• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about humping

joemorris86

Young Bun
Hi. I have had 2 mini lops for nearly 2 years now. One boy and one girl. They bonded perfectly and have never fought, humped or really shown any sign of dominance over one another.

For the last few weeks the boy rabbit has started trying to mount our girl, mainly her face, and hump away. She normally runs away and he gives up.

My question is, is this a problem? and should I stop him when he does it? or is this all perfectly normal and should I just let him do his thing?

Thanks for any tips.

The most common reason for humping in neutered rabbitsis to establish dominance. The boss rabbit will hump their partner to say they’re in charge. As you’ve noticed, they may hump the head rather than the traditional end! Girls will hump boys too. It’s perfectly normal, the only time I’d be concerned is if there is aggression or if one rabbit is relentlessly being humped and has nowhere to escape to. We often talk about spring fever in bunnies, when spring comes it seems to trigger an increase in humping behaviour, probably because now is a good time to raise young. Hope that helps!

Back