• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden death - pink froth around nostrils

Texutree

New Kit
Hi, sadly my rabbit (about 18 months old) died overnight a couple of nights ago. When I found him there was a small amount of pink froth around his nostrils. He also had several strands of hay in his mouth, extending down his throat - these had not been chewed, which I thought was strange.

There was also quite a large pool of urine on the floor, outside just in front of his hutch and I have no idea how that got there.

I have subsequently discovered VHD, he was not vaccinated so I suspect this is a possibility. I wondered if anyone could shed light on the strands of hay, though?

I am posting this just to get an idea of what might have happened. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry this has happened. It must have been a huge shock:(

Might the large pool of urine been from a fox?

Thanks for the replies. I did wonder if the urine might be from a predator. The hutch is inside a building which does have a cat flap a fox might get through. There are no signs of scratching at the hutch though which I would have expected if a fox was trying to get inside

I’m so sorry you lost your bunny:cry: without a PM it’s almost impossible to say why he died :cry: could the urine have dribbled out of the hutch?

Thanks for the messages. There is no sign the urine trickled out and, in fact, I am starting to think it was actually probably a fox. I just don't think the rabbit could or would have urinated in such a way for a puddle to form where it did. Furthermore, there was quite a lot and more than would be usual for a rabbit.

So sorry to hear that you have lost your bunny, and in such sad circumstances. Fox does sound like likely culprit, but I'm sure your bunny had a wonderfully happy life spent with you xx binky free little bunny xxx

Back