it will be fine, it might just need topping up as it rots down. Mine never ate any of it, that I was aware of anyway.

vuxnvc5l.jpg

Xoa7Tj6l.jpg

xFop6hWl.jpg

2IKpM7Sl.jpg

k3IlT1kl.jpg

oCYde7Ql.jpg

duyqKukl.jpg

b88vHqfl.jpg

:lol: I love the purple colour you’ve used :love:

aw thanks. It was white last year that quickly went manky with the water dribbling down from planters so chose that as was on sale at work but I quite like it. It'll be better when the flowers bloom (& I get more)

It looks as though they approve :) The bark also looks soft for their feet.

Joey concurs it is suitably bouncy .

I hope Mouse likes it too, she's not tried it yet but has the most to gain from a comfier exercise space. She doesn't tend to like new things though

Back