PDA

View Full Version : UTI help appreciated for Treacle Update 6/5/19

Pets mum
02-05-2019, 01:25 PM
It was all going too well :( Treacle went a for another dental yesterday, which was to remove just one bothersome spur. I asked vet to check her wee, while she was under g/a, as she had been spotting outside of her tray, and straining a bit vet confirmed a UTI. Came home with metacam, and vet ordered abx.
Treacle was straight in her hay box munching when I got her home, but then seemed to go downhill. I've been up and down all night checking on her, no eating, no poos and no wees, and not looking happy, so straight back to vets this morning.
By the time I got there she had a done a little wee in the carrier, not a big one like yesterday that I got all over my trousers :roll:, she was given more gut stimulant, vet said her bladder felt normal size and not over full. The abx had arrived so brought that home. She has been given Co-Trimoxazole for. 4.3 ml dosage, anyone have any experience of this ? I can't find much information, but maybe I'm just so tired, I can't think straight. Was out at 5 am in the pouring rain picking nice lush grass, she wouldn't touch it unless I held it !
Sorry if that's all a bit garbled, I'm running on caffeine at the moment, just wanted to know a bit more about the abx, has anyone else been given this ?
Thanks xx

Zoobec
02-05-2019, 01:38 PM
I don’t have any experience of uti in bunnies so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes. Picking grass and brambles in the rain in the middle of the night sounds familiar though. As does hand feeding, after his last dental Frosty would only eat if I brought it to him and fed him by hand. In fact he became depressed and would only eat hay if I sat with him, in fact that is why I went to the rescue and found him a hay eating monster friend:lol:

I hope she is feeling better soon and that you get some sleep tonight:thumb:

Sending hugs xx

Pets mum
02-05-2019, 01:53 PM
I donít have any experience of uti in bunnies so I canít advise, but Iím sending lots of vibes. Picking grass and brambles in the rain in the middle of the night sounds familiar though. As does hand feeding, after his last dental Frosty would only eat if I brought it to him and fed him by hand. In fact he became depressed and would only eat hay if I sat with him, in fact that is why I went to the rescue and found him a hay eating monster friend:lol:

I hope she is feeling better soon and that you get some sleep tonight:thumb:

Sending hugs xx

Thank you, yes now I remember, Frosty did prefer room service :lol: I did wonder if Treacle was having me on a bit :roll: I've just caught her eating a bit for herself thank goodness.

Zoobec
02-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Thank you, yes now I remember, Frosty did prefer room service :lol: I did wonder if Treacle was having me on a bit :roll: I've just caught her eating a bit for herself thank goodness.

Yes, he had me on for well over a week :roll: Iím glad she is eating now, topping up the vibes xx

Jack's-Jane
02-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Co-trimoxazole is a mixture of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (AKA 'Septrin') and usually very effective in the treatment of UTIs as long as the bacteria causing the infection is sensitive to the abx. Is Treacle also on some pain relief as UTIs/cystitis can be painful and pain will affect her eating/gut motility.

Sending vibes for her xx

joey&boo
02-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Boo has been enjoying room service too. I'm so sorry Treacly bun is struggling. I hope the abx work & she feels better soon. I don't have any UTI experience & I don't think my buns have used that anti biotic before. Loads of vibes xx

Glingle
02-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Pleased to hear sheís starting to eat a bit more now. Not had any experience with that particular antibiotic sorry. I know in humans antibiotics for UTIís kick in within 24-48hrs, so I hope she feels better soon. I still think you did a great job picking up on the UTI so quickly.
Just seen Janeís post - that is the antibiotic Willow had for her urine infection, she had loxicom for pain relief, but she was much better 24 hrs after starting the antibiotics.

Pets mum
02-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Co-trimoxazole is a mixture of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (AKA 'Septrin') and usually very effective in the treatment of UTIs as long as the bacteria causing the infection is sensitive to the abx. Is Treacle also on some pain relief as UTIs/cystitis can be painful and pain will affect her eating/gut motility.

Sending vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane, yes she is on metacam, I'm really struggling to get her to eat, and no poops since last night. They gave her another gut stimulant this morning. I've not long syringed some ground nuggets mixed with baby food, but not sure how much went in, same with the abx. She's just sitting looking at me now :(

Jack's-Jane
02-05-2019, 04:22 PM
Thanks Jane, yes she is on metacam, I'm really struggling to get her to eat, and no poops since last night. They gave her another gut stimulant this morning. I've not long syringed some ground nuggets mixed with baby food, but not sure how much went in, same with the abx. She's just sitting looking at me now :(

What prokinetics (gut motility meds) is she having and has she had any additional fluid therapy ?

Pets mum
02-05-2019, 04:30 PM
What prokinetics (gut motility meds) is she having and has she had any additional fluid therapy ?

I've no idea what the gut motility med was, the vet just administered that. No additional fluid therapy, but she has actually been drinking. She looks quite bright in herself, I'm going to go and pick some more long grass for her, it's really stalky and it's been raining all day, so should have good moisture content. It's at times like this I sometimes think I should move, I have to rely on a friend to give me a lift to vets, and it's a 40 mile round trip each time.

Omi
02-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Sending lots more vibes for Treacle. I hope that the abx starts to help soon.

joey&boo
02-05-2019, 05:13 PM
I've similar transport woes often. It adds to stress doesn't it. I should have moved to north yorkshire not east lancs - its so difficult to get anywhere & massively time consuming

Its good to hear JJ's views on her abx

Pets mum
02-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Thanks everyone, don't want to tempt fate, but think all your lovely vibes are starting to work, we've got a few poos and some wee ! I'm so shattered, would someone like to come and syringe feed me :(

Jack's-Jane
02-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone, don't want to tempt fate, but think all your lovely vibes are starting to work, we've got a few poos and some wee ! I'm so shattered, would someone like to come and syringe feed me :(

.............or set up an IV wine drip !!

Sounds as though Treacle is showing some simes of improvement xx

bunny momma
02-05-2019, 08:33 PM
I am so glad your bunny is improving. It can be so stressful when your beloved pet is ill. I recommend a dose of chocolate anything for you.

Pets mum
02-05-2019, 09:06 PM
I am so glad your bunny is improving. It can be so stressful when your beloved pet is ill. I recommend a dose of chocolate anything for you.

Thank you ! Yes I did just that, half a bar of Aldi bubbly chocolate :D

Jack's-Jane
03-05-2019, 05:11 AM
How is Treacle doing this morning ? xx

Zoobec
03-05-2019, 06:07 AM
How is Treacle doing this morning ? xx
I was just wondering the same :wave: xx

Pets mum
03-05-2019, 07:37 AM
a few small overnight poos, and a good amount of wee, I would say she's nibbling rather than eating. I've managed to get some critical care down her, and some water after her meds, we're getting quite good at it between us, she doesn't run away now ! She seems quite bright in herself, so hopefully the abx will make a difference over w/end, not sure what else I can do. Thanks for thinking of her both, me and Treacle really appreciate it xxx

Omi
03-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Sending lots more vibes for Treacle rabbit.

Glingle
03-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Sending lots of feeling better today vibes for her x

loobers25
03-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Sending all thr vibes in the world for your Treacle. And aldi bubbly chocolate vibes for you! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

joey&boo
03-05-2019, 08:40 AM
More vibes from Boobly & crew xx

Zoobec
03-05-2019, 09:23 AM
It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her :love: you might find she will eat pellet mush or critical care from a bowl if itís mixed with mashed banana or fruit/veg baby food. Frosty recommends the Aldi pouch apples carrots and parsnip, I think itís a copy of the Ellaís kitchen ones.

Topping up the vibes and sending hugs xx

loobers25
03-05-2019, 07:32 PM
What's occuring Treacle bun are you ok?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Craig 1965
03-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Topping up the vibes from Hillian and the crew here, for Treacle. x

Pets mum
03-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone, paws crossed but it looks like the abx are starting to work. Had a real scare this afternoon though, she was just flat and not looking good, I got down on floor with her, hugged her close and massaged her tummy. Half hour later big pile of poos all over the rug, and I don't care ! :lol: as long as she is pooping I'm happy. Really appreciate everyone's good wishes and vibes, when you're on your own with a sick animal, it's so good to the have support of you lovely fellow RUers :love:

Beau Belle
03-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Poor little Treacle xx

My Pepper favours greens when poorly with UTI - the vet said I should give her low calcium veg, as all her favourites are high in calcium. Mashed pellets goes down better than hard pellets, so worth giving it a go xx

Omi
03-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Poor Treacle :( Sending her lots of vibes that the abx start to work well soon so that she feels more comfortable.

Pets mum
03-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Poor little Treacle xx

My Pepper favours greens when poorly with UTI - the vet said I should give her low calcium veg, as all her favourites are high in calcium. Mashed pellets goes down better than hard pellets, so worth giving it a go xx

Thank you, yes I've been mashing a few with Aldi baby apple and Banana, trouble is Treacle is preferring room service at the moment, she'll eat if I sit and hand feed her :roll:

Graciee
04-05-2019, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone, paws crossed but it looks like the abx are starting to work. Had a real scare this afternoon though, she was just flat and not looking good, I got down on floor with her, hugged her close and massaged her tummy. Half hour later big pile of poos all over the rug, and I don't care ! [emoji38] as long as she is pooping I'm happy. Really appreciate everyone's good wishes and vibes, when you're on your own with a sick animal, it's so good to the have support of you lovely fellow RUers :love:Poor baby! Sending her and you all the vibes :) xx

joey&boo
04-05-2019, 08:49 AM
what a gift. Good girl Treacly. i hope you keep on with your progress xx

Zoobec
04-05-2019, 08:55 AM
I hope Treacle is feeling better today, sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

Pets mum
04-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Thank you everyone, she was eating last night like she'd never seen food before ! Little bit slow this morning, but we are due our meds in an hour, so hopefully they will pick her up again, think I'll have some myself !

Pets mum
06-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Please could I ask for more vibes for my girl. She has been hospitilised this morning, and is now very poorly. She started to go downhill fast yesterday, and is now in stasis, I have been up all night with her, praying for a miracle right now :( thanks everyone

Graciee
06-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Please could I ask for more vibes for my girl. She has been hospitilised this morning, and is now very poorly. She started to go downhill fast yesterday, and is now in stasis, I have been up all night with her, praying for a miracle right now :( thanks everyoneI'm so sorry, sending you and Treacle a million vibes and hugs xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Glingle
06-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Oh no. Sending as many vibes as I can muster for Treacle and lots of hugs for you xxx

Jack's-Jane
06-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Please could I ask for more vibes for my girl. She has been hospitilised this morning, and is now very poorly. She started to go downhill fast yesterday, and is now in stasis, I have been up all night with her, praying for a miracle right now :( thanks everyone

Oh no, I am really sorry to read this latest update. Sending lots of vibes xx

kattymieoww
06-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Sending lots of healing vibes for your girl.x

Babsie
06-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Sending lots of vibes to your poorly Treacle. X

Omi
06-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Oh no Treacle :( Sending loads of vibes for your lovely girlie.

Craig 1965
06-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Sorry to read this - sending millions of vibes for Treacle.

tonibun
06-05-2019, 03:56 PM
I am sorry Treacle is quite poorly and hope she improves, bless her xx

Pets mum
06-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Vets just rang, she has been on an IV drip all day, they have been syringe feeding her, but is now nibbling on hay and hopping around. They are happy for her to come home later. Apparently she now holds the record for nibbling through an IV line the quickest, they had to put a little buster collar on her ! We're not out of the woods yet, but she'd been peeing ok these last couple of days, so not really sure what caused today's episode. To be honest I'm not 100% sure she has been getting the full amount of abx from the syringe when I've done it, as her chest fur has been wet.
Thank you so much everyone for your good wishes and vibes, me and Treacle really appreciate them xxxx

kattymieoww
06-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Progress at least,topping up the vibes for her.x

Zoobec
06-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Sending lots of vibes for her, I hope she is home and feeling better soon xx

Glingle
06-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Great news, bless her chewing through the IV line! I hope she continues to improve once she’s home x

Craig 1965
06-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Ah - that's a positive update and I'm sure Treacle will be so pleased to be back home with you in her familar surroundings. I'm sure she will continue to improve from the love and warmth that you will be giving her. Sending more vibes for Treacle and a hug for you. x

Scrappy's Little Helper
06-05-2019, 07:10 PM
I'm so sorry to read that Treacle has had a set back. But I'm pleased that she is now a bit brighter and can come home later today. xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

tonibun
06-05-2019, 07:34 PM
That sounds good. Sending Treacle more recovery vibes. xx

Omi
06-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Topping up the vibes for little Miss Treacle. I hope she is able to come home soon.

Pets mum
06-05-2019, 08:53 PM
We're home ! She's like a different bun from this morning, really bouncy, not sure what caused the problem this morning, I honestly thought that was it !
Thank you once again, you lovely people for being so caring xxx

joey&boo
06-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Poor baba Treacle & you. I've been at work til now & missed all this. Lods more vibes xxx

Pets mum
06-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Poor baba Treacle & you. I've been at work til now & missed all this. Lods more vibes xxx

Thank you xxx

Glingle
06-05-2019, 09:27 PM
I’m so pleased to hear that she’s home and looking so well. I hope you can all get a good nights sleep tonight. Sending lots of continuing to feel better vibes x

Jack's-Jane
07-05-2019, 05:05 AM
We're home ! She's like a different bun from this morning, really bouncy, not sure what caused the problem this morning, I honestly thought that was it !
Thank you once again, you lovely people for being so caring xxx

Great news and I hope that she remains well now xx

Zoobec
07-05-2019, 06:00 AM
I’m so glad she is home, I hope she has done well overnight:thumb:

Craig 1965
07-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Great news - and I hope she continues to feed off your love and warmth. She clearly responded well to being back with you. Good girl Treacle. Topping up the vibes. xx

Pets mum
07-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Iím so glad she is home, I hope she has done well overnight:thumb:

Thanks Zoobec, she's certainly not back to 100%, but seems better after her meds, still very picky about food :roll:

Pets mum
07-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Great news - and I hope she continues to feed off your love and warmth. She clearly responded well to being back with you. Good girl Treacle. Topping up the vibes. xx

Oh thanks Craig, that's really nice, yes we do have a good bond, she's my little girlie :love:

Omi
07-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Sending lots more vibes for Treacle. I hope she's soon completely back to normal.

Jack's-Jane
08-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Hopefully Treacle's eating has picked up more overnight ? Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Zoobec
08-05-2019, 05:59 AM
I hope Treacle will soon be eating more normally. Sending lots more vibes for her xx

Pets mum
08-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Thanks again everyone, I've just been mugged for her morning slice of narnie, think somebun's feeling brighter today :)

Zoobec
08-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Good news :thumb:

Jack's-Jane
08-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Thanks again everyone, I've just been mugged for her morning slice of narnie, think somebun's feeling brighter today :)

Yay, well done Treacle !! :love:

Glingle
08-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Brilliant news! So pleased that she’s feeling better.