• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is he a mixed lop or is his hear hurt

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
How can I tell if Finn is a lop ear cross? When I picked Finn up I remember him having both ears sat up like your regular bunny. When I got him home I noticed one had flopped down. I was confused but thought maybe I'd remembered wrongly or maybe it'd somehow gotten squished down in the carrier. Then a week or so ago I noticed both ears were suddenly up again. Now it's dropped again and I'm just very confused. He's about 5ish months old so I would have thought his ears would be in their set way by now.
I took him to the vets a few days ago for his vaccinations and the vet gave him a look over and said he was fine and healthy but I totally forgot about the ear thing.
Can rabbits that aren't true lops/uppy eared bunnies change their ears?

When I first brought him home
cqPyliL.jpg

A couple of weeks later
zzWdEIh.jpg

Now that same ear has drooped over again

Some cross breed Bunnies have odd loppy ears, often referred to as 'Helicopter Ears'. As he has had a recent Vet check and all is well I would not worry :)

The babies I hand reared often changed their 'ear direction' as they were growing up :lol: He looks to have quite a round 'loppy' shaped face so I think he could be a lop cross :)

Some things like warmer weather can cause a helicopter eared bunny to change - more blood going through the ear to keep cool will make it heavier and it may lop. Sometimes they can change if there is something wrong. They can alter quite a lot when they are young as well, and may become more permanent in position in a few months. As JJ said, if he's had a recent vet check, I wouldn't worry and just enjoy his uniqueness.

My Snowflake has ears that change direction ... Nothing to worry about.

3461i87.jpg

9qz2xl.jpg

2eye7og.jpg

Snowflake is on the flower pot in the last one. His brother, Frosty is chillin near by. The girls are off exploring and eating!

What a lovely looking rabbit you have there x

Last edited:
I had a bunny like that. He was a lionhead x holland lop. His ears kinda stabilized as an adult (airplane, but he could keep them completely straight) but when he was around your rabbit's age his ears were all over the place. There even was a phase when the tip of his ears were kinda floppy and it looked really weird.
Anyway, even 'real' lops have various degree of mobility depending on how wide the crown of their head is. Right now, I've got two 'purebred' lops, one of them has floppy ears but can put them up completely (he only does this only one ear at a time, though) while the other can barely lift them to an horizontal position (it looks kinda sad, I think ^^).

The babies I hand reared often changed their 'ear direction' as they were growing up [emoji38] He looks to have quite a round 'loppy' shaped face so I think he could be a lop cross :)
Yeah I noticed the rounded head shape and thought there's probably a good chance he has some lop in him. I'm not sure of his exact breed, he's fairly small still at 5ish months, 1.5kg and I dont think he'll get much bigger now. I'm assuming he's some backyard pet shop mix but who knows.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Some things like warmer weather can cause a helicopter eared bunny to change - more blood going through the ear to keep cool will make it heavier and it may lop. Sometimes they can change if there is something wrong. They can alter quite a lot when they are young as well, and may become more permanent in position in a few months. As JJ said, if he's had a recent vet check, I wouldn't worry and just enjoy his uniqueness.
This is interesting. It's been very windy and terrible weather here the past while and so I've had the rooms radiators cranked up a bit as our windows aren't the best. Maybe when the weather improves it'll change again

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back