• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dandi's got poo on her bum - AGAIN!

Charlie

Young Bun
Hi, I put a message on here a couple of months ago, about Dandi, because she kept on getting poo stuck to her bum and my dad had to keep cutting it off, which must be very stressing for her!
We tried to cut down on vegetables, but that doesn't seem to be working. Is this common with dwarf lop rabbits, and is there anything else I can do?
Luv
Charlie

Can you tell us exactly what you are feeding her including brands and quanities? This makes it easier to suggest where the problem might lie.

Generally the solution is to cut right down on the dry food and increase the hay, but things like changing the type of food/veggies can help too.

Tamsin

i had the same prob with my mini lop (no longer with us) and have the same prob with her sis, she dont eat much hay and i think its to do with fiber as none of my lops eat much hay and have more squiggy poos
becky

Aggie had squidgy poos and I think it was probably because I was giving her too much veg.

I seemed to spend all day wiping her bott - she wouldn't help matters by constantly sitting down right on top of the poos :roll: :roll: Believe me cleaning a pooey bott when you have false nails is no joke.

Anyway I took some of Lynda's advice and just fed her hay and excel and since then she has been fine. Kim doesn't look to chuffed though and keeps looking at me and then back to the food as if to say "is that it?"

I got some nice Timothy hay for them this evening and they are both munching away happily.

I will re-introduce some veg in a couple of days.

lol Pam

PS - apparently Pie has a problem with his botty hair getting too long so I will be enlisting help to trim it regularly - me and scissors just do not go.

It's really hard cutting down on the veg and pellets especially when they devour the paltry portion of pellets when you do give them but the Hay diet works. I've managed to avoid the organic veg section in Tesco's - no mean feat as I really thought I was giving them treats - I would come back with carrots/tops, spring greens, savoy cabbage and it all had to be eaten within a certain time so they got a fair bit each day. I've had 1 soft squashed poo since they returned from Bunny Boot Camp but they were hopping round the garden yesterday and may have had (OK they defintely had) some grass and plants :shock: sshhhh don't tell Adele ..... Since I eliminated veg, their hay intake has defintely increased and you could play golf with the poos :lol:

I find that if Princess has bit too much Excel it can give her squishy poos (as I found today!) So will be cutting back, she just won't eat much hay tho so bit difficult! Lovely Timothy hay arrived today courtesy of Chinchillas 2 Shop so hopefully the lovely smell of that will tempt her to eat some!!

I think hay and small amount of pellets (or none as my vet recommended if they are overweight!) works wonders for sticky bums, then introduce things slowly once all is well again and you should be able to eliminate any veggies that don't agree if u introduce them one by one.

Becky - Princess is so reluctant to eat hay (not a lop tho), have u found any type of hay that tempts your buns who are fussy bout hay?

Nicola

Back