• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back to the vet again

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Teddy is off for a recheck this evening. He is falling over more so I think he is having a relapse of his tilt symptoms. Some of you may know I've opted against going for ear surgery with him as his quality of life is pretty good even when he has his relapses, so I will speak to the vet about a steroid injection.

I've also been watching him eat and I think he is losing some of the feeling in his mouth as a result of his facial paralysis, which might explain why he kept poking his tongue out. He tries to eat grass but ends up just mouthing it and dropping it again so I don't know if he can feel it properly in his mouth.

We've been feeding him loads of critical care with baby food this week to try and fatten him up so hopefully put some weight on, although if he's struggling to eat this might explain some of his weight loss. He certainly has a good appetite!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Teddy is off for a recheck this evening. He is falling over more so I think he is having a relapse of his tilt symptoms. Some of you may know I've opted against going for ear surgery with him as his quality of life is pretty good even when he has his relapses, so I will speak to the vet about a steroid injection.

I've also been watching him eat and I think he is losing some of the feeling in his mouth as a result of his facial paralysis, which might explain why he kept poking his tongue out. He tries to eat grass but ends up just mouthing it and dropping it again so I don't know if he can feel it properly in his mouth.

We've been feeding him loads of critical care with baby food this week to try and fatten him up so hopefully put some weight on, although if he's struggling to eat this might explain some of his weight loss. He certainly has a good appetite!

I hope the Vet can come up with some suggestions of the best way forward for Teddy xx

I think it's mostly medical management with him, provided of course that there's nothing else causing these symptoms. I just want him to be happy and carry on charging around like a lunatic for as long as he can!

Thank you all. Everyone on here has been so kind and supportive of us!

Just returned from the vet, they gave him a steroid injection so hopefully over the next 24 hours he should stop falling over. His weight is 1.49kg so he's barely gained anything which isn't great, I'm to keep feeding him as much as he can manage. If he loses more weight then we are in trouble so fingers crossed.

Thanks guys. I will carry on with him as long as he is happy. The weight is definitely an issue as he doesn't have much leeway to lose any more so I'll be doing everything I can to help him. I've just been squeezing baby food into ice cube trays to help portion it out and I stopped to think I must look crazy [emoji23]

Back