• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Question

binkygirl2013

Young Bun
Upon recent examination for other issues (arthritis, UTI, stasis) my vet pointed out my 6 year old bunny might need to go under GA and have her teeth examined. She said she has a small misalignment on one side but it isn't a spur and she doesn't think it's causing her current issues.

I didn't ask at the time cos I was more concerned about her current issues but am now just wondering what the procedure is for misaligned teeth and is it covered on the insurance. I have Petplan covered for life policy for both my buns and the policy states dental injury and disease are covered but rasping, burring and trimming aren't.

Silly question but what is the difference between rasping, burring and trimming and injury and disease?

in my experience with pet plan, they'll carry out dental procedures as long as they've had a health check (including their teeth) within the last year, and once the vet informs you about the issue you act upon it within a month or so.

of course they can not accept the claim but I've had to do a few now with no issues :)

on the paperwork (I can't remember the wording) but it contradicts itself a bit, it says it won't accept dental procedures for rabbits and then says it will, it mostly comes down to health checks and if you act upon it.

in my experience with pet plan, they'll carry out dental procedures as long as they've had a health check (including their teeth) within the last year, and once the vet informs you about the issue you act upon it within a month or so.

of course they can not accept the claim but I've had to do a few now with no issues :)

on the paperwork (I can't remember the wording) but it contradicts itself a bit, it says it won't accept dental procedures for rabbits and then says it will, it mostly comes down to health checks and if you act upon it.

Yeah it really isn't very clear is it:? I've always been told she has perfect teeth and they were last checked in January with no issues so not sure where this has come from. If it needs doing I'll do it for her regardless of whether it's covered or not, just wondered if I needed to start saving :(

rabbits teeth can seemingly go from fine to not very quickly, Luna has never had dental issues, nor Orion (touch wood) and suddenly they both needed dentals. however I'd probably say it could have been caused via the stasis, UTI and arthritis and bunnies don't like to eat or be as active when they're in pain, so it might have caused the teeth to become a bit wonky. I think Luna & Orion's was caused from stress via building work. usually theres a cause for it but it can just happen :?

you could always call them and ask for more clarification as it is a bit confusing!

rabbits teeth can seemingly go from fine to not very quickly, Luna has never had dental issues, nor Orion (touch wood) and suddenly they both needed dentals. however I'd probably say it could have been caused via the stasis, UTI and arthritis and bunnies don't like to eat or be as active when they're in pain, so it might have caused the teeth to become a bit wonky. I think Luna & Orion's was caused from stress via building work. usually theres a cause for it but it can just happen :?

you could always call them and ask for more clarification as it is a bit confusing!

Aww bless them, they're such a worry at times :(

Back