• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Hobo

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
Hobo didn't seem his usual bouncy self this morning - he is always first to greet me and dive into his food but this morning he seemed very quiet. He has always had a bit of a pop belly but this morning it seemed more bloated that usual. I gave him some probiotic, tummy rubs and lots of hay which he was eating. I have had to come into work but have made an appointment with the vets for later. My OH will be home by lunchtime so I will ask him to keep a close eye on him.
I am worried.

Awww Julie, I hope he feels better soon. There's nothing worse than being away from home when you have a poorly bun :(

Hi,

Is he still doing his poos and are they normal, if not it could be serious. worse case a blockage in his intestine which I had recently. But it could be that he's just having and quiet couple of hours. It's a process of elimination. if your really still not at all happy when you go to the vets they could do an x ray to check for a blockage. If he is still running about and poos as normal I'm sure he will be fine.

They are such a worry and you have to be so quick to react.

Hope all is well

Maureen

Awwwww poor Hobo - hope he's feeling better soon - it funny how us bunny mums just know something is up. Fingers and Paws crossed that he's o.k this evening - keep us posted.

Has Hobo been to see uncle Simon yet? if so what was the outcome?

Hope he's just having a quiet day and nothing is too badly wrong with him.

Nose rubs from auntie Tracy please.

Hobo has been to see Uncle Simon and had two injections, one of Metoclopramide and one of Metacam plus been given Prepulsid. I have to give him more Prepulsid in the morning and syringe feed him tonight and tomorrow morning. I dutifully mixed up the Science Selective with liquid paraffin and probiotic in warm water ready to syringe feed him but he just ate it out of the bowl - he has passed some pellets and has also eaten some grass and parsley. He seems a bit less bloated and more mobile but that maybe just the Metacam - if he is no better in the morning, I have to take him back to Simon.
Thank goodness for this site - I would not have realised how serious this could be if it had not been for all your experiences.

I just found these pics - this is how I usually get greeted by Hobo
Image06.jpg

Who is always so desperate for his dinner he will help himself if necessary
Image04.jpg

Or will look out for me if I am late with his dinner
Image05.jpg

This morning he just sat and looked at me - no wonder I knew immediately that something was wrong.

Towsbuns said:
Image05.jpg

Awww bless him, I'm glad he's feeling a bit better.

Julie, I also just love that photo, please can I put it in my friends gallery on my website? :D Pretty please?

bunnyhuggger said:
Towsbuns said:
Image05.jpg

Awww bless him, I'm glad he's feeling a bit better.

Julie, I also just love that photo, please can I put it in my friends gallery on my website? :D Pretty please?
Of course you can use his pic.
Unfortunately, Hobo has worsened. I took him back to the vets yesterday and he has been kept in. Simon told me that he may not make it through the night. I am waiting on the call - if I don't hear by 10:00 am I will call them.

Back