• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some varmit has attacked Lillian!

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Before I start mass panic at the title, Lillian is ok. Ok apart from a bit of a nasty wound just abover her eye.
'Hillain' have been in the garden all weekend - in between showers and stuff, and I've been in the kitchen cooking and keeping an eye on them - or so I thought. Last night before I went to bed, I did my daily check on Lillian for 2 reasons. Firstly to check for anything out of the normal and secondly to try to get her used to being handled - as she is still very aprehensive about being picked up. Whilst I was holding her, my wife noticed a wound on Lillians head, her right hand side (so away from me) and just above her eye - in fact very very close to.
On closer inspection, this is a curved shape injury - the fur has all gone down to the skin, almost as if it has been instantly shaved, with a minor cut - only just breaking the skin, at the top of the injury. Lillian didn't present as being in any state of shock, in facther behaviour was more or less as normal.
We've put some special animal anticeptic (Vetacin?) on the wound just to kill off any bugs that might be there, being careful not to get any in her eye.
It's a very weird injury and obviously happened on saturday and my guess is that it can only have been caused by the beak of a bird - most likely the highly aggresive magpie that seems to frequent our garden. And whilst I openly embrace all animals, there's a point where my tollerance becomes strained by the aggresive and unwanted visits of a bird that is clearly seeking to deliberately attack our bunnies.
It's my fault for not paying enough attention and I've already shooed the damn magpie away twice this afternoon.
Lillian is fine - Henry has been his attentive self and she's eating as much as she usually does. I'll monitor the wound for any adverse swelling or sign of infection but we're dabbing it with Vetacin and just keeping it clean. We were going to put a Mr Men plaster on her wound - but that might not have looked too good for her image.
I'll pop a photo on when I get a moment with her.

Oh no poor Lillian :( I think I would take her to the vet tomorrow as wounds on rabbits can sometimes become infected. It could also have been a cat I guess?

Before I start mass panic at the title, Lillian is ok. Ok apart from a bit of a nasty wound just abover her eye.
'Hillain' have been in the garden all weekend - in between showers and stuff, and I've been in the kitchen cooking and keeping an eye on them - or so I thought. Last night before I went to bed, I did my daily check on Lillian for 2 reasons. Firstly to check for anything out of the normal and secondly to try to get her used to being handled - as she is still very aprehensive about being picked up. Whilst I was holding her, my wife noticed a wound on Lillians head, her right hand side (so away from me) and just above her eye - in fact very very close to.
On closer inspection, this is a curved shape injury - the fur has all gone down to the skin, almost as if it has been instantly shaved, with a minor cut - only just breaking the skin, at the top of the injury. Lillian didn't present as being in any state of shock, in facther behaviour was more or less as normal.
We've put some special animal anticeptic (Vetacin?) on the wound just to kill off any bugs that might be there, being careful not to get any in her eye.
It's a very weird injury and obviously happened on saturday and my guess is that it can only have been caused by the beak of a bird - most likely the highly aggresive magpie that seems to frequent our garden. And whilst I openly embrace all animals, there's a point where my tollerance becomes strained by the aggresive and unwanted visits of a bird that is clearly seeking to deliberately attack our bunnies.
It's my fault for not paying enough attention and I've already shooed the damn magpie away twice this afternoon.
Lillian is fine - Henry has been his attentive self and she's eating as much as she usually does. I'll monitor the wound for any adverse swelling or sign of infection but we're dabbing it with Vetacin and just keeping it clean. We were going to put a Mr Men plaster on her wound - but that might not have looked too good for her image.
I'll pop a photo on when I get a moment with her.
Oh poor Lillian :( I can't even put mine outside much now, there's a new cat which loves to hunt and it goes after my buns, birds, squirrels.. It keeps catching stuff and leaving the remains in the garden too :/

Even when the pen is predator proof makes no difference, the buns are as freaked out regardless :(

I hope Lillian is doing well and the cut heals nicely, looks as though she got away with it :)

If it was mine, I'd expect that they'd caught it on something. Lopsy's stupidly accident prone and fearless/reckless and Aboleth doesn't have any depth perception and sometimes overdoes her runs :roll: We've some chicken wire covering a gap that could be better folded back and that would totally be my first culprit. But with your experience, a creature wouldn't be out of the picture :S

If it was mine, I'd expect that they'd caught it on something. Lopsy's stupidly accident prone and fearless/reckless and Aboleth doesn't have any depth perception and sometimes overdoes her runs :roll: We've some chicken wire covering a gap that could be better folded back and that would totally be my first culprit. But with your experience, a creature wouldn't be out of the picture :S

Thank you for this Keletkezes. This was my initial thought, but the fur loss is about the width of a finger - so it's not a scratch or graze. It would be indicitave of the entire fur being sheered off with a quick snip - something only done via a sharp beak. Sad - but it's the only rational conclusion I can come too. And I've seen the offending brute magpie attack Lillian and Henry before. :(

Oh no poor Lillian, and what a worry. I have been and got a long hose pipe and keep it to hand when my two are playing out. The big cat from across the back seems to stalk them - so whilst I am against any animal cruelty I do spray him with the hose.

Oh poor Lillian, just read this thread Craig, hope she's ok and none the worse for her scare xx

Back