• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unneutured male rabbits

I may be getting some male rabbits soonish and they have lived together since they were born, they arn't very old but by no means babies. What are the chances they will fight?

Well, if they are not fighting now...they will do. My rabbit Toby lived with his brother since they were babies and they began to fight. They would have fight till death if I didn’t part them. So I would recommend you getting them “done”.

I was lucky enough to have three unaltered male rabbits that had seperate hutches but would all go in the run together and not fight. Think it was just luck though and you would be better to seperate them

My 2 males didn't actually fight but from about 14 weeks kept trying to hump each other and spray each other with urine, it got so bad I had to separate them until they were neutered!

If they arent fighting now they may soon start once spring is on its way, its best to have them "done". Saves on the vets bills and the clearing of nasty abcesses caused by fighting.

do you have any female rabbits?
if they get a whiff then you can probably expect trouble.
I think this advice has been posted already to another member, but maybe you could ask your vet for a discount for multiple neutering operations?
good luck.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
No I don't have any other rabbits, I have female guinea pigs that will live in a hutch by them, will that make them fight, or doesn't it make a difference as they are a different species?

Rachel

Hi Rachel.

keeping unneutered Bucks together is very risky even ones who have lived together since birth.All may go well initially, but as soon as the hormones kick in really nasty fights will ensue.
If the Bucks are separated and left unneutered they will become difficult to handle in a lot of cases as they are constantly hyped up!.
It really is in their interest to get the Bucks castrated when they are young and fit then so many more doors are open to you re bonding the bunnies, and they will calm down making them easy to handle.

We have an elderly Buck who is unneutered and it is such a shame as he would love a companion, but it cannot happen.
He is really too old for operations, as he is fragile, and it is sad to see him obviously delighting in sniffing other rabbits through the wire doors of the cage, but not actually being able to snuggle up with one. :?
We considered getting a spayed Doe companion for the old Buck, but he would just drive the Doe mad with his demands, and this is not fair!.

We recently had our gorgeous Dalmatian Rex youngster castrated, and he was all cuddly when he arrived, but once the hormones kicked in we could not get near him as he was manic and spraying everything.
I doubt he was a truly happy bunny either, as he was basically going nuts when he spied any rabbit(or us!!..so I guess guinea pigs could trigger a response too in your boys!) in the distance at the Sanctuary.
We really felt it would not be in his interests to leave him like that, and we now have the option of getting him into a group, or at least bonded with a companion later. Rabbits are social creatures by nature, and it is lovely to see mutual grooming, and frisking as they run together :D

Yeah that’s true! Toby was a right ****** when he was younger...and his still a bit mischievous now at 13.

Back