• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance query

nap91

Mama Doe
So I've just had a letter from my rabbit insurance today, saying they are now placing exclusions on Snowy's plan for eye disorders, mouth disorders and facial abscesses. I rung up and queried this because she's never had an abscess and the only eye disorder was when she got hay stuck in one eye, but this was way after I took out the plan.

The insurance have said that it's because she's had spurs and this can cause the other conditions so they are no longer covering them. Has anyone else experienced this with insurance of a dental bunny? It's especially annoying because she didn't even have dental problems when I took out the insurance, just within the first 14 days! :roll:

Petplan put all those exclusions on Rudy. He had a molar spur dental within about 6 weeks of me adopting him (about a year before I insured him). They also put an exclusion on for gastrointestinal. years later I asked for it to be reviewed and they removed the gastro one as he hadn't had an episode for over a year (actually over 3 years but they just wanted one). they wouldn't budge on the whole eye and mouth disorders nonesense... He died about 8 years after the dental never needing another one!

Petplan put all those exclusions on Rudy. He had a molar spur dental within about 6 weeks of me adopting him (about a year before I insured him). They also put an exclusion on for gastrointestinal. years later I asked for it to be reviewed and they removed the gastro one as he hadn't had an episode for over a year (actually over 3 years but they just wanted one). they wouldn't budge on the whole eye and mouth disorders nonesense... He died about 8 years after the dental never needing another one!

I've got the gastro one too! I've just been arguing on the phone for 45 minutes that when she got hay stuck in her eye that was not caused by her teeth but they just weren't budging!! Ridiculous. Glad it's not just me though!

Oh no! What company are you with if you don't mind me asking? They shouldn't be excluding things unless they happened before you took out the policy or sadly with the inception period (first 14 days which I think might've happened?). If you ask your vets some may be able to write a letter requesting removal of exclusions after a certain length of time if the pet hasn't had any problems since.

Oh no! What company are you with if you don't mind me asking? They shouldn't be excluding things unless they happened before you took out the policy or sadly with the inception period (first 14 days which I think might've happened?). If you ask your vets some may be able to write a letter requesting removal of exclusions after a certain length of time if the pet hasn't had any problems since.

PetPlan, which has really surprised me because they've been absolutely great with Phillip and his heart problem plus various other conditions.
That's what I thought, yes the teeth happened within the inception bit. My vet is brilliant so I'm sure she'll do that if necessary but honestly what a hassle!
I just think it's odd that you can exclude things which might happen as side effects.
Surely you could say that about so many other conditions?

Back