• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still going well ???????

beck

Mama Doe
After the weekends long bonding sessions I've had to go back to first thing and evening sessions together - i'm not getting anything done!
Although Brian is a lot more confident there just doesn't seem to be any progress.
Blueberry the last few days has been.. going up to him and what initially looks like gently nibbling she gets rougher/harder till Brian runs off grunting at her (he's quite a vocal little fellow). The rest of the time she's trying to get out of the smaller space than she's used to :roll: - I do keep telling her the sooner she accepts Brian the sooner she gets full run of the LR again :lol:

Could it be an age thing? Brian is 2yrs whereas Blue is coming up 8 months.

I'll just keep at it........

Hiya

I don't have much experience with bonding, but it may well be an age thing. She is probably wanting to play cos she is young and he might not want that! I do know bonding can take ages sometimes, sounds like you are doing well, little and often. I've heard of people who sometimes take months to bond but then it's happy ever after :) When I did try my young one out with my older one she kept runnin around wantin to play and older one just wants a quiet life! There was a much bigger age gap between them tho, 4 and a half years (I didn't plan that tho!!).

Good luck with them, I'm sure they will sort themselves out eventually :)

Nicola

Does she chase him when he runs off? It sounds a bit like she wants her new toy to play and is getting annoyed that he's not brave enough to show a bit more reaction yet ;)

Is the pen in the living room? I'd be tempted to open up a section so she can come and go as she likes, if she's getting fustrated about being in thats not going to help.

Where is he when they're not together? Would it be ppossible to leave him in the pen? He might get a bit braver if he gets more used to the space.

I don't think its an age thing, I think he's just feeling abit over whelmed. There are a lot of new things for him to deal with. Has he lived with another bunny before? A lot of the time bunnies don't see another rabbit since they leave their mum so it takes them awhile to get back in the swing of all the social graces.

I still think you'll get there in the end, the time it takes varies though sometimes just a couple of days and sometimes several weeks.

Best wishes,
Tam

Tamsin said:
Does she chase him when he runs off? It sounds a bit like she wants her new toy to play and is getting annoyed that he's not brave enough to show a bit more reaction yet ;)

Yes.

Tamsin said:
Is the pen in the living room? I'd be tempted to open up a section so she can come and go as she likes, if she's getting fustrated about being in thats not going to help.

Yes, I'll try that!

Tamsin said:
Where is he when they're not together? Would it be ppossible to leave him in the pen? He might get a bit braver if he gets more used to the space.

In the pws panels with Blueberry, but I use one to seperate them. I am just moving some of the panels into the living room to make a pen when I put them together - so it's not "home" it's a different room, different toys etc. Can't really keep him in there in the day cos of the kids.

I don't think he's been with other rabbits for over a yr.
fingers crossed they'll be together by christmas!

Thanks for the advice Tamsin and Nicola.

yeah I hope they get to spend Xmas snuggled up together :) Wot a nice xmas pressie they will b for eachother.

Good luck, I know the stress you're going through. Sounds like you're doing everything right and I firmly believe you get a "feel" for whats right and whats not. I don't think my nerves could have stood many more humping/chasing sessions :shock: so I hope it works out while your nerves are still intact :!:

Thanks Jill, it was all worth it for you by the sounds of things!

I had the pen open tonight in the living room and both came out, Blueberry was quite good considering it is her territory.
Brian even had a binky!! first I've seen him do :D and I found out he is a licky bun :love: he's just got to start licking Blue now and not me :roll:

sounding good girl! I firmly believe the trick is to let them dictate the pace and not to rush it and it is so worth it. You're doing great.

Back