• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Indoor bunny questions

Hi all. Badger the bunny is a small chap and about eight years old. He is neutered and we’ve had him since he was a kitten. He is free-range in his own room and litter tray trained. He has always had a very good diet: fresh hay daily; Burgess grass pellets; a small amount of parsley and carrot (he’s never been that keen on vegetables and they used to make his poos rather soft). Any treats have always been of the herby variety - nothing with sugar or additives.

Badger recently had a check-up and nail trim at the vet and I mentioned that he’s producing excess caecatrophes, and is much less interested in the Burgess pellets. The vet was not at all concerned, saying that he presented as a good couple of years younger than his actual age and very healthy (she is a ‘bunny expert’), but suggested getting some fibre pellets, which I’ve done. Badger is ignoring these, along with the Burgess ones!

So, my questions are: does it matter that he’s eating less, or is it natural at his age (he’s fine in every other way); do the excess caecatrophes matter (his bottom is clean!); should I try him with more veg and, if so, what would you recommend please? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, some bunnies just don't like the taste of fibre pellets if you mean the science selective ones. Have you tried science selective mature rabbit food?

Does he eat plenty of hay and herbs, forage?

Did your Vet check Badger's teeth or check him for Arthritis as this could be preventing him from reaching round to eat his Cecals. I have older rabbits but they eat well and possibly more than before. It doesn't sound like he is overweight. How many pellets do you give him each day?

Thanks for the replies. Badger’s teeth are fine, and he doesn’t have arthritis. He has a teacupful of pellets each day and, although they’ve always looked boring to me (they are just compressed grass) he’s previously happily eaten them.

Some rabbits get excess caecatrophes when fed on burgess excel, although none of mine ever have. It could be the carrot and parsley, some rabbits can’t seem to tolerate fresh veg and herbs, it might be worth cutting those out and seeing what happens, and introducing dried forage or other herbs.

Back