• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gracie - stumped with what to do about uneaten caecotrophs

nicki

Warren Scout
Gracie is a 3.5 year old rescue who I recently bonded with my 8 year old Oliver - they are lovely together.

She has a history of being overweight as a result of being kept in a small cage for a long time and fed on lots of pellets.

She is now at a much better weight around 2.5kg. Her dewlap has reduced. Her bottom is always clean and she doesn't seem to have a problem reaching. She is quite the athlete in terms of jumping and climbing.

We have had on/off issues with uneaten caecotrophs in the morning. It stops and then starts up again.

Gracie is eating 1 15ml spoon of SS pellets morning and evening as well as a pinch of Profibre protexin
Other than that unlimited mixed timothy and Ings hay
Some fresh parsley and coriander
Dried plantain and dandelion.
Apple twigs.

She had a health check at the vets which did not identify any issues - teeth were checked - I may well need to go back.
I have been giving her a fibreplex blob twice daily and Profibre in the water.

She is a very good hay eater and produces lovely large golden poos during the day.

She is very lively, active and friendly but easily frightened and needs reassurance. Could this be a longstanding habit because of how she was kept?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nicki

I think I'd try a further pellet reduction but keep everything else in her diet (sounds yum). I've no idea whether the pro fibre could make her cecos taste bad? Otherwise it does sound like learned behaviour. I hope you can find a way to get her to eat her packed lunch like a good girl

I don't have any suggestions :( I know bunnies with extra caecotroph production they often recommend to stop anything but hay.. but I'm not sure. I didn't want to read and run. I hope somebody more knowledgable can jump in! good healthy vibes for Gracie x

I think I'd try a further pellet reduction but keep everything else in her diet (sounds yum). I've no idea whether the pro fibre could make her cecos taste bad? Otherwise it does sound like learned behaviour. I hope you can find a way to get her to eat her packed lunch like a good girl

eta: this is what frances harcourt brown recommended for my chubby bunny Ralph . It did the trick.

How far off her ideal weight is she?

Thanks Joey and Boo,

I think she has reached a reasonable weight now at 2.5kg - the vet thought she was about right.
She was 3.6 kg when she first arrived at the rescue.

I have cut the pellets down gradually to about 15 pellets am and pm - less than an egg cup,
given her history and dependency I don't think I could withdraw much more at this point.

I tried Fibafirst as an alternative but she wasn't having it.

She clearly has an interesting relationship with food as she throws herself at me with excitement when I come in the shed and I have had to take precautions to stop her hurtling out the door even with a barrier! She also climbs up and jumps on my lap and frisks me for food.

Fortunately, she loves her hay and is starting to really enjoy dried herbs and fresh herbs which she didn't when she first arrived!!

Nicki

Gracie is a 3.5 year old rescue who I recently bonded with my 8 year old Oliver - they are lovely together.

She has a history of being overweight as a result of being kept in a small cage for a long time and fed on lots of pellets.

She is now at a much better weight around 2.5kg. Her dewlap has reduced. Her bottom is always clean and she doesn't seem to have a problem reaching. She is quite the athlete in terms of jumping and climbing.

We have had on/off issues with uneaten caecotrophs in the morning. It stops and then starts up again.

Gracie is eating 1 15ml spoon of SS pellets morning and evening as well as a pinch of Profibre protexin
Apple twigs.

She had a health check at the vets which did not identify any issues - teeth were checked - I may well need to go back.

She is a very good hay eater and produces lovely large golden poos during the day.

She is very lively, active and friendly but easily frightened and needs reassurance. Could this be a longstanding habit because of how she was kept?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nicki
dear nicki,-here is a website about poops-should help diagnose http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html sincerely james waller from across the great pond,usa

Apple twigs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nicki

Not eating cecals is usually a dietary/health issue BUT in a few cases it can be related to a psychological issue/stress/ learned behaviour from a previous 'poor' home

I agree with trying to go to a pellet free diet. None of my adult Rabbits are fed any pellets at all

You can download a pellet free diet sheet recommended by Frances Harcourt Brown from here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

There is also some very useful general dietary advice on Tamsin's Website (Tamsin owns this Forum)

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Last edited:
Thanks all for your useful suggestions and links,

I plan to continue to lower pellet intake which is already below recommended amounts working towards pellet free. I have been careful because I didn't want Gracie's weight gain to be too drastic.

They already have a lot a good range of hay and fresh herbs parsley, coriander and Basil but I will try some more leafy green veg.

If things don't improve quickly, I will get Gracie's teeth rechecked too. I really don't think her dewlap is getting in the way as she is clean and so athletic!

I think psychological issues could also be a possible factor - Gracie does show some unpredictable stress responses.

Best wishes,
Nicki

Back