• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UTI help appreciated for Treacle Update 6/5/19

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
It was all going too well :( Treacle went a for another dental yesterday, which was to remove just one bothersome spur. I asked vet to check her wee, while she was under g/a, as she had been spotting outside of her tray, and straining a bit vet confirmed a UTI. Came home with metacam, and vet ordered abx.
Treacle was straight in her hay box munching when I got her home, but then seemed to go downhill. I've been up and down all night checking on her, no eating, no poos and no wees, and not looking happy, so straight back to vets this morning.
By the time I got there she had a done a little wee in the carrier, not a big one like yesterday that I got all over my trousers :roll:, she was given more gut stimulant, vet said her bladder felt normal size and not over full. The abx had arrived so brought that home. She has been given Co-Trimoxazole for. 4.3 ml dosage, anyone have any experience of this ? I can't find much information, but maybe I'm just so tired, I can't think straight. Was out at 5 am in the pouring rain picking nice lush grass, she wouldn't touch it unless I held it !
Sorry if that's all a bit garbled, I'm running on caffeine at the moment, just wanted to know a bit more about the abx, has anyone else been given this ?
Thanks xx

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience of uti in bunnies so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes. Picking grass and brambles in the rain in the middle of the night sounds familiar though. As does hand feeding, after his last dental Frosty would only eat if I brought it to him and fed him by hand. In fact he became depressed and would only eat hay if I sat with him, in fact that is why I went to the rescue and found him a hay eating monster friend:lol:

I hope she is feeling better soon and that you get some sleep tonight:thumb:

Sending hugs xx

I don’t have any experience of uti in bunnies so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes. Picking grass and brambles in the rain in the middle of the night sounds familiar though. As does hand feeding, after his last dental Frosty would only eat if I brought it to him and fed him by hand. In fact he became depressed and would only eat hay if I sat with him, in fact that is why I went to the rescue and found him a hay eating monster friend:lol:

I hope she is feeling better soon and that you get some sleep tonight:thumb:

Sending hugs xx

Thank you, yes now I remember, Frosty did prefer room service :lol: I did wonder if Treacle was having me on a bit :roll: I've just caught her eating a bit for herself thank goodness.

Thank you, yes now I remember, Frosty did prefer room service :lol: I did wonder if Treacle was having me on a bit :roll: I've just caught her eating a bit for herself thank goodness.

Yes, he had me on for well over a week :roll: I’m glad she is eating now, topping up the vibes xx

Co-trimoxazole is a mixture of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (AKA 'Septrin') and usually very effective in the treatment of UTIs as long as the bacteria causing the infection is sensitive to the abx. Is Treacle also on some pain relief as UTIs/cystitis can be painful and pain will affect her eating/gut motility.

Sending vibes for her xx

Boo has been enjoying room service too. I'm so sorry Treacly bun is struggling. I hope the abx work & she feels better soon. I don't have any UTI experience & I don't think my buns have used that anti biotic before. Loads of vibes xx

Pleased to hear she’s starting to eat a bit more now. Not had any experience with that particular antibiotic sorry. I know in humans antibiotics for UTI’s kick in within 24-48hrs, so I hope she feels better soon. I still think you did a great job picking up on the UTI so quickly.
Just seen Jane’s post - that is the antibiotic Willow had for her urine infection, she had loxicom for pain relief, but she was much better 24 hrs after starting the antibiotics.

Co-trimoxazole is a mixture of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (AKA 'Septrin') and usually very effective in the treatment of UTIs as long as the bacteria causing the infection is sensitive to the abx. Is Treacle also on some pain relief as UTIs/cystitis can be painful and pain will affect her eating/gut motility.

Sending vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane, yes she is on metacam, I'm really struggling to get her to eat, and no poops since last night. They gave her another gut stimulant this morning. I've not long syringed some ground nuggets mixed with baby food, but not sure how much went in, same with the abx. She's just sitting looking at me now :(

Thanks Jane, yes she is on metacam, I'm really struggling to get her to eat, and no poops since last night. They gave her another gut stimulant this morning. I've not long syringed some ground nuggets mixed with baby food, but not sure how much went in, same with the abx. She's just sitting looking at me now :(

What prokinetics (gut motility meds) is she having and has she had any additional fluid therapy ?

What prokinetics (gut motility meds) is she having and has she had any additional fluid therapy ?

I've no idea what the gut motility med was, the vet just administered that. No additional fluid therapy, but she has actually been drinking. She looks quite bright in herself, I'm going to go and pick some more long grass for her, it's really stalky and it's been raining all day, so should have good moisture content. It's at times like this I sometimes think I should move, I have to rely on a friend to give me a lift to vets, and it's a 40 mile round trip each time.

I've similar transport woes often. It adds to stress doesn't it. I should have moved to north yorkshire not east lancs - its so difficult to get anywhere & massively time consuming

Its good to hear JJ's views on her abx

Thanks everyone, don't want to tempt fate, but think all your lovely vibes are starting to work, we've got a few poos and some wee ! I'm so shattered, would someone like to come and syringe feed me :(

Thanks everyone, don't want to tempt fate, but think all your lovely vibes are starting to work, we've got a few poos and some wee ! I'm so shattered, would someone like to come and syringe feed me :(

.............or set up an IV wine drip !!

Sounds as though Treacle is showing some simes of improvement xx

I am so glad your bunny is improving. It can be so stressful when your beloved pet is ill. I recommend a dose of chocolate anything for you.

a few small overnight poos, and a good amount of wee, I would say she's nibbling rather than eating. I've managed to get some critical care down her, and some water after her meds, we're getting quite good at it between us, she doesn't run away now ! She seems quite bright in herself, so hopefully the abx will make a difference over w/end, not sure what else I can do. Thanks for thinking of her both, me and Treacle really appreciate it xxx

Back