• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cereal.... ?

Mubby

Banned
Ok I was just having a bowl of special K for a very late breakfast! lol

and i was gonna give Mubs a bit... but didnt until i asked the bunny people if it was ok! :lol:

would a few flakes of special K b bad ? :?

how about any other cereals ? weetabix ?

This morning I opened the cupboard to get my fruit and fibre out, heard some huge scampering paws - when I turned round Zeus had upended the shredded wheat box and was dragging a packet across the floor!!

Now I let him have one every now and again as they are supposed to have nothing added etc etc - Athena has a nibble too but isn't as keen - cheeky sod had already ripped the packet (with teeth and claws in his excitement) and slobbered on them so I left them on the floor - can't wait to see the devistation when I get home - sigh! There will be cereal everywhere - he makes such a mess when he eats one let alone three!!

He will be on a pellet ration tonight for that!!

I would check the ingredients - some supposedly healthy cereals actually contain sugar and salt which is bad for bunnys.

I am sure I read on here before someone feeds weetabix to their bun - not sure about other cereals though.

Caz

hi,
is ok but not too much because belive it or not ever bran flakes have high content of suger in.
i feed weetabix and dry bread to build up thin rabbits
becky

I was told to give Blueberry weetabix.......what a mess!!!
I don't give her it any more now she's bigger, I caught her with her nose in the packet of fruit and fibre today though :roll:

I sometimes give weetabix with warm water on a cold night, or porridge.

Tam

My two get theirs dry - yesterday when I got home, I had forgotten about the cereal incident :roll: !

Yup you guessed it straight into the kitchen with bare feet - mmm shredded wheat between the toes - lovely :? ! They had spread it all round the kitchen and eaten two out of the three (they finished off the third later).

Caz

All cerals with added salt and sugar in should be avoided.

That includes Weetabix.

Ready Brek Original contains no added salt or sugar.

I ocassionaly feed my lot Shredded Wheat as a treat as this has no added salt/sugar and they go mad for it! :D

Louise

Rexy bexy said:
hi,
is ok but not too much because belive it or not ever bran flakes have high content of suger in.
i feed weetabix and dry bread to build up thin rabbits
becky

I found Ready Break Orginal was good for thin or ill Rabbits.

I only feed dried Wholemeal bread as white bread swells up in there stomach causing bloat.

Louise

Please be careful feeding foods with high salt or sugar content in, such as Weetabix, as it can play havoc with a rabbits guts.
We nearly lost a rabbit who ate Weetabix as the cereal expanded in the gut and causes gut statis.
The simpler the diet the better for bunnies, although you find the occasional rabbit who will tolerate cereals on the surface, but it is what the salt and sugar is doing internally that worries me.

Back