• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I crazy?

k1984

Mama Doe
I am seriously debating the idea of bonding all 6 of my existing bunnies together to form a group. Now I know...this might sound crazy...but let me talk you through my thought processes...:lol::shock::D

1) Bear is currently on his own after losing Dolly. I don't want to gain any more rabbits but also don't want him to be by himself. I also have Buttons, currently on her own, but was due to be bonded to Pete and Greyie (after they lost Henryk last year). So I have to bunnies that are single at the moment. Bear is a frenchie...Buttons is netherland dwarf size. Now I know that size doesn't really matter but Bear is quiet a dominant character, and knowing him very well, feel he would thrive on companionship but dominate one particularly smaller companion.
2) This leads me onto thinking that Bear could be bonded to Buttons, Greyie and Pete. All very small bunnies (a stark contrast to Bear in size). So three small and one large.
3) If I were to bring in Adam and Leo too (very fluffy but small/medium lion heads) then hubby has agreed to upgrade the current housing to a brand new shed which all 6 would live in....giving them access to the shed and entire secure patio area. This would mean that ALL of my current rabbits would have access to a much larger area to run, hop and play constantly. At the moment it has been just the french lops (Dolly and Bear) that have had all this privilege. The shed would be fitted out with hides, tunnels, platforms and ramps to give the rabbits space to 'get away' from each other if they so wish.

Am I mad in thinking about these plans? I keep swaying :lol::lol::lol:

Well... maybe? :lol:
I already feel quite overwhelmed by the bonding of my 3 rabbits, I couldn't image trying it with 6. But if you do, I would be interested in knowing how you go about it!

I am seriously debating the idea of bonding all 6 of my existing bunnies together to form a group. Now I know...this might sound crazy...but let me talk you through my thought processes...:lol::shock::D

1) Bear is currently on his own after losing Dolly. I don't want to gain any more rabbits but also don't want him to be by himself. I also have Buttons, currently on her own, but was due to be bonded to Pete and Greyie (after they lost Henryk last year). So I have to bunnies that are single at the moment. Bear is a frenchie...Buttons is netherland dwarf size. Now I know that size doesn't really matter but Bear is quiet a dominant character, and knowing him very well, feel he would thrive on companionship but dominate one particularly smaller companion.
2) This leads me onto thinking that Bear could be bonded to Buttons, Greyie and Pete. All very small bunnies (a stark contrast to Bear in size). So three small and one large.
3) If I were to bring in Adam and Leo too (very fluffy but small/medium lion heads) then hubby has agreed to upgrade the current housing to a brand new shed which all 6 would live in....giving them access to the shed and entire secure patio area. This would mean that ALL of my current rabbits would have access to a much larger area to run, hop and play constantly. At the moment it has been just the french lops (Dolly and Bear) that have had all this privilege. The shed would be fitted out with hides, tunnels, platforms and ramps to give the rabbits space to 'get away' from each other if they so wish.

Am I mad in thinking about these plans? I keep swaying :lol::lol::lol:
dear k1984,--rabbits like independence/bonding and,tend to be territorial,--what you would like to see may be possible,but they will be the deciding factors,please adjust accordingly lots outcomes which may not be good..--sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

What a great idea! I tried to bond six once. Two brothers (who had fallen out), two sisters and a male female pair.

The m/f pair were not happy to join the others and were much happier as a pair. The quad are still together six years on.

It was easy to read them and although it was stressful I really enjoyed it!

I had a six. They had two hutches in a fenced off area in my garden and chose which hutch to sleep in at night (neither were big enough for six buns). They regularly swapped around who was with who, had loads of space and were really happy. One of them was deaf so I was worried when I bonded them but it was a reasonably easy bond. Sadly, this was a long time ago and they are all at the Bridge now and I have a trio - but am hoping to make this a quad when I can find a suitable bun to adopt.

I like big groups of buns as it means they have a lot more space but it is more difficult to check input and output.

No you’re not crazy! You know all your rabbits so have more chance than bringing in a new one. Just increase the space very slowly and once bonded make sure you have plenty of hideaways.
Also be prepared for the dynamics of the group to change, I had more problems with my little docile doe than the usually feisty one.

It’s slightly more difficult trying to spot the one with the small poos but completely worth it when they are all binkying around and, as you say, they would have more room.

Go for it and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's a great idea to have a go. good luck.

I'd LOVE 6 buns !! - just the vaccination costs put me off.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I think I am definitely going to go ahead...once I’ve saved enough to buy the shed (so far within a week the car has cost me £300, which has financially put things on hold..arrrggghh!) x

vaccinations/jabbs

I think it's a great idea to have a go. good luck.

I'd LOVE 6 buns !! - just the vaccination costs put me off.
dear mikek,-I have paid thousands of $$-for my lagamorphs,from housing,feeding,and medical care..etc.--the myxi virus has not reared its ugly head in the u.s.a/yet..--I was curious what is the cost annually for the jabs??.--the historical background of this virus is disturbing enough without government making it a more lethal disease..sincerely james waller from across the great pond -usa:love::wave:

Back